Hello! Getting my first tattoo JUNE 30TH! i need some advice!

irishowl

Hey all!

My name is Kate, and I am 19 years old. I'm getting my first tattoo in a few weeks. I need some advice/help. I like this design, but does anyone else? my family and friends say they like it, but I just want to be extra, EXTRA sure so I can change it if need be! 

The quote is from the show Sherlock, on the BBC. It's a mantra of mine that I use to help me calm down when I am going through times of trouble. I used to have very bad depression and suicidal tendencies, but this quote is really what saved me. I want it to be a part of me so that I remember that every time I go through something hard in my life, I just have to remember that it's a part of life, bad stuff is going to happen, you have to face it, not fear it. The full quote is "Pain. Loss. Heartbreak. You always feel it, but you don't have to fear it." But I shortened it for..obvious reasons! It gives me strength and It's been with me for a long time. Also, I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan from a young age, so it's a plus!

What do you think? 

2278fc1f-c8b1-4a65-b944-5d2de1ac7a22.jpg

It's too small, and it needs a comma. And I'd go bigger and not use a crown. What does the crown have to do with it? A deerstalker would make a lot more sense. I don't love it, and I love Sherlock, too. But if you love it, I guess that's all that matters.

Funny thing about that!  I love the Sherlock Holmes series,  but Sherlock isn't the character I love the most.  It's the antagonist,  Professor Moriarty, he is known as the king of crime,  and in the show relates to the crown as well(I've always had my heart for him and his right hand Man!).  I agree it is a bit too small,  but I don't think I'd go any bigger since I don't want it to completely cover my forearm.  I tried different font styles and sizes and this one seemed to be the best.  But,  you're right with the comma,  I have to add that. 

Personally, I would never, ever get this. It's on the forearm, which is a highly visible place and prime real estate for tattoos. I'd rather put an awesome picture in that spot and not sideways lettering, and certainly not that cursive style of lettering. It's hard to read and it isn't going to age well as is because of its size combined with the fact it's in a highly visible spot (sun exposure).

My first line of advice is to get a picture of some sort instead of words. They generally age better and they have more "impact" as something recognizable (no strangers squinting at your arm and asking what it says constantly). Is there a scene of the show you like? A motif of some kind you can reference? Someone on it you'd like to get a portrait of? Even if you could pair this quote in a banner with a picture of something would be an improvement, imo.

I doubt you'll change your mind so my next line of advice: make everything bigger and make sure it has easy to read composition. You may have to change the placement of it if you aren't comfortable going big, although bigger is always better for tattoos. 

Like I said, I would never consider something like this, but different types of tattoos appeal to different people. If I had things my way, everyone would get panthers and daggers. :8_laughing: If you're dead set on a lettering tattoo, just make sure you change the font and size if only so it doesn't all blur together in a few years.

@irishowl to be EXTRA sure I'll ask strangers on the internet

can i just direct you to our coverup threads now

dont get this tattoo

too small

bad placement

etc

you obviously have the itch

so stick around - stay on the latest lowdown thread and check out some cool tattoos and get your bearings on finding a good artist to help you with your ideas 

also not a fan of first tattoo on the forearm

First thought was that the crown makes it look a little like the Keep Calm and Carry On thing that was everywhere a couple years ago.  You should consider whether you want your tattoo to evoke that.  Other than that, I'm not an artist and it feels weird to give design advice to someone I don't know...

Edited by polliwog

The artist I am going to is very well known. He said that he was going to help me with the design tomorrow. I will most likely go bigger, but not change the placement ( I want it to be somewhere I can read/see) At first I was going to get this design (See first Image) But was told it wouldn't look good on my forearm as it was going to be facing me, also, I changed the crown because that one looked a bit too 'princess' like. But now I have since fallen in love with this (Second image). If I get my saying on that design with perhaps the crown above it, would it look better? 

Tattoo.png

forearm-tattoos-06.jpg

Your artist being well known doesn't necessarily mean anything. Jon Boy is well known but I wouldn't call him good by any means (https://www.instagram.com/jonboytattoo/).

Your artist probably told you that image wouldn't look good because you wanted it upside down. Tattoos should always look upside down to you when you look down at them, it's more aesthetically pleasing. Just for future reference.

