How tattoo removal works [Video]

Found this explainer video that really accurately shows what happens during tattoo removal... worth the 85 seconds if you're interested http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-during-laser-tattoo-removal-2016-5

What's not covered though is that ink is not regulated, by anyone, and the application of tattoos is violent and can cause scar tissue.  If the pigment becomes encapsulated with scar tissue from the tattooing process, it's very hard to remove it.  Pigment colors, location on the body, lining vs. shading, age of both the tattoo and the person wearing it and overall immune system health are also variables in how successful each tattoo removal appointment are. 

Have questions about anything, leave a comment. 

@Mike PanicThanks for posting this and for contributing so thoughtfully, factually, and intelligently to the discussion about laser removal.  I don't have any tattoos I want to remove, but in the case that sometime in the future I do decide to remove some to make way for other tattoos or whatever, I'm going to be a lot more informed of my options largely thanks to you.

Edited by Graeme

• 3 months later...

I have a question, and hopefully it's not too dumb..the lasers that are used, are they the same type of lasers used on faces? I ask b/c last year I had a series of laser "peels" to try and clear up my skin. Two that were on the high end of shit this hurts but I can deal w/it and one that was on the fuck you level of I've been set on fire and my face is melting. Both the same type of laser. I just wondered if they were the same kind-I was reading a couple other removal threads and the names sounded familiar, so I wasn't sure if it was b/c that's what I had used on me, or I just remembered reading about them in my research about different types of lasers. There's different settings/levels etc I know. 

@iowagirl I'm going to only make a generalized reply based on the info I know about, and with the lack of info you provided.  There are many types of laser treatments for skin, generally speaking what I do for tattoo removal is with a different laser at a different wave length, unless you're talking about a PicoSure.  The PicoSure has an optional hand piece that can be used for skin rejuvenation, pore reduction, skin tightening and minor acne scar reduction.  

Sorry, I wasn't sure what all info would be needed, how many different types of lasers there are or what they were called. I had a nano laser peel. Two treatments at 8 microns and one at 20. It struck me to ask b/c I was looking at a brochure for removal and it said they use a system that has two picosecond lasers and two nanosecond lasers, and I thought nanosecond, I think that's what I had, I wonder if they're the same/similar just w/different settings for different uses. 

Again @iowagirl it's really tough to say.  QS  Nd:YAG lasers have recently started to be used on toenail fungus, too.  In the most polite way I can, the answer is maybe

Up until about 4 years ago the only Pico-second laser on the market was PicoSure (made by Cynosure), which can do both tattoo removal and skin rejuvenation.  Since then, a few other companies have introduced Pico-second technology that I'm aware of only for tattoo removal, as that's the field I'm in.  They include machines made by Quanta, Candella and Zarin. 

Thanks for the reply-I just was curious is all, wondering if the same equipment can be used for different things. And after having experienced lasers on my face, for instance if that same piece of equipment was used to break up tattoo ink w/out harming the skin..it's just fascinating the things we can do now. Or maybe that's my dorky side.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've just started the process of laser removal on a tattoo I had 25 years ago. Some of the outline was beginning to look out of shape so I decided it was time to do something. Initially I attempted to have it relined and adding some new background but I wasn't happy with the results so I booked into a Laser clinic. I've had one session so far with a ND Yag Laser. The clinic want me to wait 8 weeks in between sessions. There is tattoo studio local that offers laser sessions every 4 weeks but I'm unsure on the type of laser they use, would that make a difference ?? 

I've read mixed reviews on aftercare and time periods in between sessions.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 5:58 PM, Mike Panic said:

Found this explainer video that really accurately shows what happens during tattoo removal... worth the 85 seconds if you're interested http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-during-laser-tattoo-removal-2016-5

What's not covered though is that ink is not regulated, by anyone, and the application of tattoos is violent and can cause scar tissue.  If the pigment becomes encapsulated with scar tissue from the tattooing process, it's very hard to remove it.  Pigment colors, location on the body, lining vs. shading, age of both the tattoo and the person wearing it and overall immune system health are also variables in how successful each tattoo removal appointment are. 

Have questions about anything, leave a comment. 

@Stu It is almost always suggested to wait longer between treatments.  I'd personally choose the facility that has proven results, with lots of progress / completion photos.  It's one thing to talk about the machine and the waiting time, ask to see results.  They are what matter. 

For aftercare, I'm sorry but I won't discuss it with anyone but clients treatment in my office, for liability reasons. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Completely? Doubtful. Enough for a cover-up? Expensive but possible. If it is a problem with it showing at work or such, they make pretty good, comfortable sleeves that will cover. If it is a problem with you not liking it, I feel ya. I had one (B&G so easier to lighten) on my forearm that I had lightened enough for correction (not a blast-over, but one to correct serious problems with the original). Still cost me of $1k just for laser work. Also, there can be scaring. Luckily, mine was in the form of pigment loss and slight keloid that just made to correction look better.