Art Tattoo Montreal, September 9-11, 2016

The Montreal tattoo convention is coming up in September and it's always a fun time and an excellent opportunity to get a great tattoo.  The lineup is always incredible: this year's convention is going to feature, among others, Henning, Mike Rubendall, Guy Le Tattooer, Steve Byrne, Paul Dobleman, Bert Krak, Robert Ryan, Mario Desa, Nick Colella, Andre Malcolm, Ron Wells, Chad Koeplinger...and this is only scratching the surface.  There are so many good artists working it.  And if you needed any other incentive, if you've never been to Montreal, it's a great city to visit.  If you have been to Montreal, you're probably looking for a reason to visit again.  Lots of things to see and do, great architecture, world-class dining, and for you Americans, the Canadian dollar sucks right now so you can stretch your money.

Who is thinking of going?

Closer to the date I will plan some kind of LST meetup because it's always fun hanging out with the people from this forum.  You're a great bunch of people and it's always nice to meet up and talk tattoos and share our tattoos in real life.

http://news.arttattoomontreal.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Montreal-Art-Tattoo-Show-9786505473/
https://www.instagram.com/arttattoomontreal/

Edited by Graeme

3 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I'm planning on going. I couldn't tell from the website (though I didn't do a ton of digging) whether or not there was a hotel associated with the convention that offered a special rate. If not , I'd love to hear about where people have stayed in the past.

One year @BrianH stayed at a place that had a secret passage.  Like you pulled a book on a shelf and the passage opened. I say "had" because the place got rid of it, which is the dumbest business decision I've ever heard of because who doesn't want to stay at a place with a secret passage. 

so... say i decided to come to montreal for the convention

whats the 101 on it

-best to have an appt?

-some days better than others?

-good hotels / restaurants in the area?

looking at the lineup - whoah

so many tattooers i would love to get tattooed by

obviously a LST related gathering sounds fun too

hmmmm....

EDIT: I should mention too that I have never been tattooed at a convention - not so sure I would enjoy the big crowd aspect so much but who knows

Edited by marley mission

3 hours ago, marley mission said:

so... say i decided to come to montreal for the convention

whats the 101 on it

-best to have an appt?

-some days better than others?

-good hotels / restaurants in the area?

looking at the lineup - whoah

so many tattooers i would love to get tattooed by

obviously a LST related gathering sounds fun too

hmmmm....

EDIT: I should mention too that I have never been tattooed at a convention - not so sure I would enjoy the big crowd aspect so much but who knows

If you want to get tattooed by somebody specific, make an appointment, but there will always be opportunities to get a walk-up.  I wouldn't expect some local tattooers to be completely booked and there are a lot of tattooers here making quality tattoos: check out Arno Schultz, Nick Oaks, or Joel Marlo to name three.

In my experience the Friday is probably the best to get tattooed because it isn't as busy as the Saturday, but it's all good.  Honestly, I would rather get tattooed in a shop if there was the option, but this is an opportunity to get tattooed by people locally that I'd otherwise have to travel for, so it's fine.  It's cool getting to meet and talk to new people and there's a good energy at the convention.

There are so many good restaurants in Montreal.  It's an amazing food city.  If you want fine dining check out Park (I heard about this place when I got tattooed by Chad, he said it's the second best sushi he's had in his life, I don't have as much dining experience as him so it's the best I've had), Maison Publique, Joe Beef, or Au Pied de Cochon.  We also have smoked meat and the best bagels in the world.  Plenty of vegetarian and vegan options if you're into that too.  There are also some great public markets well worth checking out.  I know the food here better than I know the hotels but there is plenty of accommodation in the city.

Think about it!

@Graeme I definetly am - I have wanted to go to Montreal since I was a kid - grew up a Gary Carter fan and my parents had a trip planned for us to go see an Expos game, be tourists, etc - then...Carter gets traded and I also go to the Mets in the trade :) Trip cancelled

anyway - lots of good info in your post - I would guess I would make an appt and go from there 

btw - you scheduled for tattoos yet? You were trying for Rob last year right?

1 hour ago, marley mission said:

Yeah, I had an appointment with him that I had to cancel because my son decided to arrive into this world a few weeks early.  I don't have anything booked yet but I intend to try to get tattooed by him again and get something with good vibes.

2 hours ago, marley mission said:

@Graeme I definetly am - I have wanted to go to Montreal since I was a kid - grew up a Gary Carter fan and my parents had a trip planned for us to go see an Expos game, be tourists, etc - then...Carter gets traded and I also go to the Mets in the trade :) Trip cancelled

anyway - lots of good info in your post - I would guess I would make an appt and go from there 

MTL is an amazing city - I can't get there enough. 

10 hours ago, marley mission said:

5 hours ago, Graeme said:

In my experience the Friday is probably the best to get tattooed because it isn't as busy as the Saturday, but it's all good.  Honestly, I would rather get tattooed in a shop if there was the option, but this is an opportunity to get tattooed by people locally that I'd otherwise have to travel for, so it's fine.  It's cool getting to meet and talk to new people and there's a good energy at the convention.

The first time I went I had an appointment, last year I just went looking for a walk-up.  I agree with Graeme, at least on Friday night there were lots of amazing tattooers who were available (I ended up getting something from Jeb Riley).

For me, getting tattooed at a convention definitely sucks compared to a shop.  That said, you ARE getting a tattoo so it's still awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to go but it'll be a few years until I'm back in Montreal I'm afraid. If anyone needs a recommendation, I've just spent a couple of days at a super nice and pretty affordable AirBnb apartment over there. It wasn't quite central (Maybe that's why it was kinda cheap, but the place was quite new and rather posh) but 2 minutes walking distance to the metro station 'Du College'. 30 mins to central Montreal. Happy to sent info via PM. 

9 hours ago, omeletta said:

Would love to go but it'll be a few years until I'm back in Montreal I'm afraid. If anyone needs a recommendation, I've just spent a couple of days at a super nice and pretty affordable AirBnb apartment over there. It wasn't quite central (Maybe that's why it was kinda cheap, but the place was quite new and rather posh) but 2 minutes walking distance to the metro station 'Du College'. 30 mins to central Montreal. Happy to sent info via PM. 

Sorry you won't be there, but for everybody else, the convention venue is on the metro line so it's easily accessible from pretty much anywhere in the city via the metro so there's no need to stay super central as long as you're a reasonable distance from a metro station.