First Tattoo & First Post!

rayray115

Hello everyone, hopefully this is my first of many posts.  I've been reading forums on here for months and I've learned so much.  Anyways, in about two months I turn 18 and I plan on getting my first tattoo.  I've gone in for a consultation and have been emailing the artist back and forth. (The artist is KiKU)  All I have to do is set an actual date for my first session, which will happen within the next week.  I plan on getting a half sleeve with cherry blossoms and a koi, I couldn't be more excited.  I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of videos on Irezumi, read articles, seen documentaries , etc.  I really want to make sure I'm committed to getting this tattoo.  I've been planning and saving up for the past 8 months and as my birthday gets closer and closer I'm starting to doubt myself.  I'm afraid I'm going to regret it because you always hear stories of people regretting the tattoos they got when they were 18.  I feel like my situation is a little bit different because many of those stories are people getting tattoos without really thinking about it.  I guess this post is just so I could hear some other peoples opinions whom I know are educated and experienced when it comes to tattoos.  Any advice or sharing your own personal experience would be great.  Thanks guys!

Welcome, @rayray115!

That sounds like a solid, classic tattoo, and I congratulate you on your good taste. I don't think you'll regret it, but there's no way to know that for sure. I thought I knew everything when I was 18. I do wonder what kind of shit tattoo I'd have chosen had I been interested in tattoos back then.

Sounds like you've been planning and saving for a long time. Getting a half sleeve for your first tattoo is a big step, but only you can decide. Good luck!

That sounds like a great choice of artist and subject.  It's normal to be apprehensive--I get the jitters every time I make an appointment.  I haven't been lucky enough to see any of them in person--there was discussion on here about seeing a backpiece of his at a convention and being blown away by it--but based on pictures and videos and stuff, I absolutely love Kiku's tattoos.  You've saved up and you'll be able to cover your first tattoo pretty easily.  I'm hardly an authority and am admittedly biased because I want to get tattooed by Kiku someday, but it sounds like you've got this.

Edited by polliwog

Kiku at Invisible NYC? You won't be disappointed. His work is so beautiful and distinctly Kiku. Bold, simple, stellar line work. The shop has a great vibe! Make sure to bring some candy (or sugar of your choice) to munch on/drink after an hour or so. Your adrenaline will most likely crash because you're so excited. :) Enjoy the process!!! @rayray115

11 hours ago, rayray115 said:

I guess this post is just so I could hear some other peoples opinions whom I know are educated and experienced when it comes to tattoos.  Any advice or sharing your own personal experience would be great.  Thanks guys!

Hey there, I want to say for your first tattoo you are 100% going in the right direction.  I have zero interest in getting tattooed by Kiku, but his work is damn good.  You will not be disappointed at all and he is super nice to his clients.  I was getting tattooed at Invisible and he had a customer.  Very awesome dude and the shop in itself has GREAT vibes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it because your are aiming to the top for your first.  At this time there is a wealth of information via magazine and instagram.  You made a good choice, don't get cold feet.  I kept getting cold feet for over 10 years.  Stick with it, you're good man.

12 hours ago, polliwog said:

That sounds like a great choice of artist and subject.  It's normal to be apprehensive--I get the jitters every time I make an appointment.  I haven't been lucky enough to see any of them in person--there was discussion on here about seeing a backpiece of his at a convention and being blown away by it--but based on pictures and videos and stuff, I absolutely love Kiku's tattoos.  You've saved up and you'll be able to cover your first tattoo pretty easily.  I'm hardly an authority and am admittedly biased because I want to get tattooed by Kiku someday, but it sounds like you've got this.

That may have been me.  It was actually at Saved in NYC and there was a woman there wearing a top with a low cut back and she had a Kiku backpiece that was incredible.  I want to say it was of Kannon, but it may have been of another goddess. Anyway, that back was super influential in making me go huge and bold on my own back. 

As as far as regret goes, it can be complicated, but koi and cherry blossoms is a timeless design, you want a great size and placement for it, and you're going to a world-class artist for it.  I'd say you're as good as you can be.

Hey all!! Thanks for the awesome feedback!! Its great to hear peoples opinions that are actually tattooed, especially because the only people I have talked to about it don't have any ink.  I just emailed KiKU about a date for my first session and I couldn't be happier!  Once again thanks everyone, I assume I'll be talking to you guys again somewhere on the forums.:11_blush:

I'll go against everyone here and say that if you aren't comfortable with the idea of getting a tattoo, hold it off for a while. Your skin will still be there, the artist will probably only be better at their medium and you might even get some interest of your savings..

I don't think that you'll regret your tattoo, the artist is great and it's a very classic Japanese design. What people regret is lame moto text, turd birds, upside-down tattoos, whatever springbreak tattoo and dagger handles that poke out of your neckline that looks like a dickhead.

The tattoo I got when I was 17 was a small design on my ankle from a biker named Rocky - 25 years later it's fuzzy, dated and unrecognisable but I still don't regret it. Nervous is natural (I get nervous every time and have a holy crap what did I do moment after) but your choice of design is great and you're doing it right.