sa100

Lonnngggggg flight after tattoo

Recommended Posts

Hey people,

Maybe someone could help me out with a bit of advice please, i have a day sitting in Ireland and then flying back to south africa the next day, from the time i leave my hotel to getting home will be around 30 hours with two long flights and a train ride, normally i wash my tattoos 3 times a day then just put bepanthol on, with flying i am sure it is better to keep it covered up, I am sure it will not be so hygienic washing it in airport toilets so will it be ok wrapped up for that amount of time do you think? or anyone have any other ideas? i have tried Tegaderm before and didn't like it at all, plus it is hard to use on a full sleeve.

thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! I don't really have any advice for flying but could I ask where you are getting your tattoo done in Ireland? I'm Irish living in London and considering getting my next tattoo done back home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there, it depends the style your after? i am sitting with Chris Crooks at white dragon Belfast, the other one i would recommend is Remis in Dublin, hope that helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yay, what do i win? :)

I used Tegaderm the last time, number one it is really hard to cover a full sleeve, cutting it to the correct length and wrapping it around your arm, especially when your by yourself, i imagine it would work better for smaller pieces..... and number two i got a small infection near my wrist, maybe i left it on for too long, around 4 - 5 days which is what i was told to do, i washed it really well before putting it on and avoided touching it but somehow that germ got in there somehow..... I also thought my other arm healed better with just using bepanthol, maybe i'll have to use Tegaderm again just for the flight then take it off.

thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sa100 said:

yay, what do i win? :)

I used Tegaderm the last time, number one it is really hard to cover a full sleeve, cutting it to the correct length and wrapping it around your arm, especially when your by yourself, i imagine it would work better for smaller pieces..... and number two i got a small infection near my wrist, maybe i left it on for too long, around 4 - 5 days which is what i was told to do, i washed it really well before putting it on and avoided touching it but somehow that germ got in there somehow..... I also thought my other arm healed better with just using bepanthol, maybe i'll have to use Tegaderm again just for the flight then take it off.

thanks :)

saniderm type products can be overlapped,it's in the instructions,I have had large pieces done and have used saniderm by overlapping pieces to cover the tattoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dan said:

saniderm type products can be overlapped,it's in the instructions,I have had large pieces done and have used saniderm by overlapping pieces to cover the tattoo.

yep I overlapped last time, ..... I still don't think its the easiest to do by yourself though trying to put it on nicely with one hand..... its probably going to be the easiest option though for my flight so might give it another shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sa100 said:

yep I overlapped last time, ..... I still don't think its the easiest to do by yourself though trying to put it on nicely with one hand..... its probably going to be the easiest option though for my flight so might give it another shot.

Bring it with you to the shop and have the artist apply it before you leave . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest -derm, too.  I had a really weepy lower leg tattoo that scabbed up badly during a 15-hour train ride where I didn't have access to a place to wash it---and the air on a plane is going to be significantly drier. You don't need to leave it on for 4 days; I tend to just do 48 hours, which seems to be enough to keep me out of the scab danger zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SStu said:

Bring it with you to the shop and have the artist apply it before you leave . . .

Cheers Sstu, I did think about that but thought your meant to apply it the day after the tattoo, Not straight away? I have one night to recover before flying home.

5 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I was going to suggest -derm, too.  I had a really weepy lower leg tattoo that scabbed up badly during a 15-hour train ride where I didn't have access to a place to wash it---and the air on a plane is going to be significantly drier. You don't need to leave it on for 4 days; I tend to just do 48 hours, which seems to be enough to keep me out of the scab danger zone.

That's good to know polliwog, don't want to travel all that way then mess it up, I'll go for the derm then, I am sure I'll manage to put it on somehow..... Or I just need to make a friend in Belfast :)

thanks for all the help guys and guys, friendly forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sa100 said:

Cheers Sstu, I did think about that but thought your meant to apply it the day after the tattoo, Not straight away? I have one night to recover before flying home.

That's good to know polliwog, don't want to travel all that way then mess it up, I'll go for the derm then, I am sure I'll manage to put it on somehow..... Or I just need to make a friend in Belfast :)

thanks for all the help guys and guys, friendly forum.

so if you are staying the night before you fly,then just wash it several times (like you said you do) and use something on it(I use Palmers cocoa butter)and keep saran(cling) wrap taped on for the after and that night,will you have time to go back in the morning to the shop and have someone there help with the derm ?

 

that's how I do it anyway,for the first 10 to 12 hours after the tattoo I wash it good several times with a anti-microbial soap and apply a very light coat of cocoa butter and cling wrap,let all the liquid ooze out then I put on the derm,I do this often as I go to Hawaii every year and get a tattoo on the last day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sa100 said:

Hey people,

Maybe someone could help me out with a bit of advice please, i have a day sitting in Ireland and then flying back to south africa the next day, from the time i leave my hotel to getting home will be around 30 hours with two long flights and a train ride, normally i wash my tattoos 3 times a day then just put bepanthol on, with flying i am sure it is better to keep it covered up, I am sure it will not be so hygienic washing it in airport toilets so will it be ok wrapped up for that amount of time do you think? or anyone have any other ideas? i have tried Tegaderm before and didn't like it at all, plus it is hard to use on a full sleeve.

thanks :)

holy crap ! you're not kidding about a long flight ! "

Flight time from Belfast to Cape Town is 14 hours 15 minutes

"  wow ! I thought my 5 1/2 hour hawaii flights were long ! LOL

did you do that just for the tattoo ?  or was it part vacation too ?  like I said,I fly to Maui & Kauai each every year,but it's 75% vacation and 25% tattoo.it's always at least 10 days.

