What are tattoo appointment essentials?

lildropofsunshine

I'm getting a piece on my thigh today that will probably be a 3 hour session or so, my longest yet.

I know that I should bring a sweatshirt in case I get cold, water, snacks my headphones in case I want to listen to something or tune out the noise and maybe my Kindle so I have games to play.

Anything else I need?

Thanks!

Edited by lildropofsunshine

10 hours ago, marley mission said:

i usually just bring the body part thats getting tattooed

Me too. My 6.5 hour session required someone bring me a sip of sumpthin, but otherwise there is chat and mental relaxation techniques, and time is up before you know it. I discovered early on that when I tried to look at my phone or listen to music I had a harder time than just laying back and zoning out/accepting the sensation.

my appointment essentials are this:

1)sleep good the night before

2)pre-hydrate the day & night before

3)eat good full healthy meal before tattoo (day of)

*bring with to shop*

1)small ice chest with at least 3 cold water bottles

2)ziplock baggie with skittles & M&M mix(keep sugars up)

3)nice ripe banana(instant potassium*keeps those electrolytes up*)

4) turn off ringer on phone

5)relax and enjoy the experience 

6)*and most important*have close bar or at least cold beers waiting for me when finished  ( I always get tattooed 100% sober),(but after tattoo,3 or 4 cold ones takes the edge off) LOL

Edited by Dan

1) Don't be hung over.

2) Don't be really hungry

3) If it's going to be an all day sitting I really liked having a Kindle or book to read. Tattooing or not, several hours in one place without something to read = Me going mad.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Oiocha said:

I thought the same thing, some kind of anarchy going on.  you grab more than one at a time and you are playing with fire.

but that's the best part for me,I try and get a couple m&ms and a couple skittles at the same time ! it's a great combo ! :8_laughing:

so I  am a  psychopathic anarchist  ?  cool ! 

Edited by Dan

20 hours ago, Dan said:

but that's the best part for me,I try and get a couple m&ms and a couple skittles at the same time ! it's a great combo ! :8_laughing:

so I  am a  psychopathic anarchist  ?  cool ! 

you said it not me man haha
So far good rest and dinner the night before has done lifetimes worth of good for my tattoos
my tattoo essentials so far have been:

My leg.

And...
1. A driver usually ( all my work is my right leg so far and im far too wimpy to drive afterwards)
2. 2-4L of water because hydration is cool
3. A chai latte before because they make me feel cozy and relaxed
4. Sticky bun for the half-way point (usually the first break after lining is finished)
5. Some good stories and conversation starters so me and my artist can have a good time.

6. The optional step is 3 days off of everything to rest and recuperate, my leg usually looks like a bunch of grapefruits packed in a sausage case the next few days after.

My must haves are a bottle of Powerade or something similar and a packet of mints or tic tacs. I don't usually drink tons during the tattoo (but I do drink like a sponge for 2-3 days prior) to avoid having to take frequent toilet breaks, but sip on the Powerade every time I get the chance. I also bring a chocolate bar for emergency use, although the only time it's actually been eaten during or shortly after the tattoo was when following a 4 hr session on my forearm my friend came in for her first (10-minute) tattoo and promptly fainted :D. She had not eaten anything all day and this was at about 2 pm, so yeah, be sure you eat well before a tattoo!

• 2 weeks later...

I always bring cookies and waters and sometimes protein bars. NOT low sugar protein bars. The sugar is necessary. 

Also 2 beers post session is a good way to ease the burn.   Not 2 many beers... Just 2. 

Edited by Rob I

13 hours ago, Fala said:

Hasn't this question already been asked several times in the past, with lots of advice already given??? 

so what ? why is that an issue here ? what is the problem with someone asking a question ? what about new members ? or people that don't come here everyday ? I've been here 3 years and have not seen a thread about this topic.even if it has been asked multiple times,new input or reminders or new ideas are always good IMO.

Edited by Dan

I usually just bring water and/or Gatorade, gum (except for when I told an artist I was going to Chad Koeplinger next and he warned me not to bring gum because it's a pet peeve of Chad's), and a jacket. The jacket is usually balled up and used as a pillow to try to get as comfy as possible for any tattoos I think I might need to lay down for. For longer sessions, I gorge on snacks on the drive up (Slim Jims and candy mostly) since eating during a tattoo kind of breaks my concentration and I usually don't want to take long enough breaks to eat anything.

On 7/1/2016 at 3:42 PM, Dan said:

my appointment essentials are this:

1)sleep good the night before

2)pre-hydrate the day & night before

3)eat good full healthy meal before tattoo (day of)

*bring with to shop*

1)small ice chest with at least 3 cold water bottles

2)ziplock baggie with skittles & M&M mix(keep sugars up)

3)nice ripe banana(instant potassium*keeps those electrolytes up*)

4) turn off ringer on phone

5)relax and enjoy the experience 

6)*and most important*have close bar or at least cold beers waiting for me when finished  ( I always get tattooed 100% sober),(but after tattoo,3 or 4 cold ones takes the edge off) LOL

I forgot to add that I take a handful of vitamins and herbal supplements daily,and I have for years,and I think that helps in preparing for a tattoo session as well.

• 3 weeks later...