Color loss?

Bmore

So I got this awesome tattoo a couple years ago at the Baltimore tattoo convention; believe I posted it in the latest tattoo lowdown thread.

Some time after it healed, I noticed something unfortunate. I don't remember it healing this way, and I'm not sure what I might've done wrong, but it's been this way for a while now. Notice the milky whiteness where there should be black above the upper teeth in the skull, continuing up the left side in the feathers of the eagle.

b472889691d750aace025a9bf0c36f07.jpg

Anybody seen this before? Unfortunately, the guy who tattooed me lives states away and so isn't easily accessible. Hopefully I'll be getting a new tattoo soon and can ask another artist, but idk when that might be.

I'd kinda like to get it touched up, but I know it's not always that easy, not to mention idk when the guy who did this one will be back in the area, if ever.

I've never had an issue like this with any of my other tattoos, and I'm not entirely sure what might've caused this. A couple months after getting it I was at the beach lathering up in sun block and relaxing under the rays, for whatever that's worth.

Ultimately, I still like this tattoo and can live with the imperfection, but I'd prefer getting it touched up. What I don't want to do is spend mine/someone else's time and effort only to make things worse or end up with the same effect.

I appreciate any of you fine folks who might be able to share a similar experience, or advice, or just tell me to suck it up.

Tattoos age, just like you and your skin. It will never look like the day you got it, it will only get "worse"- or lived in.

That being said, it looks like the teeth part is from scarring, but it still looks like a cool tattoo, I'd leave it.

I don't think the sun did this. Then I'd basically would have to redo all my tattoos each year cause I spend quite a bit of time outside with no shirt on.

Looks to me like it scabbed up while healing and pulled some of the ink out.  It happens, I have tattoos that have bits like that.  Honestly, I wouldn't bother getting it touched up.  I see what you're talking about but it doesn't compromise the tattoo at all.  I'd also think that getting it touched up a couple of years after you got it maybe isn't a great idea but talk with an artist about that.

It's barely visible, but FWIW I have a couple similar small milky spots in my eagle, in the black shading. The whole thing raises up sometimes when it's hot so I'm guessing it's just scar tissue. It definitely looks different from areas in a different tattoo that scabbed and lost ink. I agree with everyone else that it isn't noticeable in yours.