Need help refining a design

Hello all!

I'm not the best at designing, but I have a rough design I've done in paint and I could really use some help smoothing it out. I'm okay with slight alterations as long as it doesn't lose any of its symbolism.

Here's the deal. I live in the bible belt so it's super Christian here. A few months ago, I finally had the strength to come out as an atheist to some of my family and close friends (7 total so far). The reactions were mixed. I've lost 2 friends so far. So I wanted to make a symbol that showed the positive side of my beliefs and the beauty of a finite life.

The symbol as a whole is a broken infinity symbolizing the importance of the life we have now (if you actually connected the 2 parts, you would see the ∞). Each half is a lowercase g which takes the power out of capital g God. The swirl symbolizes the wind which is invisible but able to be studied and proven by science meaning even the invisible is not exempt from science and proof.

1411hs5.jpg

Edit: I'm also open to suggestions on placement. I want to put it a place that ages well, so I'm thinking of right ankle, inner wrist, breast bone, or the back of my neck at the hairline, but I will consider other places.

Hello!

Congrats for making the decission of coming out as an atheist!

I find your symbol and its meaning so strong and beautiful, nice idea, I loved it!

Anyway, for the desing just go to a tattoo artist and ask him/her to draw it smoothed and perfect! He/she will know how to do this better than anybody!

Anyway, for fun, I tried to do it, but I really think you should go and ask it to a tattoo artist

bb7867b23c9bab8f000b490737375917o.jpg

Good luck!

@Naiemh

Awww. Thank you! It really means a lot to me. And I have been looking for an artist near me that can do it. It's actually gonna be my first tattoo! I actually had enough saved up to get the one I talked about in my introduction post a few months back, but my ex got my savings (and the house, the furniture, one of my sand boas, and my dignity). He (who left me for a 21 year old) found out I'm an atheist and has been texting saying he's praying for me and I've gotten over a dozen religious booklets from him XD

@marley mission

Agreed. I want it as smooth as butter. And I envy that you are in an area where you have no clue about having to come out as an atheist or agnostic. I'm not really open, but I wanted those close to me to know. I went running errands the other day and I had to hear people talk a lot about Christian stuff to me at my Chiropractor, Walmart, and pharmacy and I had one woman bugging me for a good bit about needing to go to church while I was at the vet! Believe it or not, people are less likely to get really nasty to homosexuals than atheists here (I caught less crap when I came out as bi several years ago!). I live in the middle of nowhere and am a quarter mile from my nearest neighbor and there are 2 churches within 5 miles of me and I was getting religious people knocking on my door regularly before I put up a sign. I have a friend who is a non-practicing Catholic that gets badgered by friends and family to go to church. Another friend of mine is a closet wiccan and her family is pressuring her constantly to add bible text into her upcoming wedding vows (even though she repeatedly said her and her fiancé aren't religious) because without god involved, the marriage won't be blessed and will fail.

@Graeme

Lol! You're a hoot. Actually, I'm not an anti-theist. I don't want to fight against religion as I believe it is important to a lot of people. As long as it's doesn't influence schools/government, isn't used as an excuse for bigotry, or isn't shoved down my throat like reverse bulimia, I'm cool with it. I believe in the beauty and importance of a finite life and want to express that in a way that is positive and religiously neutral. Honestly, nothing would make me happier than if my symbol became popular with others like me because it doesn't insult any one religion and it doesn't completely leave out anyone that speaks a language where Atheist doesn't start with an A.

Wow, I can't believe you can hold this situation...

RUN from this city, hahaha

I'm sure you will have a lot of problems with people staring and calling you shit after doing your tattoo, as a lot of Christian people are against tattooing your body.

That's what makes me angry the most; even when you respect them, a lot of them won't respect you.

Run, seriously. Run.

@Naiemh

I know, but I stay because I have family here. It's where I was born and raised. Also, I'm broke ;)

I've gotten the speech before about keeping my body a temple as well as a speech about saving myself for marriage and the crap I caught when I didn't (I was 23!). People don't seem to catch too much guff about tattoos like they use to (especially with their popularity), but I really don't care either way. I like good ink and I want good ink and if I'm gonna pay for it, I'm gonna show off good ink. ;)

@Devious6

Thank you! I only wish I was a better artist. I deleted one half, blew up the image, edited pixel by pixel, copied it, rotated the copy 180 degrees, and lined them up. It was tedious work and it still could use some tweaks, but I like it. :)

@Naiemh

Daw. Don't make me blush now! And thank you. ^_^

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with just straight black although I'm still debating myself on rather it would look good in color or not. Also I'm not completely sure if I should stay simple and flat like the image I created or ask the artist to make it three dimensional. Thoughts?

I actually talked to a shop today on their Facebook page. They had some really nice pieces, so I sent out a PM to them and 2 other really nice shops who also had good ratings with a few questions. One shop was kinda rude, one shop was nice but not much for answering my questions, and the third was sublime! They were able to answer right away that their shop was 100% latex free and their ink brand (fusion and eternal straight from manufacturer), were totally cool with working on an atheist piece as the owner is pagan and understands being non-Christian in the bible belt, was nonjudgmental about my OCD as one of their artists has it too, offered to send me pics of healed pieces, and was just generally nice. I almost wish I had the money to do my calf piece I've been planning on for years right now they impressed me so much. I literally cried to find someone near me who was so cool with me 5 minutes after we talked.

