New member, First tat - healing and hockey question

Zendrix9

Hey there, 

I got my first tattoo 3 days ago on my chest. And have to say I couldn't be happier with it.

I do have a question about healing though. When I got it 3 days ago, the artist put on one of those saniderm (or other variant) on top and told me I should leave it on for 4-5 days then follow normal cleaning instructions. My question is, I have a hockey playoff game tomorrow, and I am wondering if any one knows if it would be safe/smart to play. I am down in miami, so the artist has not dealt with hockey players so he was not sure and said to call tomorrow. But I wanted to seek others advice as well. 

What do you suggest? It seems to be healing well, I have not taken the patch off and there is no excessive blood or oozing (pictures taken were right now) also the little mark around the jaw, is just part of the patch that did not peel off initially. Would it be okay to play then take off the patch after then start cleaning? or should i take extra measure? Or just not play all together? Thank you all for your advice, it is very valuable to me!

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Presumably you'll be wearing your kit over it so there should be little chance of direct impact damage to the tattoo. The 'derm may come off with excess sweat though (if you have the time there's quite a lot of info and experiences in the Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm thread in the Tattoo After Care section of the forum). With my last tattoo (second time using 'derm, two weeks old yesterday) I actually removed the 'derm at just under 3 days and it has been a very quick and easy heal. 

I guess I'd try to evaluate whether the tattooed area still feels tender if you poke it through the film and how important the game is for you, and go from there, obviously following any instructions given to you by your artist.

I would like to thank everyone for ther input thus far. I have done my research on the other forms, but was just curious if anyone had any other incite. The tattood area is not sensitive and there is no pain when poked. I was mostly just curious about risk of infection and damage to the artwork. But I think I am going to take most people's advice and just miss the game. Much appreciated everyone!

seriously? don't skip the game !! 

i'd take the patch off before you play. you will be fine ... just wear a clean shirt between your skin and your stinky hockey gear. that's the only thing i'd be worried about with respect to infections.

the tattoo isn't going anywhere man. 

and on a side note...you guys and your 'derm'  :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edited by bongsau

seriously? don't skip the game !! 

i'd take the patch off before you play. you will be fine ... just wear a clean shirt between your skin and your stinky hockey gear. that's the only thing i'd be worried about with respect to infections.

the tattoo isn't going anywhere man. 

and on a side note...you guys and your 'derm'  :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's what I'm saying man! It's the playoffs!