Seran Wrap after a new tattoo

ThatKidChris

So I've recently came across this article (http://tattoo.about.com/od/tattoosafety/a/plasticwrap.htm) that shed some light on the practice of the artist using seran wrap right after a tattoo session. I really never gave it much though but this article poses some very interesting points and really has be thinking about it.

I have maybe about 9 rather large tattoos and from what I can remember only one artist did not wrap it in seran wrap he instead used something else. Now I've always listened to the advise of my artists concerning aftercare (as well all should) but just think of this seran wrap stuff what do you all think? Is it something that should be stopped in terms of aftercare practices?

I got a chest piece last night and they covered with something called tattooderm. It's like a thin clear wrap that stays on the tattoo for 4-5 days. It supposedly keeps the color trapped in. Stays on in the shower and everything if you're careful with it. My last two tattoos that were done in other shops, they taped on wound dressing and told me to keep it on for an hour then put tattoo salve on it.

we have been using saran wrap for a long time,seems IMO to work just fine for the first 24 to 36 hours or so.

a little common sense,goes a long way,and I might add that in 29 years of being tattooed and using saran,I have never had an infection.

Saran wrap has greatly improved the quality of how well my tattoos heal! We have talked about this a lot in a few other threads, but anything that keeps your fresh tattoo clean and friction free is of great benefit. If you leave it wrapped up for days on end without washing it you're in for a world of hurt. If you are clever and wash your fresh tattoo every 6-8 hours while changing the wrap your tattoo will heal scab free and bright.

When I first started getting tattoos, 1992, the artist put a&d on...heck I don't even remember what it was, those gauze bandage things. The kind that are smooth.nthen he put it on the tattoo and used masking tape to tape it down. Kept on overnight and cleaned the next day, continuing with the a&d. My first five tattoos were like that then I had lonnstretch where I didn't get any. 2013 when I started back up again it was Saran Wrap, unwrap when I get home, wash it off with warm water and a free liquid soap like ivory. Air dry and rewrap for three nights. Now I pretty much just wrap that first night and am good to go.

My advice for my shoulder tattoo was to keep the clingfilm (seran wrap to you americans!) on overnight and then shower and not to reapply it. Then I kept clothes of it for the weekend and slept on my front. Might have been different if I had had to go to work straight after and put clothes on it for the whole day.