I'm off to read up on tattoo before and after care! I wish the thread for it was less conflicting o_O

You might want to decide placement based on how easy it is to cover it. Wrist and neck tattoos are hard not to have people notice. I know plenty of people who have to work with bandaids or bracelets on. Go neck and wrist after everything else is covered. If I go to a job interview I can wear a long sleeve shirt and you would never know I have ink in my skin.

As for the design I'd make the space between the gs long legs even and the loops line up.

Good luck with your beliefs, I'm Norse Heathen so I hear ya. But where I live is much more tolerant so I'm lucky there, never thought of persecution based on religion being a thing anymore. I wish you strength and happiness along your journey.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Woot! Got my ink today! Could you guys help me figure out how to choose the style and such for upload on here? Also, I don't remember the artist's name, just his business.

Woooow I want to see it!!!

Don't worry about the features, pick whatever and let us see it! Hahaha

(Maybe symbol or religious tattoos, I don't know so much about categories in gallery)

Enviado desde mi JY-G4 mediante Tapatalk

Wth!?! I tried to upload images but my galaxy says no images!

Edit: It's up. It's up! Here's my freshly inked pretty. If the link doesn't work, just go in my gallery ;)

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/gallery/member/19447-broken-infinity.html&imageuser=56235

Edited by JBluewind
Picture came up under different tag

Thank you! I really love how it turned out. It's getting a hair itchy now, but not bad. I really expected to be sore, but I haven't been. It had a little warmth the first 24 hours, but that's it. Considering I've hit my tattoo several times over the last few days (because I'm a klutz, a little nearsighted and have dogs), I'm glad I had the film over it to protect it. I'll post another pic after I take the tegaderm off on Monday and another once it's fully healed.

By the way, my artist used a liner for the whole thing and fresh disposable needles. I think the ink was Fusion if memory serves. It took about 90 minutes of pure tattoo time. He put a little A + D on it afterward, wiped it clean, did a tight witch hazel wrap for 10 to 15 minutes (he put something like a paper towel over my ink, soaked to towel in witch hazel, and wrapped it tightly with a self adherent wrap) to pull out some of the plasma, dried it well, then put on a Tegaderm film (leaving over an inch between the edge of my tattoo and the edge of the film to leave space for plasma buildup) with instructions to leave it on for 5 days, use an ice pack as needed, keep it out of the sunlight, and use tattoo safe lotion and gentle soap once I take it off. His shop was nice, clean, kid friendly, welcome to all religions (from Christians to Pagans to Atheists), LGBTQ+ friendly, and full of jewelry made of natural materials. The piercer was a fierce looking woman with various piercings and tattoos (including her scalp which was shaved) but a total sweetheart (she actually took a minute to tell me about what she does and checked out my ink when he was finished).

90 minutes?

Yes. That's about how long I sat for it give it take 10 minutes. He used a liner (one with 14 needles and one with just a few) on the entire thing rather than using a shader. He does that on pure black because he said using a shader will give you a viable outline later on down the road because the center will be lighter than the outline. So it was and hour and a half of pure tattoo time even though it looks like it should take far less. The price was more than I expected to pay (it was $150, but he agreed to $125), but he was constantly packing ink during my time there, had great aftercare, and will touch up after it heals at no cost.

Yes. That's about how long I sat for it give it take 10 minutes. He used a liner (one with 14 needles and one with just a few) on the entire thing rather than using a shader. He does that on pure black because he said using a shader will give you a viable outline later on down the road because the center will be lighter than the outline. So it was and hour and a half of pure tattoo time even though it looks like it should take far less. The price was more than I expected to pay (it was $150, but he agreed to $125), but he was constantly packing ink during my time there, had great aftercare, and will touch up after it heals at no cost.

agreed to 125? were you haggling? lets hope not

90 minutes - well everyone has their own pace i suppose

that seems towards the slower end of slow for this piece

btw - it looks like the tattooer hit the mark for what you wanted

good luck with the heal

enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

agreed to 125? were you haggling? lets hope not

90 minutes - well everyone has their own pace i suppose

that seems towards the slower end of slow for this piece

Agree with that, try to not haggle again and go for tattoos just when you have plenty of money and you won't care about paying 50 more dollars or 50 less :/

Two days ago I had my cats tattoo touch up and I the artist told me it was 150 euros, but then after finishing it he told me that it was so much because it wasn't so much time doing it (it just took 1 hour and a half, as yours) and he just charged me 110 euros! (anyway, here in spain things are a little bit less expensive), and it was SO CHEAP I felt SUPER BAD and I told him that it was okay for me to pay 150 euros, but he insisted.

So, my advice for you is finding a nice and righteous shop where you will pay for what it really costs, so you won't need to haggle! :/ Tattoos are expensive, and I think 150 dollars is a nice price for what he did!

Also, this kind of tattoos need a lot of precission so the outlines can be perfect, every single mistake will be SUPER NOTICEABLE, so I think 90 minutes is not beign slow, I'm sure he/she tried so hard to make it perfect that he/she just took its time, hahaha