Love my first tattoo...wondering if my bra strap will ruin it!

mmmsarah

Hi tattoo lovers.

I got my first tattoo over a month ago. It's healed up fine and I love it to bits.

My only concern is that it's on my shoulder blade and my bra strap sits right on top. I'm wondering if there's any girls out there who have had a shoulder tattoo for a good few years. Does your bra strap slowly degrade it? My tattoo is a bird and the strap is right on his head, really want to keep the detail as good as possible for as long as possible!

Wow, nice question. I had started my "full" back tattoo (Haku Japanese Dragon Back Piece Tattoo Picture | Last Sparrow Tattoo) a month ago (it's one session left next week, the last one) and I didn't wear a bra during this whole month (and still not wearing it). It is a nightmare, and I guess you understand me since maybe you didn't wear it neither for a few weeks after your session.

So I'm so sorry I can't answer this question, but I'm also so interested on this since I want my tattoo to be in perfect conditions forever!

So I hope someone on here can answer this!

hey no bra here

but i dont think you should worry about it

10 years...shit alot could happen in 10 years

its a tattoo - in 10 years it'll look different no matter what you do

i'll bet you'll still dig it

so bra - no bra

go get some more tatts and enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

I want my tattoo to be in perfect conditions forever!

this - to me - is problematic thinking - no offense @Naiemh - I know we discussed this in another thread but to me I see so many threads lately with people obsessing about their 'imperfect' tattoos asking what to do about it - getting tattooed can be risky in a way - because you are giving someone else control of altering your appearance - thats why doing your research is important - in the age of Instagram - i'm not sure i see the excuse for failing to do this - not saying you cant just walk into a shop and getting tattooed by johnny random - you can - just factor this into your expectations and ultimately your perspective on said tattoo - anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

I want my tattoo to be in perfect conditions forever!

this - to me - is problematic thinking - no offense @Naiemh - I know we discussed this in another thread but to me I see so many threads lately with people obsessing about their 'imperfect' tattoos asking what to do about it - getting tattooed can be risky in a way - because you are giving someone else control of altering your appearance - thats why doing your research is important - in the age of Instagram - i'm not sure i see the excuse for failing to do this - not saying you cant just walk into a shop and getting tattooed by johnny random - you can - just factor this into your expectations and ultimately your perspective on said tattoo - anyway...

hey no bra here

but i dont think you should worry about it

10 years...shit alot could happen in 10 years

its a tattoo - in 10 years it'll look different no matter what you do

i'll bet you'll still dig it

so bra - no bra

go get some more tatts and enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I totally understand your point. I know it won't be a perfect tattoo forever, but I want to try to mantain it as much as I can so I can enjoy its perfection as long as I can :)

I know any tattoo isn't 100% perfect, but at least the most important is that I find mine perfect, even when they are not!

So, if I want the colours to not be never patchy, I will do my best so this doesn't happen!

Also, for me, my tattoos are not like 'hey look, I'm tattooed gal and I'm so cool for having a lot of tattoos'

I want them to be just beautiful so they can complement my appearance! As I like beautiful things, I want beautiful things to be drawn on me :)

It may sound snooty, but I just wanted to explain why I want so hard to avoid colours fading, as my tattoos would be 'less beautiful'. It's, again, the perception we have about tattoos!

But you're right, my tattoos won't be beautiful forever, and I will accept them the way they turn, but I want to do the best I can to slow the fading process ^^

As people in museums take a lot of care and manteinance of super valuable and old pictures, I want to be like them as I think my tattoos are super valuable for me!

