Love my first tattoo...wondering if my bra strap will ruin it!

mmmsarah

On 09/09/2016 at 0:50 PM, Intomyskin said:

Why would a tattoo on an elbow wear from constant contact, while a shoulder tattoo under a bra strap won't?

I think the skin on your elbow tends to be much dryer and coarser, maybe that's why those tattoos age more. I had heard of ankle tattoos being effected by constant rubbing from socks, that's why I was worried initially. 

On 09/09/2016 at 4:19 PM, Kate1939 said:

I had no problems with "wear" from the bra strap on that tattoo

Kate, thanks for your input. It's good to hear from someone who has lived with their tattoo a while. Hope you love your new tattoo!

On September 9, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Intomyskin said:

Maybe the skin on elbows is somehow "different?"

2 hours ago, mmmsarah said:

I think the skin on your elbow tends to be much dryer and coarser, maybe that's why those tattoos age more. I had heard of ankle tattoos being effected by constant rubbing from socks, that's why I was worried initially. 

I don't have an elbow tattoo, so I may be the last person who should be answering this, but I agree with Sarah that the skin seems very different on the elbow.  I know that the skin on my elbow can be dry and scaly almost like an elephant hide (gross, sorry).  Maybe it has something to do with texture?  And also the amount of bending and flexing that goes on.  An expert (who actually has an elbow tattoo) could give you a better answer.

As for the ankle tattoos, I've had an ankle tattoo for close to 17 years now (first a small, solid black one, then a much larger cover up) and neither have been affected by socks.  Don't know if this helps.  Maybe someone else has a different experience.