Travelling and tattoos (how to get the most out of your trip)

Iwar

I am sitting here trying to figure out the best way to arrange a trip to SF later this year (hopefully) solely to get tattooed.

It's just that while visiting I want to make the most of it and hopefully get tattooed by a few artists during my stay. What concerns me is that probably most of the artists that I would like to get tattooed by have long waiting lists. If I'm going to pull through financially I have to book a fairly reasonable flight a few months in advance, and maybe stay for a week or so.

So, to the artists here;

How do you prefer to make arrangements with clients travelling from abroad to get tattooed by you? I'm assuming that you require a deposit, but do you usually find room in your schedule if you're approached by travelling clients with a few months notice, or do they just have to get on the waitinglist and get the date they're given like everyone else?

I guess this is a very broad question that probably varies from artist to artist. I'm just having kind of a hard time figuring how to go about planning a trip like this.

Any enthusiasts here have any input and/or experience on travelling somewhere to get tattooed by several artists in the same area?

I'm a newbie when it comes to this so any tips/pointers/help is greatly appreciated!

If I were you I would wait until the San Jose Convention. It is a good way to skip waiting lists, and you can throw in some tattooers from other parts of the country and world. I would not recommend this for bigger pieces, but it is a good for smaller to mid-size stuff. You should probably contact the artists you want in advance. Some will be doing appointments and some will be doing walk-ups.

If I were you I would wait until the San Jose Convention. It is a good way to skip waiting lists, and you can throw in some tattooers from other parts of the country and world. I would not recommend this for bigger pieces, but it is a good for smaller to mid-size stuff. You should probably contact the artists you want in advance. Some will be doing appointments and some will be doing walk-ups.

this is what i did.. san jose convention probably have one of the best line up of artists i have seen.

i also e-mailed a bunch of the artists in SF and explained my situation and most of them were able to work something out..

but i also just walked in to black heart and got tattooed by scott 2 days later..

i had one appointment booked from before so i tried to get everything else booked around that..

i was a bit lucky and managed to get 3 artist in 3 days..

but after 3 full days in a row of getting tattoed i was pretty tired to say the least hehe

but fuck it was worth it..

im going back early next year.. first Tempe then SF and then over to NY.

trying to get all done in a month ore so.

i think that u should get an appointment with someone u know have a long waiting list and then build your other appionments around that date. and if u can,try to get them close to the convention..

and as always at conventions u should come early first day and book the all the ones u want before u start getting tattoed.

in SF u should probably stay in the mission district... close to most of the shops and the best bars and people.. :)

which artists are u planning to get tattoos from?

I thought the same thing about my trip to SF this summer and getting tattooed by Cris Cleen, so emailed him and spoke with him at the Star of Texas Tattoo Convention. His wait list wasn't months out, but it might be different for other artists; I heard Grime has a crazy wait list.

Yeah, I'd love to get something from Barton or Cerro. Fortunately the guys at O'Reilly's visit Norway from time to time, so I might just get something when they're doing a guestspot here instead.

I sent Grime an email a couple days ago regarding appointment in September. If all goes well and he's able to squeeze me into his schedule I'm booking the flight. Fingers crossed!