Road blocks ??

So I was wondering if anyone here had trouble with road blocks, for lack of better term, when it came to nutting out a tattoo and getting it done. 

For years I have planned to get my thighs started. Years. 

Anytime I had a day off to go and make a start, I had no funds.

Anytime it looked like I had the money, something crapped it on us and so I had to spend money on that.

Or I simply couldn't get to town (one car and husband works in another town in the opposite direction ) because I didnt have the car.

It just always seemed like bad timing.

Ffw to this year and I was looking at a different tattoo shop, again same road blocks. 

In the end I decided screw it, I will just give up on the idea of legs for now.

In the years I have intended to do the leg thing, I ended up with one on outter forearm last may and then my sternum last weekend. 

The next tattooI am getting is on my arm and I am now just focusing on arms. (have already had a chat to the tattooist about it so just have to call back in the next week or so with reference material)

Anyway, so the point of all this dribble... have any of you had issues like that? Had a tattoo design in mind or a placement even, and then for what ever reason, despite your best efforts... its just not gone ahead???

The silver lining has been that I have in fact found a place I feel much more confident in so it does feel somewhat worth it. 

Maybe I am alone in this sort of frustration and its just been smooth sailing for the rest of you  ? 

Either way I was curious  :)

Lately my biggest issue is with ideas. I have tons of vague ideas (a dagger! more animals!, etc) but I have a hard time narrowing down what exactly I want the tattoo to look like, who I want to do it, and where it should go. I've been debating the same pieces forever it seems like, I just can't make up my mind about specifics.

43 minutes ago, Synesthesia said:

Lately my biggest issue is with ideas. I have tons of vague ideas (a dagger! more animals!, etc) but I have a hard time narrowing down what exactly I want the tattoo to look like, who I want to do it, and where it should go. I've been debating the same pieces forever it seems like, I just can't make up my mind about specifics.

My tattoos that like the best are the ones where I gave the vaguest ideas to my tattooer! I'd say don't worry so much about the specifics of the art - but it's your tattoo so whatever it takes for you to love it, go for it.
Who the tattooer should be and where on your body they go are both pretty important though :) 

@Dan waiting can suck ;) have you been on quite long waiting lists? I've not experienced that yet, I am pretty certain I would drive myself insane with the anticipation and excitement.

@Synesthesia , it can be tricky working out what to get can't it! Hey why not go for the whole dagger through the animal... two birds one stone ;)

have to agree with @Shaun1105 though, this last tattoo I gave a general idea and let him design it how he wanted and have to say it was the best outcome. I am sticking to that approach :)

@otisc !!! Looks like you will need another project to keep you occupied !

@bongsau I am hoping that I get the same result by the time I do start my thighs :) It does reassure me, reading that's how it went for you with your back! (off to stalk and see if I can find a photo of your back now :)  )

52 minutes ago, InkedMumma said:

@Dan waiting can suck ;) have you been on quite long waiting lists? I've not experienced that yet, I am pretty certain I would drive myself insane with the anticipation and excitement.

@Synesthesia , it can be tricky working out what to get can't it! Hey why not go for the whole dagger through the animal... two birds one stone ;)

have to agree with @Shaun1105 though, this last tattoo I gave a general idea and let him design it how he wanted and have to say it was the best outcome. I am sticking to that approach :)

@otisc !!! Looks like you will need another project to keep you occupied !

@bongsau I am hoping that I get the same result by the time I do start my thighs :) It does reassure me, reading that's how it went for you with your back! (off to stalk and see if I can find a photo of your back now :)  )

yes,I have waited a year before,and I am not a patient person ! LOL

2 hours ago, InkedMumma said:

@Synesthesia , it can be tricky working out what to get can't it! Hey why not go for the whole dagger through the animal... two birds one stone ;)

Haha, true. I think part of my problem is I'm itching to go down to my forearms but I want to make 100% sure I love what I put there, so I'm second guessing myself a lot. Maybe I'll just give up my forearms for now since the pressure to "get it right" seems to be holding me back everywhere else.

