Gift suggestions for my tattoo artist

Kurgana

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Kurgana said:

I guess this could have gohimto one of the tattoo forums as well, but since it's not really strictly tattoo related, I'm posting it here...

I'm booked for my next tattoo with a new artist in June. He's been really nice with me during the whole booking/planning phase, and he actually booked my tattoo for his birthday which he had intended to keep free, since he seems to be almost as excited to do the tattoo as I am to get it and the next available appointment was a month or so later. I'd like to get him something small to show my appreciation - nothing too big since I don't want him to feel uncomfortable or obliged to drop the price further since he already lowered the quote from our first contact after hearing what the tattoo was going to be and I'm more than happy to pay what he's asking. Large tips are not really done here either.

I have no idea of what he likes apart from tattoos, so I was thinking something like a large set of Sharpies (two artists I know at another local studio love them and they are impossible to find locally) or a framed poster/print for the studio (like an old tattoo gun patent or something like that). They do also have a small collection of tattoo-related books at the studio that could be added to but frankly I wouldn't know what to pick....

I think a generous tip would be good because he will feel like you appreciate gHim and ITs just a cool feeling too

As said above, I think if you're going to try to get an artist a gift it's helpful to know them well enough that it's something they might actually want.

I used to always bring Tomo a bottle of irish whisky from duty free. Mainly because after the first session I found out he wasnt mostly tee total like Shige, and he seemed to genuinely like drinking the stuff. In Japan they also lean towards disposable gifts (limited space, it's almost rude to give something that must be hung \ takes up room). I figured he could re-gift what he didn't want to drink since the Japanese love spirits in general.

For Shige, we had discussed the similarities between Buddhist prayer beads and rosary beads, so when I was getting tattooed by him I brought a replica of the rosary issued to soldiers in the early 20th century. A few years ago I had made the mistake of giving him booze (he was gracious, only found out later he rarely if ever drinks).

When I got my back done by Ching I did the whisky thing too and he tended to crack them open then and there. Loved the stuff - I thibk, again, it's an Asian thing. Taiwanese love whisky and distill quite a bit themselves.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk