Healing time depends on the area?

Naiemh

Hello!
I wanted to share with you my experience with the healing time because I found some differences depending on the tattooed area!
I don't know if it's because of my after-care products or because of my skin (I know it heals faster and better than usual), but my tattoos heal super fast.

For the back tattoo (a big area) the scabs started appearing the 3rd day. In just 3 days it was peeling! and then the 7th day all the scabs just dissapeared, maybe a little bit dry. But now after 10 days after the last session it is perfect, smooth and the ink is just bright and settled super perfect.

But then I retouched the ankle cat tattoo (not small, but not super big as my back tattoo. You can see them on my gallery) and it started peeling after 1 week, and the scabs dissapeared after 16 days. Now after 17 days it is a little bit dry but it healed perfect anyway, nice and regular colours. 

So, my super big back tattoo healed 100% in 10 days and my ankle one, after 17 days, isn't even 100% healed, maybe in 2 or 3 days it will be as perfectly healed as my back one.

So I realized a super big difference in the healing time for both areas!!! I have to say that I used Lush products (first Ultrabalm 5 days, and then Dream cream) for the back one (vegan and natural) and Tattoo goo for the ankle one.

Did you experienced such a difference in the healing times depending on the area? If so, why is this happening?
Or maybe it's because of the products?
I heard nice reviews abou tattoo goo, so it's strange that it slows the healing process...

Even when the ingredients are different, they're all natural in both products so I don't think any of the ingredients of tattoo goo could be slowering the healing process, that's why I guessed it could be just that different areas heal different.

Any opinions?

The biggest thing is allowing the balance of moisture and dry skin. To much moisture product prevents the skin to breathe and allow the healing process to take place. In addition if the skin is to moist it can harbor bacteria to settle in. If the skin is to dry it will crack and cause the skin to open up and that's bad news for the tattoo as well. There isn't a gold slandered per say but know your skin sensitivity. What is important is limiting the amount of plasma in the first 24-36 hours after you get home and keeping the skin sanitized really well.

7 hours ago, jen7 said:

My back healed completely in 10 days. My leg is 2 weeks out and still in a brutal peel.

Wow, so you are in a similar situation than me! 

9 hours ago, 9Years said:

The body will heal things like tattoos the same way it heals any other minor ailment (cuts/bruise/burn/abrasion etc): areas with poor circulation will heal slower than more vascular or central areas. 

It makes a lot of sense, thanks a lot for the information, that's so good to know!

9 hours ago, AverageJer said:

I think season/weather makes a difference as well. I might be making this up but it seems like my tattoos heal better in the cold dry winter than in the heat and humidity of summer. 

Wow, I didn't know that, that's good to know too and I will try to check if that's the same for me with future tattoos!!

9 hours ago, marley mission said:

different spots heal different

mine have run the spectrum of easy to challenging

generally legs are tougher for me

spots of my upper torso were super quick heals

just the way it goes

Oh, so it seems to be the same for everyone, central areas tattoos heal faster than the ones on the extremities...!
So cool to know it happens to everyone!

10 hours ago, Gear_Head said:

The biggest thing is allowing the balance of moisture and dry skin. To much moisture product prevents the skin to breathe and allow the healing process to take place. In addition if the skin is to moist it can harbor bacteria to settle in. If the skin is to dry it will crack and cause the skin to open up and that's bad news for the tattoo as well. There isn't a gold slandered per say but know your skin sensitivity. What is important is limiting the amount of plasma in the first 24-36 hours after you get home and keeping the skin sanitized really well.

Yep, always a thin layer of moisturizer is the right solution!

About the plasma, what do you mean? I always remove the bandage after 5 hours, wash it twice a day and then let the skin air dry before puting in the ointment, and I never put a bandage on it again

Yep, it makes a lot of sense, and has been true for me. The lower legs took the longest because they are the furthest away from the heart and blood flow is the most challenged in that part of the body, even for the young and healthy, with gravity adding to the challenge. I see this in the medical field - lower leg wounds take FOR-EVER to heal, in some people more than others, but in general this is going to be true in everyone. For my lower legs I try to keep them elevated during the healing process whenever I can.

Yeah there is a huge difference... Hell, I've had a difference in left and right arm, even though the same product was used. I think it depends so much on how your body is doing, so everything including your diet counts. Only thing I do know, is that drinking beers after getting a tattoo, then Aquaphor for 2 days then pretty much dry for the rest works for me in most cases. Sweating within 3 days has always resulted in scabs and color loss.

• 5 months later...

I need help with this question too. I got my tat at the end of August 2016. I uploaded before and after pics. 

My tattoo as of right now looks really dark. When I take pic or when ppl see me from a far they cant make out what it is. Can someone please help me. Is this normal? Is there still waiting I should do? Or a cream or lotion I can use to lighten it?

Thank you. 

IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

@Deepayso i dont think the lightness or darkness is what is effecting the readability of your tattoo - i was zooming in on it and i still have a tough time getting a sense for what it is - part of that is the placement but also design and application are factors - i'm not saying its a bad tattoo - not every tattoo needs to be readable from across the room - anyway - the idea of intentionally trying to lighten the tattoo is a crazy one - just live with it - enjoy it - and if you want future tattoos more readable go with bold traditional styles instead of black and grey

Edited by marley mission

Here is a general rule, which I have observed in my experience, both tattooing and healing my tattoos. 

Epidermis (which is the outer layer of your skin) is the part of your tattoo, that usually peels off, in healing. 

If the area is a joint (wrist, elbow. ankle, neck, etc..), which needs super stretchy skin so you can move is around, the reason it peels differently is because there is usually more flexibility to that particular skin and the epidermis is thicker, because of it... thicker peeling is the result.  

Non joints, (forearm, calf, thigh, forehead, etc..) does not need super stretchy skin,  that particular skin and the epidermis is particularly thinner... thinner peeling is the result.  

Now with every rule there are exceptions and healing tattoos breaks all the rules, your skin is an extension of your body, so your diet, stress, and environment, sleep or lack thereof, all effect the outcome.

...this might shed some light. 

• 3 years later...

Same here! I got my back tattoo done on Monday and it’s now 10 minuets until Friday! It’s almost completely peeled! I got two much smaller ones on my wrists and they haven't even started peeling yet, still rough to the touch and pretty solid scab! 
here’s the tattoo on monday

spacer.png

and today! spacer.png

surprisingly I’ve been using the LITHA method since I’ve done that with two of my piercing sets and partially with my last arm tattoo 

(and due to the placement making it real hard to reach)

Only used moisturizer once (I always use aveno) and fully washed it once since the first day (since I’ve kept a low backed shirt n bra on so it doesn’t get irritated.)

my two arm tattoos took around two to three weeks to almost fully heal I believe! 
gonna keep my wrist ones tracked now. 
backs still super sensitive but that might just be because I’ve had work and a cat jumping on my back)

never really felt scab ish either. From the start it felt kind of weird and almost like brown paper bags. Not to mention my hair grows back within Two days of it being done and shaved

also to note, I am anemic as well from a vitamin deficiency so I’m even more surprised it healed so quick! And I don’t get much sleep either haha

i definitely recommend a back tattoo in terms of healing time and general color holding

definitely DONT RECOMMEND IT FOR THE PAIN! Line art went real smooth but ohhhh boy the filling was hell. Hurts so bad. If you get one right on the spine probably get topical numbing put on before! (Or don’t cause I’m just not very tolerant of pain haha)