speed doesnt have to be an issue mind you

i have been to tattooers that have speeds across the spectrum

all great experiences

i will say though too slow - for me - is a bit of a drag

also i think the best approach on dealing with fees

is to say up front your ballpark budget

the high end of which should be what you are able to pay

i would say plus tip but i know thats a whole other thread worth of contro

My tattoo guy gives me an estimate and always ends up charging me less. So he gets a bigger tip. :-) I just can't imagine trying to haggle him down.

My philosophy: If you can't afford to pay what he quotes, then you shouldn't be getting a tattoo. This is what they do for a living. I can't imagine someone trying to haggle down my price for my proofreading services.

not to pick on the OP. - take it as constructive...feedback

just one. mans opinion you see

but the amount of tattooing process info you. write about

leads. me to believe. you were asking alot of 'tattooer' questions

i see that as. a bit off-putting

but. maybe thats. just me

100 hours of. getting tattooed

i never have asked. about ink. or needles. or machine type

i just like to get tattooed

maybe. a little bullshit. about. life,, the weather, relevant things

anyway - some food for thought man

agreed to 125? were you haggling? lets hope not

90 minutes - well everyone has their own pace i suppose

that seems towards the slower end of slow for this piece

btw - it looks like the tattooer hit the mark for what you wanted

good luck with the heal

enjoy

It wasn't that I haggle with him. I know better than to haggle with an artist. He quoted me $150, I was a little taken aback as friends said it would be $50 or so (they flipped over the price and thought he was overcharging me) and I had budgeted $100 with a $25 tip, I told him I was willing to pay but my friends were bugging me (they really were because they said it was a simple 30 minute tattoo that wasn't complicated and 1 color) to find out the reason for the price, he told me (quality tattoo, $50 ever 30 minutes, aftercare included in price, and free touch up at 3 months), and then (without me asking) he said he could come down to $125 which made me ecstatic because that meant I didn't have to wait to save up the extra $25 and could get it done before I had heavy work in the garden (it will be covered). I plan on giving him a tip when I go back in for my touch up.

He never let up on it and packed a lot of ink in the little space. It definitely sounds slow, but he looked to be working fast judging by his movements and he was constantly dipping in the ink (he used a full cup to the very bottom). I think the speed had more to do with the fact it was straight liner and he used 14 needles or less.

I asked what kind of ink and such because I have several really bad allergies to certain things and wanted to be sure his ink didn't have that stuff in it. I also told him I had OCD (his wife does too). Without me saying a word about it, he actually showed me everything, explained how it all worked, showed me the needles and ink, what the witch hazel did, his training, aftercare, everything to expect with healing,... everything! I was entranced and sincerely fascinated. It really helped me to relax more. He said he knew how someone like me thought and was completely cool with it. I'm really glad I found him.

As far as price, like I said I didn't haggle. I made it clear that I was willing to pay the amount, but would have to wait a bit. He's really a nice guy, explained the reason behind the price, and then lowered it. I fully intend to give him $30 when I see him again because he earned it.

In the meantime, I've been telling inked people and interested plain skins alike about his shop all over town. I know I've sent him at least one customer who is getting her first tattoo.

Edit

planning for. a touch. up?

you havent even seen the tattoo yet

He's a perfectionist and likes to inspect his work after it heals and fix every minor thing like a little spot without ink.

@JBluewind

hey it sounds like the whole thing worked out for you then

post some pics when. you heal. up

also. good for you not getting worked. up on some. of my feedback

wasnt trying to be harsh with ya

just feedback

- - - Updated - - -

@JBluewind

hey it sounds like the whole thing worked out for you then

post some pics when. you heal. up

also. good for you not getting worked. up on some. of my feedback

wasnt trying to be harsh with ya

just feedback

@oboogie

I don't at all. I'm 30. This tattoo was part because I came out as an atheist and wanted to celebrate that, part because I felt ugly and old after my ex left me for a 21 year old right before my birthday and I wanted something beautiful, part because I finally realized that a switch didn't flip when I turned 30 that changed who I was or how my body worked, and part because I've wanted a tattoo since I was 13 and finally felt confident enough to to do it.

He's the owner of the shop and the only tattoo artist there. He also has a piercer who works there who's super nice. They are currently out at the Ink Masters expo (he has a purple beard) having fun and staying busy, but he still took the time to check up on me and answer a question I had.

@marley mission

No problem. I totally get where everyone was coming from and know it was just a simple misunderstanding caused by me not providing enough information. I can't wait to share pics of it once it heals!

I waited another 30 years to get my first, almost 31 since I turn 61 next Saturday. Over those years I learned time and again not to let others determine how I feel about myself. Enjoy that tattoo, enjoy life, love yourself for who you are..not what someone else thinks you should be.

And post pics after that patch comes off! I'll be in the chair Tuesday afternoon getting some shading done so I will post pics too.

