So I got a new tattoo and it was a disaster... Badly need advice..

aryastark

I finally got my very first tattoo.. I've been wanting to get one since I was in college but never had the courage to do so.. But anyway lately I asked a friend if she knows anyone who knows how to tattoo.. And she recommended me to her friend, I want someone I can trust to, so I asked friends instead of going to a shop. Anyway, I wanted the doves with dandalion flower I showed him the picture and it was not the what I expected it to be.

I'm just wondering if I can possibly cover it up eventhough its relatively new? I want to cover it with a dreamcatcher.. But any ideas are welcome. Here's the photo of my tattoo.. Its in the back of my right shoulder.

I'm just wondering if this is possible?

PLEASE HELP

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by aryastark

Always do your research and go to a reputable shop. Always. That's what I would recommend doing now. Find a tattoo artist in  your area who does coverups well, and go and see him for a consultation. I am sorry you are unhappy with it.

I would find a reputable shop with an artist skilled in cover-up work and consult with him/her. It would seem to me that the placement of your existing tattoo and the shape might make a dreamcatcher hard given the amount of open space. But, let the expert figure out what can and can't be done. My artists wanted to wait at least 2 to 3 weeks before doing touch-up work - but we all heal at different rates. Again, the expert can assess your degree of healing and then do the work when it is safe to do so. Good luck and go in with an open mind. If a dreamcatcher isn't possible, there is probably something else that you will like.

4 hours ago, aryastark said:

But is it possible that this can be covered up? And how long does it take to be fully healed normally?

You need to talk to an artist. It can definitely be covered, but as @Devious6 says, I don't think you can put a dreamcatcher over it because of the angle and spacing. But the only way to know for sure is to speak to a reputable artist ASAP.

Based on the story, I was expecting much worse.  It's a little blurred out around the flower, but that would have happened with age anyway.

Think hard about your next tattoo, and look at a lot of artist portfolios in shops (or on Instagram, where most every artist posts their work), an then just get another one you like. This is may not have come out like you thought, but given what you said, it's really not that bad - I'd keep it!

Edited by otisc

I'm a little uncomfortable with the flower, i just fee like an ~artist who does tattooing as a profession can enhance it though. Or probably I will just get the dreamcatcher on my left back shoulder.

I will make extensive research on my next tattoo, sigh. I should have listened to my cousin to get a small one first. 

go into a tattoo shop. 

look at the portfolios.

talk to somebody about a cover-up.

relax and be patient.

that is a small minimal tattoo...you're going to have to go slightly bigger for a cover-up. i bet a skilled tattooer could cover your 'disaster' with the same idea, just executed bigger and better.

Just take a deep breath. It's not the end of the world. You aren't dying. we've seen waaaaay worse.

Edited by bongsau

Live with the tattoo for a while.  Spend some time around here, watch the artist interview videos, read through the Latest Tattoo Lowdown thread, through the What Makes A Good Tattoo thread, learn about tattoos.  Get on instagram and see the kind of work tattooers are doing.  Do your research, get more and better tattoos.  Eventually lose the dandelion and birds in the background of a backpiece when you're ready.

16 hours ago, Graeme said:

Live with the tattoo for a while.  Spend some time around here, watch the artist interview videos, read through the Latest Tattoo Lowdown thread, through the What Makes A Good Tattoo thread, learn about tattoos.  Get on instagram and see the kind of work tattooers are doing.  Do your research, get more and better tattoos.  Eventually lose the dandelion and birds in the background of a backpiece when you're ready.

Okay thank you. I might keep it for a few months, until i figure out what to cover it for.

On May 7, 2016 at 10:08 AM, ghostknife said:

A dream catcher seems like it would be a tough fit. I'd imagine flowers would be totally doable. Like others said, do your research and go to a reputable shop.

Flowers are fine. Just a small ones though.. I still want the dreamcatcher. Sigh.