Using flowers other than roses?

Im thinking of putting Pansies (my mums favorite flowers) in part of a tattoo, and i found plenty of good reference photos and whatnot, but i cant see it making a good tattoo? Just wondering on your opinions of whether or not a Pansy would tattoo well? Mum likes the ones just like the one im attaching a photo of.

And also i was just wondering on what people thought about using flowers other than the most common, ie. roses and cherry blossoms and such.

<a  href=pansyviolaxwittrockiana.jpg' alt='pansyv

I haven't seen a ton of pansies in tattoos, but any flower can look fabulous in the hands of the right tattooer. What's really important is that YOU like them and that they mean something to you and your mom. I'm a huge fan of both chrysanthemums and peonies myself.

im a huge rose fan, they are so full, so versatile and can change the mood of a piece by changing a few things while still looking like a rose. they also fit great in odd spaces and help solve so many cover up dilemmas. i never get sick of tattooing them.

i love peonies and chrysanthemums also but never do many of them at all. i do prefer tattoos that have more traditional flowers in them.

Alot of people forget that there are many different types of roses all having unique styles and characteristics to them along with unique color patterns, stems, and blossoms. They all generally look the same and some people tattoo them not knowing it's actually a rose they're tattooing. Some roses don't look anything close to what is generally accepted as a rose or "hybrid tea" as its technically called. Carnations are pretty sweet though. I think any flower would look good as a tattoo if it's done right and standard roses get pretty damn redundant after awhile.

more or less how i see it is that if you can draw it, you can tattoo it. i realize that's not 100% applicable, but it makes sense in my mind. as long as you have a good artist, there's no reason you won't be able to make that work. so get what you love.

i think there's no reason to feel stuck because you're worried it won't work. i have no doubt there's someone out there who can make it happen.

also, some shameless non-rose personal shares. my most recent and unfinished floral piece. jatropha and clerodendrums:

l.jpg

• 1 month later...

I love flowers! they are definitely one of my favorite things to do. I see so many people that do flowers suck at it. Being a flower lover I can tell that they had no clue what the flower they were doing looked like?? Such a bad fuck up and bummer for the client!

I know that my flowers are not always color correct but they look like the flowers they're supposed to.

FLiP

gotta do what you want. i have done pansies, i have done dozens of different types of flowers. its all about getting what you want and fuck the rest. just do your research and find a good tattooer. reference is key a lot of time. the better the reference the better the results as long as your with a qualified tattooer.

• 3 months later...