I don't really understand what the crown is supposed to signify but I agree with the person who said it looked like the Keep Calm and Carry On logo. I think you'll have a lot of people just assuming that's what it means until they start twisting your arm and squinting at it to read it (and they will, people are grabby about lettering tattoos).

I think that banner design is better, all the black in the banner makes it a little bolder. But still, I wouldn't get it. Tattoos, imo, should speak for themselves and not have to be so wordy. A cool image will make you feel just as good about yourself as your mantra.

That's all just my opinion, sounds like you're pretty set...

Your artist being well known doesn't necessarily mean anything. Jon Boy is well known but I wouldn't call him good by any means (https://www.instagram.com/jonboytattoo/).

Your artist probably told you that image wouldn't look good because you wanted it upside down. Tattoos should always look upside down to you when you look down at them, it's more aesthetically pleasing. Just for future reference.

I don't really understand what the crown is supposed to signify but I agree with the person who said it looked like the Keep Calm and Carry On logo. I think you'll have a lot of people just assuming that's what it means until they start twisting your arm and squinting at it to read it (and they will, people are grabby about lettering tattoos).

I think that banner design is better, all the black in the banner makes it a little bolder. But still, I wouldn't get it. Tattoos, imo, should speak for themselves and not have to be so wordy. A cool image will make you feel just as good about yourself as your mantra.

That's all just my opinion, sounds like you're pretty set...

Never heard of him until I looked him up just now. It's like there's this parallel universe of famous tattooers who aren't good, and no good tattooer would take seriously. At least now I know where all that tiny shitty script comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you in or planning to travel to Canada in the next few years? Ill cover it up for ya with somethin nice once you hate it.. Will probably be half gone by then so bonus.. ?

In all seriousness, you must half some second thoughts if youre asking a big nch or strangers.. Take their advice they wont lie to be nice.. its your canvas & if you really wanna trash it before knowing anything about tattoos so be it.. But from an artist's perspective (&one who has their fair share of bad decisions permanently in the flesh) -at the VERY LEAST flip & stack the words horizontally, bold out & size up that font .. & move it down to your wrist on the inside or your foot!! .. Or do you, whatever..  ?

Listen to the critiques you've been given so far. No one is talking you out of getting what you want, only trying to help you get something better.

My other advice is, consider reading the quote out of context. Feel it, don't fear it. That sounds weird, and isn't really a complete sentence or idea on its own, which may or may not matter to you. You will likely have friends and family if not random strangers asking "feel what "? When you're in line at the grocery store. Some people look at tattoos like they are public works of art which can be uncomfortable and even more so when your tattoo doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to change the wording my next advice would be to change the orientation of the Crown, make it larger, and put the text maybe under or inside of a banner wrapped around the Crown, in a more legible way. Just some thoughts, I hope you get an awesome tattoo!

Sent from my Z755 using Tapatalk

It strikes me as quite a "teenage" tattoo and I'm not sure how you'll feel about it in a few years. I'd say you will be sick of people asking what it means, it definitely might be better to have it somewhere more hidden, so it's more personal for you. My boyfriend has a quote hidden under his armpit as part of a sleeve and even he gets annoyed with having to discuss it with every randomer at the pub!

Bottom line - you have to wear it, forever. There's a ton of wisdom in this thread by people who are very heavily tattooed, who know both the art as well as the technical aspects. Take your time and reflect on what has been said in this thread. There are good people giving you great advice - don't take it personally that feedback hasn't been overwhelmingly positive. Really think about the placement and placement. I'm the owner of a shitty wrist tattoo that I thought was awesome at the time. Now, I have to laser it and plan for a cover up!

Welcome to LST.  Above all else, YOU should be the one who likes your tattoo.  That being said, some very valid points have been made.  Consider finding an image that resonates with you, with our without the text.  I bet your artist could integrate that quote into a nice traditional piece that will not only look great, but still hold the personal meaning you're looking for.  Tattoos don't need to have a reality TV style "deep meaning," but that doesn't mean that sharing your feelings in a tattoo is necessarily bad.  I'd also reconsider placement in case of future tattoos...