DIY Stick and Poke? Sterilization?

DevRam

I've been looking into DIY stick and poke tattoos and have decided to try one. I'm going to make ink from ash and water. I'm just wondering how to sterilize this. In some of the things I've seen online people use vodka instead of water. I'm assuming that's just for sterilization purposes so instead I'm just going to use water and rubbing alcohol(I'm thinking a teaspoon of 97%). Will this work?

About two days before I was scheduled to go in to get my first tattoo, I was listening to National Public Radio. They have a segment called Health In A Heartbeat. That day's subject was the high incidence of medical issues associated with DIY stick and poke tattoos - infection, Hep C, HIV, allergic reactions..... The final recommendation was to always go to a professional tattooist that operates a clean shop with sterile equipment. When the most liberal broadcasting venue in the country recommends against something that is the epitome of personal choice, I listen.