Who do you think deserves some recognition?

Iwar

I'm gonna put Paul Dhuey out there. He just opened a shop in Green Bay, wI. About three hours drive from my house. He used to be at Guru in Cali. Does really great Japanese work...

He's overlooked for someone doing such beautiful Japanese work.I met this girl in NYC who had a Phoenix on her hip from Paul,and it was awesome work.

- - - Updated - - -

http://dadahell.blogspot.ca/

http://www.wallacetattoo.com/?lang=en

http://mintclubtattoo.com/eva-schatz-tattoos/

Cheyenne Sawyer from Atlas tattoo in Portland Oregon.

Not only is he one of the most unique human beings I have ever been friends and co workers with, he has the ability to make ANY idea look amazing. big or small.

The man taught me how to be a real "professional" and I was his boss, lol!

Cheyenne Sawyer :: Atlas Tattoo :: Portland, Oregon

He's overlooked for someone doing such beautiful Japanese work.I met this girl in NYC who had a Phoenix on her hip from Paul,and it was awesome work.

- - - Updated - - -

dadahell

Wallace Tattoo - Tatuaggi Maori, Marchesani, Marchesiani,Polinesiani, Tribali - Milano

MINT CLUB Tattoo Atelier | Eva Schatz ·*Tattoos

I really like his stuff. I had someone comment to me that some of it looked a little outdated...I can kinda see what they meant. He still does very very nice work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Evan Griffiths who co owns Tama Tattoo in Melbourne, Australia. Evan is well known down under but probably not so much elsewhere. In my opinion he is one of the most dynamic tattooist out there, his japanese is outstanding and his bio mechanical is world class too.

Chestpiece in the middle is awesome.

I always felt that my first boss colin deserved some special recognition but i could never work out how to say it, not being so hot with words, then i was reading Stoney Knows How and got to one of the many lyle tuttle mentions and i thought thats the way to go. i got my first apprenticship in shrewsbury, Englandshire. it didn't last very long, six weeks but in that time i did a few tattoos (!) and got some basic pointers concerning drawing flash. i got the sack because of a stituation with my girlfriend who i had introduced to colin and his wife, then we split up and he decided he liked my girlfriend more than me and i got sacked. still he promised to help me if i still wanted and that i could hire a chair in the shops downtime to do tattoos if i wanted so inevitably did. i remember doing a Gypsy girl head that came out real sweet. its on a lad called andy who is still around. when i say sweet i mean for someone learning. anyway when i had finished my sort of boss said he was in a rush and hurried me out of the studio telling me to collect my machines the next day, which i did. I don't know what stupid thing i did to those machines on the eighth of a mile walk home but they would never produce a tattoo again. still in the end it was good because i bought a pair of A.Ciferri machines and never looked back.

I remember me and another lad that was working in his shop getting all exited about the full size blue and pink colour Sailor Jerry flash books when they first come out and how happy we were that we had the blue copy and colin turned round and laughed in a derisive way and said 'I dont even like Sailor Jerrys stuff' and i was like......wow.....like jerry made his own inks, needles, designed his own flash, painted his own flash and truly pushed the format.....this dude must be really unique to make such a bold statement, like....he must be someone really really cool just waiting to be discovered, then he'd really show people what could be done.

my next boss who taught me so so much and was and is a legend in the area he tattooed told me how hard it was for colin to get into tattooing. my old boss Winston Gomez told me that colin would hang out at all the conventions buying drinks for all the tattooers and telling them how amazing they were but how one would give him an apprenticeship. in the end he paid someone several thousand pounds for a weeks tuition and opened a studio well away from his home town, so you have to admire that kind of perserverence. i often wonder if thats why he has taught around fiteen or twenty people to tattoo in the last six years or so, as a way of sticking his fingers up at all those old boys that wouldn't take him under their wing.

even now he's still thinking about me. i spoke to him just the other week when he told me that his new partners in some shropshire convention thing are opening a shop round the corner from mine, after another partner in the same convention was closed down for tattooing a minor, so that was nice of him to let me know that id have some new friends to talk to. pure gold. thanks best mate. anyway, check his work. one day i hope i can put in a line a cleanly as him, honestly, but his whip shading is amazing. according to doc web in his book thats how the old boys recognised each other work and judged their skill, on the shading. dont know if that true. anyway, amazing guy

Cheyenne Sawyer from Atlas tattoo in Portland Oregon.

Not only is he one of the most unique human beings I have ever been friends and co workers with, he has the ability to make ANY idea look amazing. big or small.

The man taught me how to be a real "professional" and I was his boss, lol!

Cheyenne Sawyer :: Atlas Tattoo :: Portland, Oregon

He and Gilsdorf are some of the best and most inspiring tattooers working right now.

I really like his stuff. I had someone comment to me that some of it looked a little outdated...I can kinda see what they meant. He still does very very nice work.

Lots of folks tattoo in a 'dated' style. Paul's doesn't look that way to me. I mostly really like his stuff, the one knock I have is his finger waves. It really looks like he 'phones it in' on the water. Otherwise, I like his stuff a lot.

Lots of folks tattoo in a 'dated' style. Paul's doesn't look that way to me. I mostly really like his stuff, the one knock I have is his finger waves. It really looks like he 'phones it in' on the water. Otherwise, I like his stuff a lot.

He is only about three hours away from me. I need to go visit him and see what he is up to these days.

thats because this forum leans heavy on traditional.

I don't mean this forum I realize that, I mean in the industry in general. Seems like every time I drop his name to other artists I get confused faces lol. Obviously his location probably has a lot to do with it but his work should be more internationally known imo.

I don't mean this forum I realize that, I mean in the industry in general. Seems like every time I drop his name to other artists I get confused faces lol. Obviously his location probably has a lot to do with it but his work should be more internationally known imo.

really? all the respected artists i talk to over here in cali and surrounding areas know who he is.

- - - Updated - - -

and i see youre from the bay area like me lol.

really? all the respected artists i talk to over here in cali and surrounding areas know who he is.

- - - Updated - - -

and i see youre from the bay area like me lol.

You are probably way more plugged into the scene than me bro. Thats good to hear, I was getting discouraged when other enthusiasts weren't familiar with his work.