New tattoo and water resistant techniques

GlaryMilberg

Hey all, sorry in advance if I'm missing a previous thread. My shin was tattooed last week on Wednesday and I might go white water rafting this Sunday (11 days later).  I usually heal quick but this is cutting it close.  I'm wondering if it makes sense to try and cover my tattoo while rafting?  Are there any tricks or tips to keeping tattoo's more dry, other than not exposing them to water?  

12 hours ago, GlaryMilberg said:

Hey all, sorry in advance if I'm missing a previous thread. My shin was tattooed last week on Wednesday and I might go white water rafting this Sunday (11 days later).  I usually heal quick but this is cutting it close.  I'm wondering if it makes sense to try and cover my tattoo while rafting?  Are there any tricks or tips to keeping tattoo's more dry, other than not exposing them to water?  

@GlaryMilberg i get the concerns - i have had some tattoos that have healed so well and so quickly that 11 days later i would have no concerns - then again - i have tattoos that have scabbed up pretty well and then i might be concerned about the effects of getting it soaked so early on -  lower leg tattoos have typically been slow healers for me too - i'm curious what some others might advise - and of course you could always 'suit up' as @Graeme advises :)

6 hours ago, marley mission said:

@GlaryMilberg i get the concerns - i have had some tattoos that have healed so well and so quickly that 11 days later i would have no concerns - then again - i have tattoos that have scabbed up pretty well and then i might be concerned about the effects of getting it soaked so early on -  lower leg tattoos have typically been slow healers for me too - i'm curious what some others might advise - and of course you could always 'suit up' as @Graeme advises :)

I'll definitely consider an ancient scuba suit; the rafting guides will get a kick out of it.  I was thinking about putting some Saniderm on it, to be honest.  It's already looking great 5 days in but I'll play it by ear.   Thanks for the thoughts.  

If you have scabs, then they will become soft in the water and that make them really prone to getting scraped off. If you don't have scabs then you will probably be fine. I've taken my tattoos into the ocean after 7 days without worrying a bit about it cause of their healed state.

I would have suggested the derm route as well, at least if you'd put it on at the beginning. But I'm not sure what happens when you start using it on top of scabs for instance, as the healing process with derm is a little different AFAIK and scabs don't occur.

How about wrapping the tattoo with some good old saran wrap just for the time you're in the water?