@Synesthesia , yeah sometimes that's the best thing to do. With all the stuff arsing around with my thighs I just went "Fine. I give up!" Lol and will go back to them later.

Maybe once that pressure is off and you start on other projects too it might just come together much easier too. Good luck!

My first and current roadblock is deciding what to do about a tattoo that I started, but didn't finish.  I had a disagreement with the artist and the shop owner and won't be returning to them.  I'm wavering between getting laser removal or letting another artist finish it.  I'm trying to give myself some time to make the decision, but I hate having an unfinished tattoo.

• 1 month later...

I consider the roadblocks you describe @InkedMumma to be subtle nudges from the universe that more patience is required. I always accept such delays because I feel they are significant to the tattoo journey, as it were. I have had them (recently waited 4 mos for appt and 2 days prior artist was very ill and had to reschedule everyone, pushing me out another 3 weeks. Aaaaarrrrgh!)

I took this to mean that it just wasn't the time. I am not a bit patient, but this "hobby" of mine is teaching me about it

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled on this thread. My roadblock is mental. I’ve spent literally decades (I’m in my 60s) debating whether to get a back piece and half sleeves, and finally decided to do it. I’ve selected placement so it could be covered in work and social situations, so very few people would ever see it. The only people who would ever see it would be my wife, and my best friend who I have known since childhood, and with whom I take occasional road trips, and we share a room. My wife needed to be on board for obvious reasons, but I felt that I needed to tell my friend so he wouldn’t have a heart attack when he sees me without a shirt in a hotel room. 

My wife was rather shocked about the size, but she is fine with it. But I can’t bring myself to tell my best friend. I’m afraid of his reaction. I have occasionally heard him say critical things about tattoos, and I don’t want hime to think badly of me. I know this is totally irrational. He has known me for life, and has supported me through thick and thin, but I just can’t bring myself to tell him. 

So that is my roadblock.

@Intomyskin - I know that issue to some degree. One of the things that kept me from getting my first tattoo was what others would think. In both my former and current positions (senior Army officer and College President), tattoos are not the norm. I know of few Army officers of my generation and no College Presidents who are inked. Finally, though, generally based on my 9/11 experiences and then reinforced by the deaths of people both younger and slightly older than me I decided that what others felt is not important to me now. People who know me well, my family and friends, know who I am. Anyone swayed by a tattoo to think less of me isn't worth my time. So, I dress conservatively at work as I normally do. But, I don't hesitate to wear sleeveless shirts in public. Maybe I can be the trendsetter for College Presidents to get inked!!  :1_grinning:

@Devious6: The "I'm not getting any younger" philosophy is driving me too. I've just got to get past this obstacle of telling my best friend. rationally, I can't imagine that he would totally dismiss me from his life if I get tattooed. He is like a brother to me. But it is a big, HUGE step for me, and perhaps I'm still having reservations and they are playing out through my friend.

I hope you do become a trendsetter for college presidents! I really like it when I meet or see somebody with a tattoo who I would never expect to have one (like a college president:10_wink:). It makes me think, "Now there is an interesting person."

Edited by Intomyskin

@Intomyskin I can certainly understand your feelings. It's easy for others to say "get over it." In the end, it is a very personal decision and what works or worked for me - or others - isn't really germane to you and your situation. I happen to be one who does worry about what my wife thinks about getting tattooed. She was supportive but I don't think I'd have gone ahead with it if she wasn't. I will make sure she is comfortable with my next, too. Our relationship is the most important thing in my life so I take stock in her feelings. Again, though, that's just me. Others don't feel that way....and that's OK. You'll figure this out and you'll do the right thing. 

I'm planning my next for September 10th - would do it on the 11th because of the relevance to the work I'm having done but my artist doesn't work on Sundays. 1 month today!