Hello

kitti

Hi everyone, i'm Kitti from London. 

I've just booked in for a new tattoo in July so have been lurking and finding great suggestions here. Currently I have 3 tattoos, 2 very small bits and 1 hand-poked piece on my back by Grace Neutral I got in January. 

I'm planning on sticking with Geometric and dot work on my back (some great artists in London for that) but am interested in having slightly different style work on my ribs (Thinking of flowers possibly). How have you managed to get work in different styles without it looking messy / jarring? Its important to me everything kind of works together cohesively.

IMAG4257.jpg

Edited by kitti

50 minutes ago, kitti said:

How have you managed to get work in different styles without it looking messy / jarring? Its important to me everything kind of works together cohesively.

Welcome Kitti!  My advice to the above question is to get high quality tattoos from good artists.  Thomas Hooper did one of my arms and my back is Japanese and I think it looks great together.  I don't have many good pictures of how they work together, though parts of my back were designed to tie together with my arm--there's a continuity between the water on my arm and the water on my back, for instance--but this gives you an idea:

14ctabd.jpg

welcome @kitti your grace neutral piece is cool, i like the honesty behind what she's saying and doing. 

i've got a lot of mileage from 15 different tattooers to date. some traditional, some japanese style, some bright and colourful, some black n grey, some shitty, some old, some new, some weird. I think the individual and how they carry/wear the tattoo is an important aspect of making tattoo cohesive (subject matter and beyond). we are the tattoos. obviously there are technical things that skilled tattooers will do to tie multiple tattoo borders together or you can just fill in gaps, tile in tattoos, overlap, blast. some folks want that hyper-cohesive singular tattoo coverage look which is ok too. the point is it's up to you how you define cohesive. my tattoo experience is an on ongoing project and will end when I die, that's what makes it cohesive for me...not to get too faaar out and philosophical haha

...and flowers (in any style) make an excellent tattoo subject and go with everything !

i love the mash up of styles on a body

nothing against those who go for the full back piece or bodysuits

but for me - i just love the mix of styles and content

after you get enough tattoos on ya - it really doesnt matter what you get imo

that said - it helps if you're getting tattooed by solid tattooers

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I'll do as suggested and just try and go with solid work and deal with each tattoo border as it evolves. I have far too many artists i'd like work from to go for a full back piece as beautiful as I think they are :)

Edited by kitti

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

It's an electric snake.  One of the things that I love about Dave's tattoos is that when he does Japanese there's always this influence of skate graphics there.  The blue in the snake is intense too.

Best unintentional thread hijack in quite a while. Keep up the good work fellas :)