Tattoo Pet Peeves

Got my first just a little over a month ago - but at 61, retired Army officer and current college president I'm not in the usual group of folks most people think of getting a tattoo. Mine is not visible unless I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt. As people have learned about my first foray, they've been very positive. I get some of the "why would you do that?" One colleague asked if I was going to start drinking shots of whiskey again/ My response? I never stopped.

I guess it is because tattoos are so much in the public consciousness, but I don't understand why people feel so comfortable coming up and touching my tattoos, and asking personal questions, completely out of nowhere. This is similar to when I have been pregnant and strangers feel quite comfortable coming up and putting their hand upon my belly. EXCUSE me? I have been stopped in public by strangers and asked to raise the sleeve of my shirt so a better view can be achieved. ????? 

How is this different than if you had a really nice piece of jewelry or outfit on, and I just walked up to you and touched the collar of your jacket or fingered your watch/necklace, asked you where you got it, how much it cost, etc.? How about if you had a nasty scar on your arm and I couldn't quite see the entire thing, and I asked you, a stranger, to raise your shirt sleeve a bit so I could see it all. It would not be acceptable behavior. 

I realize that people assume you have tattoos because you want them to be seen, maybe, and you want to share them with the world, but not necessarily!

I've had a bunch of people want to touch mine, as well. But, the reason is that they don't believe it is real. Despite posting pics on my FB page during the process of having mine done, people still think it was an April fools joke and it was just temporary. They want to touch it to prove that it is real. Now that I'm healed, I honestly don't care so I'll happily pull up my sleeve and let them look/touch. I enjoy seeing he reaction on their faces when they realize it IS real.

On ‎3‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:49 AM, mmmsarah said:

I know what you mean about people being instant experts. My tattoo was 5 hours and I still would be wary giving advice or acting like I know it all. 

I especially hate people with tiny tattoos who say tattooing doesn't hurt, like they are really tough. Mine didn't hurt for the first hour either, try sitting there for the whole day tho!

Amen!

I have a friend like that. I have had to remind her that while she may think her foot tattoo or chest tattoo didn't hurt,  they are also outline tattoos that were over in under 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my biggest one is just seeing some of the shit that pops up on my Facebook news feed from my friends getting tattooed. I have a friend who just got her first and was extremely proud of it. It's a tribal butterfly that isn't even symmetrical. Like, not even close. How do you even screw that up? Just draw half of it and then fold the paper over! It was a bad concept, badly drawn, and badly applied. It blows my mind to see otherwise intelligent people I know just losing their minds when it comes to tattoos. Tattoos don't HAVE to look bad, you know! And in this day and age, when you can look up thousands of tattooers on Facebook, Instagram, etc and get a feel for what can be accomplished. I just legitimately don't understand.

Ultimately people can do what they want and good for them for being proud of what they get. I just hope that they'll see the error of their ways soon for my own selfish reasons because I want good tattoos cluttering my news feed, not shitty ones. :8_laughing:

I have 2 tattoos and I would definitely not consider myself an expert! I know some stuff, more than the average person probably, but I still ask questions about tattoos from more experienced people.

One of my pet peeves is when people say I'm going to regret my tattoos. I've had my first one for almost 4 years and I love it just as much as I did when I got it, and my other one is about a year younger, and I love that one just as much as I did when I first got it...no regrets at all!

• 2 weeks later...

People who get tattoos based on how cheap an artist is and not on his quality of work in general or in that specific style.  Even worse is people who are upset with what their money got them but continue to search for "deals".  The scratchers in my town are real and they abundant, the people willing to see them are in kind.