How do you treat other tattooists that visit your shop?

Deb Yarian

A recent thread from a customer's point of view got me to thinking------ as a tattooist, how do you treat visitors to your shop who are also tattooists.

Have you been treated well or horribly when visiting other people's shops?

I know that the poor treatment that ive received stopping in at a shop has shaped the way That I treat visitors.

we got a lot tattooers visiting from other countries at loxodrom. usually they want to meet one of the 2 guys we keep in the back rooms. i work in the very front of the studio, so i am also the first contact everybody has. it all depends on what is going on and what the person wants. if i'm not working, i am polite and talk a little bit with them. if i'm busy, i don't have the time. it seems like a lot of times the tattooers who come are looking for a guest spot in berlin, and sometimes i send them down to another studio that takes a lot of guest artists.

i don't really visit other studios. because i think i will just be bothering them if i'm not there to get a tattoo. i'm not the personality type that likes to meet people and talk a lot.

I met George Campise, when he was at Everlasting, on a trip to San Fran. He was unbelievably nice. He invited me to sit with him while he tattooed and just talked to me about all aspects of the business and about himself. I was really influenced by his attitude and the way I was treated. He didn't know me at all, yet he treated me with an unbelievable amount of respect and courtesy. On the same trip, I got tattooed at Blackheart and it was an awesome experience and it left my wife with a great impression of the place. Scott really went out of his way to give us suggestions of what to do in the area. He even stopped tattooing his customer to call his father to ask some questions about Santa Cruz. I met Daniel Albrigo when he was working at Invisible in NYC and he was totally cool to me as well. He knew I wasn't there to get tattooed that day but it didn't matter. We talked about tattooing, our collections, and what not. I've always had really good experiences with Olde City in Philly and Jinx Proof in DC.

I figure if these shops and tattooers can treat me with courtesy and respect, I can do the same to others.

It really depends on the person. For the most part when a tattooer visits, to get something done or not I really enjoy it and try to be a good host. I like talkin shop and sharing stories. Over all, most of the shop's I've visited have treated me the same.

Every now and then we will get someone who is practically bragging about being a tattoo artist. Usually the type who are in it for the life-style or whatever. They get the blow off pretty quick. It may impress the drunk chicks at the bar, it's sure not going to impress me or any of my co-workers.

bunny, yes i work with lars, but we keep him in the back of the studio.

Ha ha ha......I saw Lars' work and was totally blown away!!! I asked people if they had ever heard of him but they hadn't and when i showed them what he was doing they were totally amazed! Chris Lowe is the one who originally showed me Lars' work! I will eventually make it over there some day Brian and will definitely be stopping by the shop (with advanced warning of course) to at least say hello and meet you all! the work that comes out of that shop is phenomenal! Very cool that you work there!

I was trying to find a picture of a recent backpiece that Lars Uwe did, a sort of neo-traditional big samurai helmet with facemask (mempo?). Doesn't appear to be online though ... I was going to stick it up in the backpieces thread because, yes, his work is totally amazing.

Just looked at your site, Brian, interesting to see that you're an NUI grad.... Galway is absolutely beautiful, I love sneaking off there for the odd weekend.

(Sorry for the off-topic post, folks)

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, while this is not 100% been the case, it seems the better the artist, the more likelyhood I will be treated like crap. Sometimes people who don't even tattoo but work at the shop give me the cold shoulder. I went into Tattoo City in SF one time, had a bunch of artwork and stuff to show. The floorwalker literally averted his eyes from it and ignored me. Another time I actually got to meet Ed Hardy. I was so excited I was probably babbling like an idiot I guess. After the 5th or 6th curt, one word responses, I got the point.

Guess I am not in the "clique" and never will be.

I went into Tattoo City in SF one time, had a bunch of artwork and stuff to show. The floorwalker literally averted his eyes from it and ignored me.

I'm not big on the LOL, except I did here. Sometimes the shop helpers have the biggest attitude of them all. It reminds me of when I used to ride bicycles a lot, some of the people I trained with raced semi-professionally, and some didn't. The real athletes were the nicest and most helpful riders, but most of their hanger-ons were complete dicks.

All depends man, these days things are different 90% of the time another "Artist" (whom we don't already know) walks in the shop they are usually either

a) a scratcher

b) want something from us, or

c) both

It's sad that when someone tells me what should be happy news (I'm part of the club! Just passing through!) I have to eye them with suspicion. But such are the times we live in. Everyone's a fucking "artist." Everybody wants something. So when I pass through a shop and get given the ol' up and down myself, I try not to take it too personally, usually a brief chat will put us all on the same page. I mean I don't get indignant or anything, I'm nobody and don't expect anyone to "know who I am" or anything so, no biggie. Sometimes you have to "flash your badge," or "say the secret word," etc. If someone is still shitty though, Oh well. Some people are just assholes, another unfortunate side-effect of the 'biz.

• 3 weeks later...

I think as tattooers we become really good judges of character. Only takes a few seconds to read somebody's vibe. Then treat them accordingly. If they come in with a hot shit attitude, they get a friendly hello. If they seem cool and humble then I'll chit chat with them. And if I'm tattooing, I'll ask them to pull up a chair and chit chat. when I was working in San Jose, we got a couple of really cool guest artists this way.

Real recognize real

• 1 month later...
The only ones I mess with are the guys who are there to buy supplies... I usually have them wait in the corner until _________ comes in. Some fictitious character, of course.

My friend in FL does THE FUNNIEST THING to scratchers that come in asking to buy ink. He tells them "sure, 20 bucks." Takes the $20 up front, goes in the back, fills a small ink cap to the top and hands it to them and goes, "here, DON"T SPILL IT!!!" and watches them walk like tightrope walkers through the parking lot. (and then presumably to their cars where the shit spills everywhere)