Who do you think deserves some recognition?

Iwar

...It was never my intention to shout you down...

Wow, I genuinely just thought we were having an interesting discussion. I didn't for a moment you were doing anything other than expressing your view, which I was interested to hear. What did you post that I could possibly consider being me being shouted down?

Raskolnikov, were you refering to scratchers or traditional artists in general? i think Stewart may have felt that you were putting down most western traditional artists. Correct me if i'm wrong Stewart, and i'm not trying to speak for either of you. just trying to make sure this doesn't become a major argument on a great thread.

Honestly, I didn't mention traditional in the context of artists "scratching away doing other people's flash" at all so I don't understand how I could possibly be "putting down most western traditional artists." I'd be happy to reply to Stewart's points but I imagine this should move to PM or just die away. I'm happy with both.

He's also a genuinely nice bloke. He did my first tattoo, which was me wandering into Into You with a bit of script I'd had knocked up by a calligrapher.

I had no idea who he was, and just went into the studio and asked if someone would be able to do it. After being ridiculed by the person behind the counter, Tomas came out and said he'd do it, (despite it obviously not being his cup of tea at all).

When I went back for my appointment absolutely terrified and flinching all over the shop, he was as nice as pie, even though I suspect I was a nightmare client. I wouldn't wear geometric designs myself, but I do feel a bit dumb now when I look at his work and remember the fact I essentially got him to do some flash on me!

I have never seen calligraphy on anyone's flash sheet? I agree though I will save geometric designs for math class.

He's also a genuinely nice bloke. He did my first tattoo, which was me wandering into Into You with a bit of script I'd had knocked up by a calligrapher.

I had no idea who he was, and just went into the studio and asked if someone would be able to do it. After being ridiculed by the person behind the counter, Tomas came out and said he'd do it, (despite it obviously not being his cup of tea at all).

When I went back for my appointment absolutely terrified and flinching all over the shop, he was as nice as pie, even though I suspect I was a nightmare client. I wouldn't wear geometric designs myself, but I do feel a bit dumb now when I look at his work and remember the fact I essentially got him to do some flash on me!

I have had a couple of conversations with him whilst waiting around outside of Into You and yep, he is delightful. It doesn't surprise me at all that he was so open to the work you brought in, in general I would say that it is a very open and chilled out studio, what with Duncan X also being a professional, calming influence. I wonder if the experience was enough that you would go back for work from Tomas based on seeing his usual tattooing style?

I agree that the Berit guy's work isn't anything special, and I can't stand his website, very hard to navigate plus it has a soundtrack which ruined the podcast I was listening to. The Musa dude's stuff to me looks like it's technically done really well for the style, but I don't like it at all and it doesn't seem to me like something that would stand the test of time. I agree with Stewart that they don't look like tattoos, at least not what I think a tattoo looks like. I don't want to be 90 years old with a blue and pink smear all over my arm. If you like their work though, there's no problem with getting either of them to tattoo you, it's just not something I would every get.

Just to make it clear no one is bagging on you Raskolinikov I wasn't really that into the last guy that Stewart posted either, it was nice work but to me nothing to exceptional, but I'm not really that into traditional Jap style stuff.

I have had a couple of conversations with him whilst waiting around outside of Into You and yep, he is delightful. It doesn't surprise me at all that he was so open to the work you brought in, in general I would say that it is a very open and chilled out studio, what with Duncan X also being a professional, calming influence. I wonder if the experience was enough that you would go back for work from Tomas based on seeing his usual tattooing style?

Nope, I wouldn't, because it's not what I want on me. It took me quite a while to get my head around the fact that I can like or even love some artists work, but not actually want to wear it myself. For instance, I can look at a Lu's Lips piece and just be blown away by the size and scale and shading, but it just doesn't "fit" who I am. It kinda matters to me whether or not the artist is a nice person, because it's such a personal matter, having a big chunk of work done, but I wouldn't get a piece in a style that doesn't fit me, just because they were lovely.

Oh dear, I feel I'm dragging this thread terribly off topic! I'd mention the artist I normally go to, but he's probably got enough recognition and therefore doesn't fit the criteria here....

I agree that the Berit guy's work isn't anything special, and I can't stand his website, very hard to navigate plus it has a soundtrack which ruined the podcast I was listening to. The Musa dude's stuff to me looks like it's technically done really well for the style, but I don't like it at all and it doesn't seem to me like something that would stand the test of time. I agree with Stewart that they don't look like tattoos, at least not what I think a tattoo looks like. I don't want to be 90 years old with a blue and pink smear all over my arm. If you like their work though, there's no problem with getting either of them to tattoo you, it's just not something I would every get.

Yep, I think it would definitely be the minority of people who like their work. I certainly balked the first time I saw it. I'm interested in the idea that they don't look like tattoos though. To me they are a just different way to approach tattooing in an open-minded way. If I live to be 90 I imagine all of my tattoos will be getting pretty blobby. I hope so anyway.

Cookie- I know exactly what you mean.

To throw us back in track here's another dude who's shit I like a lot GOVERNMENT STREET TATTOO - VICTORIA BC - chris david tattoo Chris David he's in Victoria BC. I used to get tattooed by him when he lived in Toronto. I'm not really into the kind of new school or whatever you'd call it stuff he does but his more traditional stuff is really nice

The guys at the Government St. shop in Victoria all do good traditional stuff. I live in Vancouver and I know quite a few people who have been tattooed there. I met

Chris a couple of months ago and he was a really cool guy. I don't think that it can be said enough times. Being nice is huge part of good tattooing.

Someone whose style is interesting to me and has not been mentioned on the forum is, Colin Dale out of Denmark:

Here is a link to his website gallery: Skin and Bone - Tattoo Art by Colin Dale

I like the Nordic Dragons and using that 'pointillism' technique makes the tattoos appear to float on the skin.

Doesn't have any wealth of knowledge or technique, but thinks those tattoos are rather beautiful.