Standard Shop Rate vs. Artist Rate

I don't see what the problem is with asking an approximate cost. Tattoo artists provide a service and there is nothing wrong to ask what he or she would charge for a tattoo. Not for shopping around purposes because you go to a tattoo artist for his/her skill and not based on a price. I always ask my tattoo artist how many hours he estimates the tattoo will take. It's not written in stone but I like to know how much cash to bring.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw my artist about my next tattoo a week or so ago and I asked him what he thought the approximate cost would be so I know how much money I need to save. So in that I don't agree with "if you have to ask you can't afford it" because yeah, maybe you can't afford it that day, but in a month you'll have the money. Nowhere in the shop is there an hourly rate, just that the shop minimum is $75, so I don't even know how the other artists in the shop charge. There are 3 others, I've met 1 of them, but I've only been tattooed by this one artist.

Either I'm not understanding this or this shop has some weird practices. You were put on a waitlist and you were going to be just assigned a random artist? I haven't done a walk in (yet, about to try this weekend!) but first of all, I wouldn't do one for a shop where I didn't like every artist. You never know who might be busy that day, and I want to be happy with whoever I get so I don't waste my time going there. And if you wanted a certain artist, I'm not understanding why you didn't just make an appointment with that person? I don't think you were wrong to walk out, but I just don't really understand what was happening here.

Also, even if you got the apprentice, any tattooing apprentice worth his salt should be able to do simple Sailor Jerry filler. I'd be concerned if he couldn't and would question the judgment of everyone in that shop who thinks he's ready to tattoo. As for price, it costs what it costs. If you want someone to do it bad enough, you'll pay what they want for it. In the end, and especially if you have several tattoos, an extra $100 or so is chump change. It's not even really worth the haggling.