New guy here

rawbeanz

Oops, didn't realize I would need 10 posts to post in the advice forum but I guess I'll just ask here. Anybody have any experience with tattoos that are continuous pieces? I've done quite a bit of traveling since I graduated from college last March and really wanted to get a world map tattooed and putting "pins" like the google maps pins or little airplanes and dotted lines leading back to home on locations where I've traveled. I have definitely seen the maps that get colored in piece by piece, but I wanted a more unique look. Does anyone think this is possible? I know it would be tough to ink over anything that has already been previously drawn.

18 minutes ago, rawbeanz said:

Oops, didn't realize I would need 10 posts to post in the advice forum but I guess I'll just ask here. Anybody have any experience with tattoos that are continuous pieces? I've done quite a bit of traveling since I graduated from college last March and really wanted to get a world map tattooed and putting "pins" like the google maps pins or little airplanes and dotted lines leading back to home on locations where I've traveled. I have definitely seen the maps that get colored in piece by piece, but I wanted a more unique look. Does anyone think this is possible? I know it would be tough to ink over anything that has already been previously drawn.

Welcome to the forum!
Regarding your question: Why don't you just get a sick tattoo from a great local artist in places you visit? 
That way you can make you're own "world map" without having to cram a lot of tiny pins and airplanes on a worldmap outline. The way you described your tattoo it will only look uncluttered and stand the test of time if you dedicate a large portion of your back to it. Lets be honest, a rock of ages or battle royal would look so much better on your back ;)

Also tattooing over an already existing tattoo can be done, but do it too often and scar tissue will form on those spots

just my 0.02

Edited by ChrisvK

Totally agree with @ChrisvK...

If you're looking for a "unique look" the map with pins on it might not serve you in the long run...why not just set one of those up on your wall? Or get one travel themed tattoo as a stand-alone? As an ongoing tattoo, I think locking yourself into this idea limits a lot of really cool opportunities. 

Lots of members here have traveled and gotten tattoos (myself included). You'll remember where you got 'em without displaying it on a map.