hey, what is your opinion about this tattoo?

jordy

Hey, I think the title says enough, so what is your opinion? I'm thinking about getting a tattoo like this with a few changes... I don't know what it is but I feel like there is something missing. So let me know, i'll be happy with some opinions :)

tattoo wallace .jpg

Well, it's a small picture, but from what I can see...it's very flat and boring. It's lacking any kind of dynamic composition, it's pretty much just some hieroglyphics without any kind of shading to give it depth. I just googled Egyptian tattoos and this was one of the first hits I found. Notice how much more detailed and visually interesting it is. There's a lot cooler things you can do with an Egyptian theme. Where are you located? Maybe we can suggest some local artists.

I like the idea (my first tattoo was an ancient egyptian design) but the style of the sun isn't a traditional egyptian style - so it's jarring to me. Plus the sun is an egyptian god - Aten - so really if you're going to get the pharaoh and his wife (I think this is taken from Tutankhamun's funerary chair) it should be consistent.

4 hours ago, Synesthesia said:

Well, it's a small picture, but from what I can see...it's very flat and boring. It's lacking any kind of dynamic composition, it's pretty much just some hieroglyphics without any kind of shading to give it depth. I just googled Egyptian tattoos and this was one of the first hits I found. Notice how much more detailed and visually interesting it is. There's a lot cooler things you can do with an Egyptian theme. Where are you located? Maybe we can suggest some local artists.

oh wauw this one is amazing although it's a bit extreme for me and you're probably right with the 'flat and boring' thing.

Just now, jordy said:

oh wauw this one is amazing although it's a bit extreme for me and you're probably right with the 'flat and boring' thing.

ohh and I live in the netherlands so I probably have to find one myself

1 minute ago, jordy said:

Fair enough, just showing you the type of stuff that can be done! If you really want the hieroglyphic look, you can at least add some more shading/color or details to make it look less like just flat lines.

1 minute ago, Synesthesia said:

Fair enough, just showing you the type of stuff that can be done! If you really want the hieroglyphic look, you can at least add some more shading/color or details to make it look less like just flat lines.

Thanks for the tip! If i go with this design i'll certainly do that.

46 minutes ago, El Dolmago said:

I like the idea (my first tattoo was an ancient egyptian design) but the style of the sun isn't a traditional egyptian style - so it's jarring to me. Plus the sun is an egyptian god - Aten - so really if you're going to get the pharaoh and his wife (I think this is taken from Tutankhamun's funerary chair) it should be consistent.

alright, thanks for the heads-up!

I'm in the Netherlands too, finding a good artist shouldn't be a problem. Not at all. Where are you based? Not that anywhere is far from anywhere else here! 

But, no, that's not a good tattoo. Which element(s) of it do you like best? The theme could be pretty interesting. I'm sure you've seen Rihanna's Egyptian under-boob tattoo (was done by Valerie Vargas) 

On 27-6-2016 at 11:45 PM, HettyKet said:

I'm in the Netherlands too, finding a good artist shouldn't be a problem. Not at all. Where are you based? Not that anywhere is far from anywhere else here! 

But, no, that's not a good tattoo. Which element(s) of it do you like best? The theme could be pretty interesting. I'm sure you've seen Rihanna's Egyptian under-boob tattoo (was done by Valerie Vargas) 

On 27-6-2016 at 11:45 PM, HettyKet said:

That tattoo is pretty good. I'm from Delfzijl, in Groningen and the part that I like.. well.. the sun and the family in particular.

Where are you from by the way?

Actually I'm mistaken - the tattoo is an amalgam of Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun and his father Akhenaten and Nefertiti - it's either Tut or Akhenaten as the Amarna period was the only one that worshipped Aten (the sun disk).

if you look at the original images - even as carvings they are more dynamic 

73ffb8ef1368a497c63b15a6f2b0b973

11ab879690df24049712f4cbf7924fc5

6 minutes ago, El Dolmago said:

Actually I'm mistaken - the tattoo is an amalgam of Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun and his father Akhenaten and Nefertiti - it's either Tut or Akhenaten as the Amarna period was the only one that worshipped Aten (the sun disk).

if you look at the original images - even as carvings they are more dynamic 

73ffb8ef1368a497c63b15a6f2b0b973

11ab879690df24049712f4cbf7924fc5

Nice research, I actually didn't know that Thanks!