@oboogie

I don't at all. I'm 30. This tattoo was part because I came out as an atheist and wanted to celebrate that, part because I felt ugly and old after my ex left me for a 21 year old right before my birthday and I wanted something beautiful, part because I finally realized that a switch didn't flip when I turned 30 that changed who I was or how my body worked, and part because I've wanted a tattoo since I was 13 and finally felt confident enough to to do it.

He's the owner of the shop and the only tattoo artist there. He also has a piercer who works there who's super nice. They are currently out at the Ink Masters expo (he has a purple beard) having fun and staying busy, but he still took the time to check up on me and answer a question I had.

@marley mission

No problem. I totally get where everyone was coming from and know it was just a simple misunderstanding caused by me not providing enough information. I can't wait to share pics of it once it heals!

Good for you for doing something for yourself. I'm sorry you've had a difficult time recently. I look forward to seeing the tattoo when you take your bandage off.

I got my first tattoo when I was 25 or 26 after giving it zero thought. I covered it with something I did want just before I turned 40, and I haven't stopped getting tattoos since! :-)

@Devious6

I'll try my best. My dad cussed me out several times over getting it (bad idea, waste of money, ugly on a women especially at this size, tacky, and so on) even though I told him before and I'm an adult, so there was a moment I looked at it and wondered if he was right and I had went to big, but it didn't last long. I feel more like myself than I have in a long time. It's so freeing to stop pretending to be someone I'm not. :)

I'm thinking of fudging the time a little. He said to take the film off Monday, but midnight is still Monday right? ;)

I look forward to see your awesome piece as well!

I actually started a tattoo thread in the atheist I frequent. It's been pretty fun to talk with them and even see a few awesome pictures. One of the members said he is going to get 666 tattooed on his butt as protection against Christian rapists. I know. It's terrible and in bad taste, but it was hard not to laugh at the time XD

@oboogie

Looks like you have quite the collection going. When did you get the Prince one?

My entire life is one long running bad luck streak. The awesome days are when something isn't going wrong XD

Crib notes version: Abusive mother who starved me for years and tried to kill me a couple times, watched my papaw slowly die in front of me over months as I cared for him when I was 13, verbally abusive father, polyp on my thyroid caused me to have to have radioactive iodine treatment, severe form of a rare type of migraine (Hemiplegic Migraines) which forced me to drop out of college and go on disability, major depression, OCD, asthma, a laundry list of smaller problems, and several severe allergies that (depending on which one) can trigger a migraine attack, cause hives and/or anaphylaxis, or cause intestinal bleeding.

So, yeah. I'm a bad luck magnet XD

@JBluewind hey you've entered the world of tattoos so I'd say your luck has changed - at least a little - watch some of the interviews on here - you'll be entertained and educated - maybe we can get you to entertain some traditional style tattooing for your next go

- - - Updated - - -

@JBluewind hey you've entered the world of tattoos so I'd say your luck has changed - at least a little - watch some of the interviews on here - you'll be entertained and educated - maybe we can get you to entertain some traditional style tattooing for your next go

@marley mission

I have a pretty solid plan for my left calf. I want a fairy standing by a lake in the woods by moonlight. Her body will be in profile on my outside calf in a black silhouette with black pixie cut hair with her arms at her side and elbows at a 90 degree angle (gray lines to show the separation between her arms and body) with palms upturned. An orb with the symbol for hope on/in it will float over her palms. Her wings will be realistic (female Diana Fritillary Butterfly) and wrap around the back of my calf. The background will be the moon, a river or lake, and trees. If I only ever get the fairy done, I'll be happy (although I would at least like the moon too). The fairy was originally going to be all realistic with aqua blue hair, but I realized I could never save up enough for that so I gave up on it. I still might give her aqua blue hair though.

I'm not 100% on what I want to do for my right calf. The only thing I know for certain is that I want it to be black or black and gray to contrast my left. I'm not sure if I'll ever ink any other part of me. I know I won't do thighs/upper arms (because weight fluctuation), high friction spots (pits, elbows, knees), stomach (female), breast, or face. I might eventually be open to doing the top of my feet, the back of my neck, my wrists, somewhere on the rib area, or something dainty like somewhere on my ear.

I sometimes toy with the thought of getting a piercing as well, but I always decide against it. I have never been able to keep one. It took 3 different tries and several months to get a simple earlobe piercing to stick because my body would reject even stainless steal (also, I had no idea at the time how bad guns were). Even now over a decade later, I can put in white gold/surgical steal sterilized earnings and my earlobes will get sore and red after a while. Doing another ear hole or a nostril is just asking for trouble.

@oboogie

I wasn't that much of a fan of his music (he was big when I was too young and wasn't really my style when I got older save a couple I liked), but from what I seen of him he seemed to be genuine and a good person who tried to help out his community without asking for anything for doing it (including the publicity). I really hate the fact that there are so many people out there that are insulting him right now and even jumped all over one woman who said he wasn't a real Christian (he was, but why does that matter?), that his life didn't matter because he didn't accept Jesus (um...), and he was a drug head who died of an OD (which she said like a couple hours afterward). At first I thought she was just a troll, but then after a while I realized she was a real person who truly believed all the mental diarrhea she was spewing everywhere. So I replied with a detailed post saying in the nicest way I could about how her logic was flawed with a list and the information to back me up and then asked her to do the Christian thing and be a good person. I might not have been a big fan, but there's no excuse to insult a dead man.

