On 5/8/2016 at 4:33 PM, JBluewind said:

After a quick search looking for ideas for an ear tattoo, I quickly realized that there are no threads or mentions in existing threads about the ear area. So I'm fixing that. This is a thread for sharing finished ear area tattoos as well as ear area tattoo ideas, experiences, reactions, healing tips, and tattooing experiences.

I got this Marquesas  piece last wed on Maui from Mo'o http://tataubymoo.com/ at http://www.bluehawaiitattoomaui.com/   he designed it for me after a long conversation and many months consultation.

13177487_10209861312075286_4622810367640

Edited by Dan

@JBluewind I was thinking the same thing about the clef heart would balance nicely opposite your other little 96 piece. good decision. I wouldn't put the red robin behind your ear (too small)...make it palm size and slap it elsewhere (like on the top of the arm). A traditional design would work very nicely, minimal colour (red and another highlight) and hard black outline. You could get a decent sized bird for a couple hundred bucks easily. Good luck !

Edited by bongsau

30 minutes ago, bongsau said:

@JBluewind I was thinking the same thing about the clef heart would balance nicely opposite your other little 96 piece. good decision. I wouldn't put the red robin behind your ear (too small)...make it palm size and slap it elsewhere (like on the top of the arm). A traditional design would work very nicely, minimal colour (red and another highlight) and hard black outline. You could get a decent sized bird for a couple hundred bucks easily. Good luck !

My existing piece (next to last sketch is my avatar) is actually a broken infinity symbolizing the importance of a finite existence with hidden lowercase g symbolizing taking the power away from God and swirls represents wind symbolizing that even the invisible is not exempt from science and proof. It was my own design to celebrate coming out as an atheist. Everybody here was really awesome helping me tweak it ^_^

Yeah. I think it will look beautiful on the opposite side of my ankle (inner right) from my broken infinity. They have the same feel. I'm so happy I found it! Now if I could only find the other symbols I need so easily and figure out how to arrange them so they have a good flow!

*braces self for backlash* I'm not actually a fan of old school. I like tribal, black work, black and gray, neo traditional, some new school, cartoon, some fantasy, and realism, but not old school/traditional. It looks good sometimes on other people, but it's not my style. I also HATE my arms (total bat wings) so the only ink I might ever get on them would be wrists (and maybe behind my shoulder later).

I really do want a simple tattoo behind my ear. My friend suggested a simple black line robin with a flash of read on the chest. I'm not sure. I'm still debating.

@Dan Wow! Nice line work man. It's clean and has a good flow. How was the pain level? Think you'll get a similar one on the other side?

Edited by JBluewind
typo

27 minutes ago, JBluewind said:

My existing piece (next to last sketch is my avatar) is actually a broken infinity symbolizing the importance of a finite existence with hidden lowercase g symbolizing taking the power away from God and swirls represents wind symbolizing that even the invisible is not exempt from science and proof. It was my own design to celebrate coming out as an atheist. Everybody here was really awesome helping me tweak it ^_^

Yeah. I think it will look beautiful on the opposite side of my ankle (inner right) from my broken infinity. They have the same feel. I'm so happy I found it! Now if I could only find the other symbols I need so easily and figure out how to arrange them so they have a good flow!

*braces self for backlash* I'm not actually a fan of old school. I like tribal, black work, black and gray, neo traditional, some new school, cartoon, some fantasy, and realism, but not old school/traditional. It looks good sometimes on other people, but it's not my style. I also HATE my arms (total bat wings) so the only ink I might ever get on them would be wrists (and maybe behind my shoulder later).

I really do want a simple tattoo behind my ear. My friend suggested a simple black line robin with a flash of read on the chest. I'm not sure. I'm still debating.

@Dan Wow! Nice line work man. It's clean and has a good flow. How was the pain level? Think you'll get a similar one on the other side?

thanks very much,and I already have a piece on the right side.

the pain was ok except for the skull bone towards the top of it.that started to hurt.

I've been brainstorming and I was wondering if a robin feather would work better than a robin for behind my ear. I'm having trouble finding an image of anything but feathers from the wings and tail to get an idea of how it might look. Any thoughts? 

Regarding pain- A few weeks ago, when I was getting tattooed by Jason Scott, Spencer Scott tattooed something small behind some girl's ear.  I asked Jay what he thought the pain was like for something in that area. He said it's not particularly painful, but it is extremely LOUD and that seems to bother folks the most. Thought that was interesting since it's a spot I'll probably never have done. 

• 3 months later...

hey guys, reviving an old topic as now i'm thinking of getting a tattoo on my ear.

i wanted it to be a combination of dots, lines and shadings like so:

Image result

Image result

As i read through this thread, many comments suggested not going ahead with the ear tatoos due to the area not being large enough, not being able to tattoo bold ink and so forth. but what about with going along with something like the above. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...