dagger tattoo question

catalinahi

Hiii I'm planning on getting a dagger tattoo very soon! i wanted it to be horizontally placed in my rib cage, but i've seen that all pictures of dagger tattoos show them in a vertical position. I was wondering, is it alright for it to be placed horizontally? i've seen lots of rib cage tattoos of arrows, and i was thinking of that but with a 7 cm dagger instead. thank youuu!

Edited by catalinahi

I don't think there are any "rules" about placement of a dagger or knife.

Not sure about your experience with respect to the planning stage and realistic outcome of tattoos, but just in case you hadn't thought about it, you're not going to get much detail into a 7cm dagger.

horizontal placement of a dagger would not really fit with the body on the rib cage, it will look like a bent blade in my opinion. vertical dagger would be better placement on a rib cage... but at 7cm (half the size of your pinky) horizontal/vertical won't matter, it will look extra small like a sticker on the ribs. take the plunge and go waaay bigger, at least 3x bigger.

1 hour ago, bongsau said:

horizontal placement of a dagger would not really fit with the body on the rib cage, it will look like a bent blade in my opinion. vertical dagger would be better placement on a rib cage... but at 7cm (half the size of your pinky) horizontal/vertical won't matter, it will look extra small like a sticker on the ribs. take the plunge and go waaay bigger, at least 3x bigger.

my pinky is not even 6cm long :( hahaha but yeah you're right! might end up looking bent.. thanks :)

1 hour ago, SStu said:

I don't think there are any "rules" about placement of a dagger or knife.

Not sure about your experience with respect to the planning stage and realistic outcome of tattoos, but just in case you hadn't thought about it, you're not going to get much detail into a 7cm dagger.

dagger tattoos on fingers are around that size and still look pretty good.. but yeah i think i should go bigger and in that case, go vertical. definitely a better outcome. thank you!!

I don't know if it helps you at all, but this thread made me think of Davey Havok, who has a couple pairs of daggers going diagonally across his ribs. I think anything diagonal/vertical works in that spot, horizontal just looks awkward imo.

tumblr_nknigrI0N81u9fgs3o1_500.jpg

I myself have a tiny dagger through a heart on the back of my arm to fill a gap (plus it was to benefit an animal charity, I couldn't possibly go home that day without getting something!). I plan on getting a bigger dagger someday.

Yeah, you need to go bigger than 7cm. Whatever size works best with the proportions of your body is what you need. On me that'd be maybe 15 or 20 cm, I think. But larger and smaller framed humans ave available. 

A sort of diagonal placement could be great on the ribs, less jarring with the flow of the body than a straight placement. Jarring can be good though, so, yeah. 

My best dagger story... We were at semi-swanky bar last year. The bartender was, um, hipster'ish. He had a dagger on his forearm so I was like "hey, nice dagger." He gave me a shitty, smirky smile and barely acknowledged me. I was wearing a shirt that was open in the back so I gave him the "that's not a dagger, THIS is a dagger" in my best Crocodile Dundee impression. He didn't see that coming.