Sign in to follow this  
jordy

hey, what is your opinion about this tattoo?

Recommended Posts

Hey, I think the title says enough, so what is your opinion? I'm thinking about getting a tattoo like this with a few changes... I don't know what it is but I feel like there is something missing. So let me know, i'll be happy with some opinions :)

tattoo wallace .jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bongsau said:

quality !

quality in what way? I mean what could be done better?

 

 

Edited by jordy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Well, it's a small picture, but from what I can see...it's very flat and boring. It's lacking any kind of dynamic composition, it's pretty much just some hieroglyphics without any kind of shading to give it depth. I just googled Egyptian tattoos and this was one of the first hits I found. Notice how much more detailed and visually interesting it is. There's a lot cooler things you can do with an Egyptian theme. Where are you located? Maybe we can suggest some local artists.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea (my first tattoo was an ancient egyptian design) but the style of the sun isn't a traditional egyptian style - so it's jarring to me. Plus the sun is an egyptian god - Aten - so really if you're going to get the pharaoh and his wife (I think this is taken from Tutankhamun's funerary chair) it should be consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Synesthesia said:


Well, it's a small picture, but from what I can see...it's very flat and boring. It's lacking any kind of dynamic composition, it's pretty much just some hieroglyphics without any kind of shading to give it depth. I just googled Egyptian tattoos and this was one of the first hits I found. Notice how much more detailed and visually interesting it is. There's a lot cooler things you can do with an Egyptian theme. Where are you located? Maybe we can suggest some local artists.

 

oh wauw this one is amazing although it's a bit extreme for me and you're probably right with the 'flat and boring' thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jordy said:

oh wauw this one is amazing although it's a bit extreme for me and you're probably right with the 'flat and boring' thing.

ohh and I live in the netherlands so I probably have to find one myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jordy said:

oh wauw this one is amazing although it's a bit extreme for me and you're probably right with the 'flat and boring' thing.

Fair enough, just showing you the type of stuff that can be done! If you really want the hieroglyphic look, you can at least add some more shading/color or details to make it look less like just flat lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Synesthesia said:

Fair enough, just showing you the type of stuff that can be done! If you really want the hieroglyphic look, you can at least add some more shading/color or details to make it look less like just flat lines.

Thanks for the tip! If i go with this design i'll certainly do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, El Dolmago said:

I like the idea (my first tattoo was an ancient egyptian design) but the style of the sun isn't a traditional egyptian style - so it's jarring to me. Plus the sun is an egyptian god - Aten - so really if you're going to get the pharaoh and his wife (I think this is taken from Tutankhamun's funerary chair) it should be consistent.

alright, thanks for the heads-up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm in the Netherlands too, finding a good artist shouldn't be a problem. Not at all. Where are you based? Not that anywhere is far from anywhere else here! 

But, no, that's not a good tattoo. Which element(s) of it do you like best? The theme could be pretty interesting. I'm sure you've seen Rihanna's Egyptian under-boob tattoo (was done by Valerie Vargas) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27-6-2016 at 11:45 PM, HettyKet said:

 

I'm in the Netherlands too, finding a good artist shouldn't be a problem. Not at all. Where are you based? Not that anywhere is far from anywhere else here! 

But, no, that's not a good tattoo. Which element(s) of it do you like best? The theme could be pretty interesting. I'm sure you've seen Rihanna's Egyptian under-boob tattoo (was done by Valerie Vargas) 

On 27-6-2016 at 11:45 PM, HettyKet said:

 

I'm in the Netherlands too, finding a good artist shouldn't be a problem. Not at all. Where are you based? Not that anywhere is far from anywhere else here! 

But, no, that's not a good tattoo. Which element(s) of it do you like best? The theme could be pretty interesting. I'm sure you've seen Rihanna's Egyptian under-boob tattoo (was done by Valerie Vargas) 

 

That tattoo is pretty good. I'm from Delfzijl, in Groningen and the part that I like.. well.. the sun and the family in particular.

Where are you from by the way?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I'm mistaken - the tattoo is an amalgam of Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun and his father Akhenaten and Nefertiti - it's either Tut or Akhenaten as the Amarna period was the only one that worshipped Aten (the sun disk).

if you look at the original images - even as carvings they are more dynamic 

73ffb8ef1368a497c63b15a6f2b0b973

11ab879690df24049712f4cbf7924fc5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El Dolmago said:

Actually I'm mistaken - the tattoo is an amalgam of Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun and his father Akhenaten and Nefertiti - it's either Tut or Akhenaten as the Amarna period was the only one that worshipped Aten (the sun disk).

if you look at the original images - even as carvings they are more dynamic 

73ffb8ef1368a497c63b15a6f2b0b973

11ab879690df24049712f4cbf7924fc5

Nice research, I actually didn't know that Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30-6-2016 at 7:26 AM, bladezzz said:

And his waiting list isn't that long due to his short time in Holland, it's growing fast though...

well he will be my artist. thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this