Can this tattoo be polished?

Hey Guys,

I had some questions about a tattoo I got 4 days ago.

I was going for a roman numeral clock tower face that would fade into my skin (Kind of like the first image I attached - the black and white one - I love how it blends into the skin and has some dimension to it as well).

The tattoo I got was not what I was expecting as it seemed flat and incomplete rather then a blended tattoo that faded and had some dimension to it.

We'll now I was wondering if there was any way to breathe life into this tattoo?

I was thinking about making it look more realistic with some shading and have someone try and blend it where the open part is to my skin.

But honestly the lines seem pretty dark so I am not sure if this is even possible anymore as I know you need some soft lines to make it look realistic.

What do you guys think?

If this was your tattoo how would you make it look more realistic?

Do you know of any realism tattoo artist that can help me out?

A little about me:

I'm from Vancouver, BC and this is my second tattoo.

Both are black and grey as I love realism and the simple smaller tattoos.

I may get one more tattoo after I get this one hopefully spruced up.

Thanks guys!

Let me know if you want to see more pictures.

I'm not a tattooer but I think somebody should be able to add some dimension to that tattoo to make it look finished. Jesse Strong at Steveston Tattoo Company comes first to mind because he does really nice black and grey--he does really nice everything--but maybe somebody has other Vancouver area recommendations as well.

Yeah I did get it a few days ago, but it's pretty much only lines and no shading I don't know how much different it is actually going to look.

The redness is gone it's currently peeling but the only difference may be a bit of colour but other then that since there is no shading I don't see it looking any different.

But I'm not rushing I won't get it reworked for another month or so but I just wanted to get people's opinions on it and what I should do so when I do get the tattoo reworked I'll have an idea.

it is

i would echo my same thoughts again - leave this tattoo go

go get another tattoo

repeat

although i didnt really like the tattoo

i dont hate it either

like if you go get more (but better) tattoos

this one might look just fine

point is they dont have to be perfect

in concept or execution

to be cool

probably wont make sense till you get more tattoos though

anyway - welccome - enjoy - and one vote for leave it as is

Thanks for your opinions guys.

It is the same thread it's just I couldn't post anything outside of the initiation thread since I'm a new member when I made that first thread.

I understand where your coming from when you say it doesn't have to be perfect, but I know what this tattoo could be.

I can see it in my head, but I don't know if it can be done.

Just some more dimension and realism would make me happy, but the thing once again is that I don't know if it could be done.

It's the first week so im going to see how I feel in another week or two, but as for right now Ivreally want to add some depth to the tattoo

I think it's fine. I'd get more tattoos around it and, if you want, let an artists flush it out some to build it into the surrounding work. You could have a much worse tattoo in my opinion. I also agree you should let it heal and let yourself get used to it. A little tattoo remorse is common.

That's an awkward spot. I'm not sure how much detail could really be worked in there and if it CAN be done, I'm still not sure it would be what you want. I say let it heal, sit on it for a while after that, and if you're still not in love with it then, just laser it or cover it up. Way easier to start over when you just have linework than to go through all the trouble to add more lines and shading, and potentially still not get what you want, and then have to cover up or laser off all that extra work.

In the future, I would be highly skeptical of these kinds of tattoos that are popular on Pinterest, Instagram, etc. Either they're photoshopped or require a super high level of skill that not many artists can accomplish.

I'm not a tattooer but I think somebody should be able to add some dimension to that tattoo to make it look finished. Jesse Strong at Steveston Tattoo Company comes first to mind because he does really nice black and grey--he does really nice everything--but maybe somebody has other Vancouver area recommendations as well.

+1

I recommend the same. Jesse Strong. or perhaps Miles Kanne (I've been tattooed by him several times over the years). Someone at the Steveston Tattoo Co shop can polish your turd and turn it into gold; something that before made you feel anxious but after will make you feel proud. They know their game so go talk to someone -in person- in that shop and be open to their suggestion. Don't be hesitant of going beyond what you think are your limits. i.e. bigger bolder colour etc. Let the tattoo challenge what you think is possible. Most importantly be patient. That is what tattooing has taught me.

welcome and good luck :)

http://websta.me/n/stevestontattoocompany

http://websta.me/n/mrjessestrong

http://websta.me/n/mileskanne

Emilio Hidalgo at The Fall does realistic stuff, I guess it's nice work. I have a friend who has a sleeve by him which I think looks "nice", considering that I don't like any realism tattoos or can really tell a good from a bad one... There might also be a guy or two at Gastown that can help. Final idea would be that Saga guy at Rainfire something something tattoo.

It will never look like your reference tattoo, but you can make it look more like a finished piece of work.

Out of curiosity, which shop did you get it at?