Woman head in spider web design

Mine might be a stupid question,

But I'm getting in less then a month an old school woman head surrounded by a spiderweb and a spider on my leg. I know this is a classic tattoo, but I'm wondering who created it first and where could I find example of it? I tried to look up for old school woman + spider web but couldn't find similar examples, all I found was a spider with a woman-head. Do you have any example of this design? thanks.

so you have an artist to do this work ? sounds like you have an appointment already ?  doesn't the artist have a drawing for you to approve of the tattoo you are getting in less than a month ?  or,uh,what am I missing here ?

Edited by Dan

I already have the appoinment and he did a quick sketch on paper just to see the size and the general composition, I already discussed with him the tattoo. Mine is more a cultural reference: who invented this design and where could I find images of this design. The only image similar to this is a tattoo I found by Olivia Dawn.

3 minutes ago, oboogie said:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fphoto.php%3Ffbid%3D1071258166263983%26set%3Da.1022439551145845.1073741826.100001394307876%26type%3D3&width=500" width="500" height="503" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Yes, I was looking for something like this, I will add the spider hanging from the spiderweb and two flowers to balance the composition and make it look a little bit less, let's say "creepy". I'm really looking forward to this!

24 minutes ago, jadore said:

I already have the appoinment and he did a quick sketch on paper just to see the size and the general composition, I already discussed with him the tattoo. Mine is more a cultural reference: who invented this design and where could I find images of this design. The only image similar to this is a tattoo I found by Olivia Dawn.

well I don't think you will find a "cultural reference: who invented this design" of it,the only thing I think you will find is examples of what other artists have drawn up & done in a tattoo,I don't think there is a "cultural reference",that's like asking for a "cultural reference" of a swallow or anchor tattoo,it's just art IMO.

Edited by Dan

2 minutes ago, jadore said:

Yes, I was looking for something like this, I will add the spider hanging from the spiderweb and two flowers to balance the composition and make it look a little bit less, let's say "creepy". I'm really looking forward to this!

Be sure to post photos! :-)

He was doing a book of flash with the cartoon artist who does Please Keep Warm. My Prison Tat Jesus was part of the same series.

large.gallery_66752_30_1461690285_19398.jpg

13 hours ago, Dan said:

well I don't think you will find a "cultural reference: who invented this design" of it,the only thing I think you will find is examples of what other artists have drawn up & done in a tattoo,I don't think there is a "cultural reference",that's like asking for a "cultural reference" of a swallow or anchor tattoo,it's just art IMO.

Yeah, I know I can't find a cultural reference, but I was meaning, do you know if one of the famous old school tattoo masters have this particular design in their flash sheets? Like let's say if you see some design you can tell is from Sailor Jerry or Amund Dietzel, I was asking if in this sense, this design can be attributed to someone in particular!

On 6/3/2016 at 6:41 PM, Dan said:

so you have an artist to do this work ? sounds like you have an appointment already ?  doesn't the artist have a drawing for you to approve of the tattoo you are getting in less than a month ?  or,uh,what am I missing here ?

It's not uncommon to show up on the day of and not know what you're getting.

• 3 weeks later...

The classic girl head / web images were surely inspired by the circus sideshow spider ladies? Here.  I don't know who drew the first flash though, or when. It's often not possible to track these things right back.

But, you can see ladies / cherubs (not sure which) on web, although not enclosed by it, on the feet and ankles of Stella Grassman. All her work was done by her husband Deafy. Photo is from the 1920s. 

pictures-125-spooky-circus-04_72999_990x

If you're after something a little less 'dark' than variations on the classic design  often are, and are wanting to add flowers too, you might want to consider something along the lines of this lovely by Virginia Elwood.  Ladyroses are a classic in themselves, of course, the combination of the two works really well, I think. 

IMG_0194.jpg?format=500w

That said. I prefer to hand over a bit of reference and let my tattooer get on with the drawing, rather than give too much specific direction about composition though. Am not a fan of giving other tattooers work as reference, but I can see why you want to. Have you had your consultation yet? 

Never had drawings in advance of the day myself either, BTW. He'd be happy to make changes if it wasn't 'right', for sure. Hasn't be necessary yet mind.

In other news, this, is image absolutely dying to be turned into a tattoo. 

?id=825053&t=W

(from either Punch, or the London Charivari, November 1867)

Edit - Agree that it's not a stupid question, @jadore. Not at all.

Edited by HettyKet