Enviado desde mi JY-G4 mediante Tapatalk

@Naiemh - totally respect that

btw - if you dont follow on the IG you should check it out

http://instagram.com/livedintattoos

it might change your perspective a bit of beautiful tattoos

sunday they do 'takeovers' which typically feature some awesome 'lived in' tattoos

- - - Updated - - -

@Naiemh - totally respect that

btw - if you dont follow on the IG you should check it out

http://instagram.com/livedintattoos

it might change your perspective a bit of beautiful tattoos

sunday they do 'takeovers' which typically feature some awesome 'lived in' tattoos

Thanks Wildcat, I was hoping to hear from someone who had lived with their tattoos a while. Good to know I'm just being paranoid! The tiger tat in your pic is ace btw!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, I know that tattoos don't rub off. :p I just thought something tight like a bra strap that you wear every single day might make it age slightly quicker than normal. But looks like I'm stressing about nothing

I am guessing that she's thinking about what happens when you wear socks over an ankle tattoo over the years. It kind of fades/looks sort of blown out? Know what I mean?

That said, as @wildcat said above (and I'm glad I'm not the only one here who can't go without a bra!), it should be fine after it is healed.

Thanks for your response. I know tattoos age with time. I just had this image of a slightly more faded stripe down the middle where the strap sits. Good to know I am worrying about nothing!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Naiemh your tattoo looks incredible. Looks like it will be amazing when finished!

I am guessing that she's thinking about what happens when you wear socks over an ankle tattoo over the years. It kind of fades/looks sort of blown out? Know what I mean?

That said, as @wildcat said above (and I'm glad I'm not the only one here who can't go without a bra!), it should be fine after it is healed.

IMO that's not gonna happen,if anything being kept out of the sun a tattoo will remain brighter and better looking.

I have both ankles tattooed and wear socks for work and they still look great,I think the sun will do more damage to tattoos than any piece of clothing,and like was said,a tattoo can't be rubbed off,or damaged, or degraded by straps or clothing.

Well, I'm just going on a couple of people I know who have to wear grown-up clothes (and dress socks) to work every day, and the tattoos on their ankles look like ass now. It may be more to do with them being shit tattoos, though. :-)

LOL that's not me ! !!! LOL I don't even own a dress shirt or tie or slacks ! my version of getting dressed up is a button up shirt and long pants ! LOL

I wear shorts and tees about 11 months a year ! even for work,I must have been a UPS driver in a past life.

too bad I have to wear shoes for work though :(

no shoes allowed any other time ! sandals only ! I think I am permanently lost in island time.

ya,I use a lot of sun block

I work in advertising, and no one cares what I wear. I show my tattoos a lot during the summer just because it is HOT where I live. I am really glad I don't have to wear grown-up clothes, too! Today's ensemble: Grateful Dead T-shirt, harem pants, gladiator sandals. I'm all about comfort!

me too,it's all about comfort,I live in a place that's hot in the summer too,Sacramento Ca,

where do you live ?

and right on to the dead shirt,back in the 70's & 80's I did about 75 dead shows. LOL I think anyway ! LOL

I'm with the rest of the crew...your bra isn't going to damage the tattoo but I'll say that make sure you're wearing a properly fitted bra. I wear super soft sided bra's since any bra goes directly over/on my tattoo's. More for aesthetics, comfort and I get contact dermatitis when it's hot.

• 4 months later...

Stumbled on this thread. Since I'm a male, I can't add anything directly to the specific question. But I've read the responses which generally agree that a bra strap will not damage your tattoo. However, I've seen elbow tattoos that look very worn. Why would a tattoo on an elbow wear from constant contact, while a shoulder tattoo under a bra strap won't?  Just curious. Maybe the skin on elbows is somehow "different?"

I have a 3-week old upper back/shoulder blade tattoo also and I think you've managed the worst of it by getting through the healing process without having the bra strap interfering.  My new tattoo covers up a small 20-year old dove tattoo that was directly under my bra strap.  I had no problems with "wear" from the bra strap on that tattoo (my problem was not taking proper precautions in the sun, the fact that the tattoo didn't have proper black outlining, and that it was too small, so it eventually blurred out).  I don't think you need to worry about your bra strap.  Congrats on the new tattoo :).