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dan said:

holy crap ! you're not kidding about a long flight ! "

Flight time from Belfast to Cape Town is 14 hours 15 minutes

"  wow ! I thought my 5 1/2 hour hawaii flights were long ! LOL

did you do that just for the tattoo ?  or was it part vacation too ?  like I said,I fly to Maui & Kauai each every year,but it's 75% vacation and 25% tattoo.it's always at least 10 days.

Haha..... Yes but my flight is not direct , changing planes in Dubai too zzzzzzzzzz

welll I used to live in the UK and booked in with Chris who had a 2 year waiting list at the time, was only a short 40 mins flight to see him, I then moved to SA and thought after waiting so long I might as well follow it through......zero even half decent artists out here unfortunately,  But it's also a good excuse to go catch up with friends again so will nip over to the uk first and everyone's happy.... Apart from my bank account, still only going to be a week in total.

i wish my artist was based in Hawaii though instead, would be much better than rainy Ireland  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me suggest that if you feel that you really must wash on the plane, ask for bottled water (or in a pinch, club soda) as the tanks on them are not the best for low microbial content. I'll also suggest to protect the 'derm with a sleeve like used to keep sun off of golfers or even a fake tattoo sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask Chris his view - he has a lot of international clients and probably has fielded this kind of query before.

I left work covered for 10+ hours flying home from Japan but that's not the same as 30 hours obviously...

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, sa100 said:

Cheers Sstu, I did think about that but thought your meant to apply it the day after the tattoo, Not straight away? I have one night to recover before flying home.

Absolutely straight away. Apply it at the shop the same day. Leave it alone until you get home. No germs and contained weeping (although I'd have a couple of paper towels handy just in case of leak).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll chime in here, as a rabid fan of the -derm products. I've used them mostly the day AFTER, but last time on a whim I applied it right after the tattoo, before all the plasma leaky stuff had begun, "set it and forget it" style, and it was awesome. There was actually NO plasma at all, no collecting under the film (I have actually had that happen before) and it was much much easier to remove after 4 days when I applied it this way. So basically my entire healing process was no different than a mild sunburn. No real peeling, either. Kinda wild! This was a largish piece on my back and I could not get to it by myself at all, so it was simpler just to have it covered, then leave it be as long as possible. I was actually able to remove the film by myself, which I've never been able to do before. 

These people really oughtta pay me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • I don't get it either.  If anything, it gave me a sense of accomplishment and overcoming of anxiety, not creating it.  I think too many people today is the simplest things as the end of the world instead of just getting over it and going on with life.  Not to sound like an old fart, but I think too many people today don't know what real hardship really is.
    • As you might remember my story about almost 2 years ago and I want to thank you guys again for how much you've been uplifting me with your honesty and your words.  This post tattoo anxiety seems a very common thing. It hit me as well even though I was planning on getting a big one for many years.  Many people have contacted me and having those feelings seems to be a very common thing, there seems to be the same pattern that people are going through. it looks to me that nowadays people want to have a solution for everything immediately if they don't feel comfortable with something. People don't know how to be patient anymore and get rid of something if they don't like it. People compare themselves way too much with others as it's what social media does with many people's minds. There are quite a few reasons that I could write about regarding post tattoo anxiety and I was thinking about posting my experience here as so many people have been reaching out to me and I can see there seems to be a common psychological process (which maybe I will do if I find time to do so) Anyway:  I can assure to everyone with this anxiety: YOU WILL GET OVER THAT IT  and live will go on. It might take some time but you will get there. Don't be hard on yourself and even if right now you're having horrible panic attacks (which is a horrible feeling), it'll get less and you'll come to love your tattoo. It's a change you've done to your body and your mind now needs some time to adjust. Don't forget that you love tattoos and why you love them because this is why you decided to get them and it'll look great on you!    
    • I have been checking some review and got this "Numb 520 isn’t recommended for long sessions where you’ll need multiple reapplications every hour or so" I thought you may as well apply first layer later.... I have had a tattoo done on biceps and chest no relief from pain was needed(I'm not saying it didn't hurt as hell) but on my belly I just couldn't. I have read a bit how to help yourself,keep hydrated,get proper sleep,don't drink alko for 24hr,eat sweetes. Ibuprofen and aspirin thins your blood but paracetamol they say is safe to take is that true? The biggest problem is that my tattoo is done abroad during a holiday where I go only twice a year so not enduring a whole session is a big loss of time that's why I'm trying to get some advice how to help with the pain. Thanks. 
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

  • Topics

  • Blog Entries