Just took off my Tegaderm yall! I did it in the shower with warm water and soap. It was easier than taking off a bandaid. My skin sucked up all the plasma yesterday, so all that was really left was a little ink. I also had a slight itch since yesterday. Once I rinsed off the excess ink using basis soap, warm water, and my hand (gentle circular wiping), I applied a little tattoo Goo salve (VERY SOOTHING!) and took a pic. The pic is now in my gallery. There is only a couple of tiny spots along the edge that my artist will have to touch so he won't have much to do come time for the touch up :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2016 at 11:52 PM, marley mission said:

Ya your points are quite right i find the relevant information here http://www.agelessarttattoos.com/tattoo-prices/

Edited by Andrew-13
forgot to put the source

On 4/25/2016 at 2:10 AM, JBluewind said:

I sometimes toy with the thought of getting a piercing as well, but I always decide against it. I have never been able to keep one. It took 3 different tries and several months to get a simple earlobe piercing to stick because my body would reject even stainless steal (also, I had no idea at the time how bad guns were). Even now over a decade later, I can put in white gold/surgical steal sterilized earnings and my earlobes will get sore and red after a while. Doing another ear hole or a nostril is just asking for trouble.

Piercings have come a long way in recent years. Nowadays with proper jewelry and technique, there's no one who "can't" heal piercings. Sounds like your piercings didn't reject exactly, you just have a steel allergy, which is somewhat common. You might want to look into getting titanium, glass, or silver/gold (not silver/gold plated steel which can flake and expose your piercing to the steel underneath) jewelry for any future piercings. The title "surgical steel" or "stainless steel" doesn't have anything to do with its sanitation levels, it just means it's safe to use in your body. If you're allergic to steel, you'll be allergic to all kinds, but will have more severe reactions to cheap steel. Anatometal, Industrial Strength, and Neometal are good options for metallic jewelry, and Gorilla Glass makes great quality glass plugs, nose bones, nostril screws, etc. You can even have your jewelry custom made by the company if you place an order through a shop or certain websites, to make sure you get exactly what you need. See if there's any APP members near you, they generally are of a higher caliber than your average piercer: http://www.safepiercing.org/get-involved/locate-a-member/searchable-member-database/ If not, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no good piercers around you. Go into local shops and see if they have a piercing portfolio, look up shops on Facebook, research what makes a piercing good or bad, etc.

(Sorry to go on a non-tattoo tirade!)

On 6/1/2016 at 1:32 AM, Andrew-13 said:

Great design man, Really excited to see the final image after its done

Thanks! It really healed great. My artist still wants to touch up at 3 months to have it perfect (just how he is), so I'm debating on rather I should upload a pic now or wait until the touch up heals.

I'm female and I got to admit that it is making me rock my capri pants a lot. I'm protecting with sunscreen, but it feels too good having it out in the open to hide it under pants. I even bought a dress! Mind you I owned exactly 0 dresses (because I've always been a tomboy and I also have massive hooters that dresses tend to show off and get me unwanted attention), but I found a simple purple cotton dress on clearance (that I stumbled upon while grabbing new pjs on sale) that rocks with my ink.

On 6/1/2016 at 3:50 PM, Synesthesia said:

Piercings have come a long way in recent years. Nowadays with proper jewelry and technique, there's no one who "can't" heal piercings. Sounds like your piercings didn't reject exactly, you just have a steel allergy, which is somewhat common. You might want to look into getting titanium, glass, or silver/gold (not silver/gold plated steel which can flake and expose your piercing to the steel underneath) jewelry for any future piercings. The title "surgical steel" or "stainless steel" doesn't have anything to do with its sanitation levels, it just means it's safe to use in your body. If you're allergic to steel, you'll be allergic to all kinds, but will have more severe reactions to cheap steel. Anatometal, Industrial Strength, and Neometal are good options for metallic jewelry, and Gorilla Glass makes great quality glass plugs, nose bones, nostril screws, etc. You can even have your jewelry custom made by the company if you place an order through a shop or certain websites, to make sure you get exactly what you need. See if there's any APP members near you, they generally are of a higher caliber than your average piercer: http://www.safepiercing.org/get-involved/locate-a-member/searchable-member-database/ If not, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no good piercers around you. Go into local shops and see if they have a piercing portfolio, look up shops on Facebook, research what makes a piercing good or bad, etc.

(Sorry to go on a non-tattoo tirade!)

I'm glad you did! This info is awesome. I was looking at surgical steal because I figured it would be less likely to reject since it's literally used in surgery. It's nice to know there are options out there for me :)