New tattoo and holiday

Tatgirl97

OK So i have booked in to get a tattoo on my inner forearm this Saturday. However I have decided today that I am going to join my friends on their holiday which is only 10 days after.

All 12 of my leg tattoos have healed within the first 10 days and I've had no problem with bathing them, one on my shin I went on holiday 15 day after and was fine however I never swam.

Needing some advice on whether i will need to cancel this appointment or if there is any ways that I could still have the best of both ways ? Anyone been on holiday soon after getting a tattoo or is it too risky? I won't be swimming until at least 11 / 12 days after wards of getting it...

Could I put clingfilm over it for when I am swimming and then just cover it when sunbathing with a towel?

Thankssss X

I'd wait at least three weeks and ideally a month before swimming. Depends how fast it heals really. It's your tattoo but a few days of fun in the sun is not worth it to me for something I plan to keep on my skin for a lifetime. Believe me I've been that guy on the lounge chair in a long sleeved shirt watching everyone else having fun in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swam about 12 days after an arm tattoo and did lose a little color where there were still scabs. If you're planning on being near the beach at all, I'm a big fan of UPF rated rash guards-- you wouldn't want to get sunscreen near a tattoo that fresh, I'd think .

Edited by polliwog

My recent lower leg tattoo healed a lot faster than both my inner forearms for some reason. That said, providing that you can protect the tattoo from the sun I see no reason to turn down a holiday :). You could see if you can find some Tegaderm or Saniderm film to cover it while swimming just to be safe? It will be much more secure and comfortable than normal cling film. Not sure where you are from, but I just marched into a farmacy and ordered a small roll of Tegaderm that came in in about 2-3 days - I had never seen it for sale anywhere locally here in Italy, and they had no idea what I was talking about initially, but were able to look it up on the computer based on the manufacturer (3M) and the name of the product (I think it came up as "Tegaderm roll"). 

5 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

I buy the 8x10 sheets then cut them to size. I'm very curious about a roll of Tegaderm. @Kurgana

The reason why I went for the roll is that the larger sheets of Tegaderm don't seem to be available over here. Could have ordered them online & would have saved some money but with the postage from abroad the difference wasn't huge (I paid around 15 euros for a 10cmx2m roll). Here's a link to the 3M website: http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Tegaderm-Transparent-Film-Roll?N=5002385+8707795+8707798+8710678+8710820+8711017+8717839+3293321954&rt=rud

Something you should be aware of is that the roll version is not and cannot be sold/classed as sterile since it's not packaged in the sealed pouch/envelope thingies the sheets are. However, many tattoo artists use 'derm rolls (Saniderm also comes in rolls, not sure if there are others) so it's good enough for me, provided that it is stored and handled properly.