griffin tattoo for kid

so I'm thinking of getting a griffin tattoo for my calf. I love the way they look but most importantly my kids name is griffin. So I just wanna pick your brain. I am talking with my tattoo artist but I don't want to waste his time putting a stencil together before I know what I want. A griffin is kinda a gnarly beast. Not sure if its a good idea to get it because my kids name is griffin. I don't know how to incorporate my boy in this tattoo. Maybe its too far fetched. Maybe it could be great. Any input is very much appreciated.

You don't need to incorporate anything else about your kid, his name is more than enough of a connection to the subject matter. Don't clutter up an awesome tattoo with words or dates! I think your kid will be proud when he grows up and sees his dad got a badass beast as a tribute to him. :14_relaxed:

You could do something statuesque, new school, traditional...the list goes on. There's tons of options for a griffin since it's a mythical beast and there's no "wrong" way to draw one. It just depends on what style you want. 

Who is your intended artist? Any links to a portfolio?

11 hours ago, 2bacanvas said:

I could also incorporate a manticore who is guarding over a smaller griffin. Both mythical creatures. Not sure yet. Or I could keep the manticore for the other calf. Lol

Nice topic for a full sock  . . .

Griffin is a fantastic tattoo image. It contains all the elements of a strong tattoo - eagle head, talons and wings and a lions body and tail.

Your connection to the tattoo image is whatever you want to make to it. Your kids name is Griffin, I'd say that's pretty strong connection there. Kid will be stoked, guaranteed.

You just reminded me of one of my favorite images from a set of Spider Murphy flash. Love that griffin/lady at the bottom right. Of course, you won't be getting a lady face on yours, but griffins are cool. I was at Spider Murphy's only once and the person before me got a griffin from Paul Dobelman. It was awesome. If I were to get a griffin, I would have to go back there.

d5d0c45a75a7475ebe4834ac09044e0f.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2016 at 1:17 PM, TrixieFaux said:

You just reminded me of one of my favorite images from a set of Spider Murphy flash. Love that griffin/lady at the bottom right. Of course, you won't be getting a lady face on yours, but griffins are cool. I was at Spider Murphy's only once and the person before me got a griffin from Paul Dobelman. It was awesome. If I were to get a griffin, I would have to go back there.

d5d0c45a75a7475ebe4834ac09044e0f.jpg

Man, Dobelman does some awesome stuff.  His color palette alone is rad

edit - back on topic, definitely stick with the griffin sans dates or any other "afterthought" ideas. The manticore idea would be slick if you were trying to cover your whole leg. If not, griffin and manticore on opposing calves (calfs?) would be really solid.

Edited by sprouler
clarification and staying on topic

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...