Julio Avila

so i live in wisconsin. there is absolutely no shortage of obese people here. this topic is NOT a bash on them.

i was tattooing a gay bear the other day. had him sit in a chair to outline his half sleeve. i need him to lay down to outline the inside of his arm. he layed down, no problem. i did need him to sit up for a second to readjust something. he got off the massage table and sat in the middle. we heard a very loud SNAP!!!!! he sat down and i told him to stand up. i turned the thing over and one of the wooden support bars snapped in two! he was mortified!!!!!!! sooooo embarrassed. i was just relieved that he wasnt hurt. hes a cool guy getting some cool tattoos. i was able to finish the outline with him sitting down.

so i have to get a replacement table. but now im super scared to get another like the original one because i dont want it to break while a big person is on it. ive been looking around online and found one made with metal legs. welded aircraft aluminum.

anybody have any tips on a massage table that i can fold up?

ive been freaking out over this the last day and a half. i just dont want anyone to get hurt. im sure i tattoo an obese person 3 or 4 times a month. by obese i guess i mean over 300 pounds

We are a Queer positive shop so we have no - NO - shortage of every kind of person from every fringe queer community and it's AMAZING. The other day, a guy said to me "This new album is SO gay." and I replied "YES THAT IS AWESOME!" It felt mututally nice that when someone called something gay the first reaction we all had wasn't like "Oh, really? It's stupid?" LOL

Anyway, as for the massage tables -- STAY AWAY from the ones that have the beams that pull out and you click them into the four corner legs. They're cheap cuz they're week. Try to find one that fold out as simply as possible with as little assembly as those are the ones that I've used for years and had no problem getting REAAAAL big boys and girls on top.

It's a nice thing, too, to be able to tell a client who is scared that they m ight d amage your table by virtue of their weight to, "do their worst." Or similar jokey-type-thing. Really breaks the ice and let's 'em feel like no one gives a shit if they've got a few extra pounds. We just wanna tatttoo em and not judge.

Totally! That's the worst part of conventions - everything is so precariously assembled and balanced to get clients in good positions that it can get a little distracting. We just worked our first local convention (or close to home, I should say) and having all the comforts in the back of our van (like proper tables and chairs and pillows etc) was AWESOME. Made the work simple and fun. We found our best massage table at a hardware store! Just goes to show that a lot of those furniture companies aren't really doing anyone a favour. You just gotta open your eyes.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
We are a Queer positive shop so we have no - NO - shortage of every kind of person from every fringe queer community and it's AMAZING. The other day, a guy said to me "This new album is SO gay." and I replied "YES THAT IS AWESOME!" It felt mututally nice that when someone called something gay the first reaction we all had wasn't like "Oh, really? It's stupid?" LOL

Anyway, as for the massage tables -- STAY AWAY from the ones that have the beams that pull out and you click them into the four corner legs. They're cheap cuz they're week. Try to find one that fold out as simply as possible with as little assembly as those are the ones that I've used for years and had no problem getting REAAAAL big boys and girls on top.

It's a nice thing, too, to be able to tell a client who is scared that they m ight d amage your table by virtue of their weight to, "do their worst." Or similar jokey-type-thing. Really breaks the ice and let's 'em feel like no one gives a shit if they've got a few extra pounds. We just wanna tatttoo em and not judge.

Thank you for this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...