Does Anybody Know anything about this print?

Ghost of the drowned warrior Shimamura Danjo Takanori

He was a retainer of warlord Hosokawa Takakuni. he was drowned in battle fighting to save his lord. according to legend the crabs in the region where he was drowned bear markings that resemble his features. refered to as heike crabs i believe. he drowned in the Nozato River. in the settzu provence

oh and yes it is Kuniyoshi. it was the last single sheet warrior print that he did that was not part of a series. it was published in 1843-44 although it is believed he drew it years earlier.

i only know this because i visited the kuniyoshi exibit at the japanese cultural center not too long ago. and i have this print

Yeah, it's not in "Brigands", if, as Bart said, this print was not part of a series. Bart sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Bart: I understand you have an original of this print? Can I ask you what you paid for it? I have a couple Kuniyoshi originals, one Suikoden, one not. An unfortunate fraction of my art-induced credit card debt. Oops. Thanks.

(Timothy Clark published a great Kuniyoshi book in 2009. The heike crab three warrior print's in there. Maybe you dudes have that book, too.)

Pshakman, I do have that book you're talking about. thats where i got my info and my print from. i picked it up at the Japan society exibit. Poor wording on my part i didnt mean to convey that i had a lone art print so i couldnt begin to know what one would cost. I'm a poor typist and it was just less words to say "i have a print" than to type "i have a book with a print of this in side" sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, "Demon of Painting" is a pricey out-of-print Kyosai book. I highly suggest you buy the new Clark Kuniyoshi book while it's in print. $50 on Amazon, I believe. Surprisingly, Edo-period prints can be very affordable. I slid into a bunch of Kunisada prints that are in Horitaka's "Tattoos of the Floating World" for $275 a pop!! Fucking dope.