Tattoo Pet Peeves

I noticed this weekend at the convention that people with tiny tattoos on their wrist or a small black tattoo outline on their ankle consider themselves tattoo experts. I know they are excited, and they feel part of a club, but dude. You are not an expert because you have an infinity symbol on your wrist or your kid's name written on your ankle. They know EVERYTHING because they have a five-minute $50 tattoo of their sorority name on their wrist or inside of their fingers.  It was hilarious and also very weird. I like that they refer to people without tiny tattoos on their wrists as plainskins. Um, no. Just no.

Also, as an aside, I hate the term "plainskins." I don't judge anyone for not having tattoos. They aren't plainskins. They are just people who don't have tattoos.

Edited by oboogie

I know what you mean about people being instant experts. My tattoo was 5 hours and I still would be wary giving advice or acting like I know it all. 

I especially hate people with tiny tattoos who say tattooing doesn't hurt, like they are really tough. Mine didn't hurt for the first hour either, try sitting there for the whole day tho!

I have 2 full sleeves, a full pectoral done, the back of my calf done, and a couple of other small random regrettable pieces (that will eventually be covered), and I still know next to nothing about tattoos and tattooing.

When I give advice or an opinion, I try to make sure that I preface it with "for me, with my tattoos..."

I really can't stand "know it alls", especially on something that is as permanent as a tattoo.

When the artists in the shop talk about tattooing, there are so many things that we (not professional tattoo artists) don't even think to think about. Everything from passing the epidermis and keeping the ink in the dermis, to coil and rotary and pneumatic tattoo machines, to needle speeds and depths, to bloodlines, to colour blending.... But yeah, please share your in depth knowledge and never ending bank of advice with me!

It's all good though, my favourite is when I'm wearing long sleeves and someone with about an hour of experience under the tattoo needle is counselling me about tattoos. Then I pull up my sleeve to check the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to say that I know 1% of nothing...about most things. :) I try not to judge these folks to much because they are so freaking excited about their "work." It's fun to watch them spin. Obviously, being the 15 minute expert is dangerous if they are giving advice but hopefully their advice is taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone who is posting here could school them in a instant if they wanted to do so. It's more amusing to let them go... And know-it-alls on any topic are just f'ing annoying.

Yeah, so this 100%: oh - and people who constantly talk about getting tattooed but never do. I look at it as a couple of types of people. First, those who most likely will get a tattoo but haven't figured out what they want yet and those who are attention seekers. I have a friend who falls into the later category. She posted a check-in on FB at a shop with the caption "getting ink". A bunch of us were excited for her and asked for details...she never responded. At this point, I don't give a ** if she did or not. She'd respond with a passive aggressive comment. Totally not worth it. @marley mission

You find experts in anything you do. 

People generally get excited about what they like and want to appear very knowledgeable. And with tattoos they also want to appear tough - "like I sat for 10hrs straight", I hear this brag statement so often for the most unsubstantial tattoos it is nauseating. I'm like, good for you that must have hurt! But when it's obvious they got grey lined, then lined, then re-lined again and then delicately grey shaded I'm like suuuure bud that must. have. hurt (your pocket) !

But whatever, I know what's up with my tattoos and my tattooists and what it really takes to go the distance, so good for them.

I guess my peeve is people asking about your tattoos. They don't sincerely ask about your tattoos.

Nobody gives a shit about your tattoos.

Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic...but 90% of the time being asked about your tattoos is simply the unsolicited invitation for people to just talk and show off their own. It is a penis-measuring contest. People love to talk. And love hearing themselves talk.

And perhaps I'm no different. I mean really I post here at LST often because this is one of the very few outlets I have (aside from the tattoo shop) where I can wax about tattoos and my experience with honesty (and feel like I have an audience haha). So peace to the LST cats for reading my words, whether you reply or care. Or you can just scroll past, who cares!

There is a lot of ego and attitude in the tattoo scene. So perhaps the lesson for me here is to ask people about their tattoos (in person) more often when i do see something cool or fresh. Everybody has their own story to tell.

It's all good though. Just keep getting tattooed because you enjoy it. Enjoy it for yourself. The people who truly are ass-deep (literally) into tattoos no what's up and will keep the culture thriving, pet peeves or not.

Edited by bongsau

1 hour ago, Gingerninja said:

people who constantly talk about getting tattooed but never do.

haha yup. but when you have buds who are like this...and then they FINALLY get that tattoo they keep yapping about it. it is pretty exciting to watch them be excited. one of my favourite things in the tattoo shop is watching somebody get their first tattoo. 

wait - this is pet peeve thread, i'm supposed to be complaining, not posting about my favourite things haha cheers

28 minutes ago, bongsau said:

haha yup. but when you have buds who are like this...and then they FINALLY get that tattoo they keep yapping about it. it is pretty exciting to watch them be excited. one of my favourite things in the tattoo shop is watching somebody get their first tattoo. 

wait - this is pet peeve thread, i'm supposed to be complaining, not posting about my favourite things haha cheers

Makes me want to spin Frank Turner's song "Tattoos"! Think that I will...

2 hours ago, bongsau said:

There is a lot of ego and attitude in the tattoo scene. So perhaps the lesson for me here is to ask people about their tattoos (in person) more often when i do see something cool or fresh. Everybody has their own story to tell.

It's all good though. Just keep getting tattooed because you enjoy it. Enjoy it for yourself. The people who truly are ass-deep (literally) into tattoos no what's up and will keep the culture thriving, pet peeves or not.

I couldn't agree more.  There were some situations where people just didn't want to help me, prior to getting tattooed.  I made me feel as if "I wasn't good enough" for information.  

But now, I always try to help when asked.  I give my honest opinion and sometimes they follow and sometimes they don't.  I enjoyed the last 3 years of getting tattoo and I'm happy I waited to get my first tattoo.

I once was at a party and approached a local tattoo artist with the intention of asking if she was interested in doing my next piece. She asked to see my tattoo, which I was aware was lame as I was just starting out. When she saw it, she turned around and walked away without saying a word. I was pretty bummed.

Later when she did my sleeve I mentioned to her what had happened years before and made the point that everyone has to start somewhere.

A pet peeve for me is all the kids that are new to getting tattooed that are going straight for the most visible spots on the body, such as a warped tour body suit. After spending a lot of time reading the posts and threads on LST, it makes sense for me to cover my body in a traditional manner (e.g. Torso, thighs, upper arms, then moving to more visible areas). In the end it doesn't matter what the content is or where a person gets tattooed, doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Edited by Ducky15568

People can do what they like, of course. But try sitting for three days at a tattoo convention paperwork table listening to people wax lyrical about their infinity symbol the size of a dime. It was just funny.

Anyway, we all have our bugaboos, and this is one of mine. You should absolutely feel free to not read this thread. ;-)

Another one (I'm sure a few more will come to me); I find it semi-annoying when someone really wants to know what the tattoos you have "symbolize" or what meaning they have. I guess the old saying is applicable... "I liked the look of this (insert tattoo type), so I got it tattooed". That's usually responded to with "do you think you'll regret that when you're older?" Holy geez. I'm in my 30s, I am a big boy now and my mom told me that I can do anything that I want. She also tells me I'm handsome and special.

But all kidding aside, I've done many other things along the way that I'll regret forever and FAR more than being an inked up grandpa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk