Can you put sunscreen on healing tattoos?

Can you put sunscreen on a new tattoo (mine is a week old)? I put some of my Aveeno facial lotion on it to try and stop the itching, then I realized that it was a sunscreen one. Obviously using it once won't make a real difference, but can I use it again? My tattoo doesn't itch AT ALL anymore! So if it's okay, I want to continue with this, but if it's not, I will definitely stop.

Edited by lildropofsunshine

c'mon it doesn't it itch that bad !

meh i wouldn't put sunscreen on a fresh tattoo for 2 reasons:

1. sunscreen has a lot of extra chemicals in it that you probably don't want penetrating a healing tattoo. it may fade it out prematurely.

2. wearing sunscreen only encourages putting that fresh tattoo out on display in the summer sun. protect it and keep it covered for at least a couple weeks.

get tattooed in winter and you won't have this problem. 

Actually, it does itch that bad. I have 2 other tattoos and neither of them itched this much. Not even close actually.In fact, I've never had anything in my life itch as badly as this tattoo. Not even the rash I got from a medication or the horrible reaction I get from Johnson's baby lotion.

I definitely don't prance around with my tattoo showing. In fact, most of the time I'm wearing pants because i have work and I have to wear pants.

But thanks for the info about the chemicals and whatnot. I guess I'll have to find something else because this was seriously the best thing ever! My tattoo literally doesn't itch anymore whatsoever.

If the itch is that bad, it's possible you could be having some sort of reaction to the ink - I think I read in a past thread of that you were getting your first coloured tattoo (apologies if I've got the wrong person)? Does it itch all over the tattoo or just in a certain area? I definitely don't want to worry you (there's not much one can do in those cases anyway, just have to wait it out), just something to be aware of.

I also would avoid using sun screen on a tattoo that fresh due to the chemicals they use to obtain the protective effect. I find that applying ice seems to help with the itching, and obviously the good old slapping.

My leg pretty much has no hair, so I don't think that that's the reason. You could be right, but if you saw my thigh and I told you I hadn't shaved in 6 months (true), you wouldn't believe it because it looks like most peoples's 2 day growth. I don't know why I'm weird like that. But even with my lower legs I can get away with it for months, even through the summer.

Based on your responses, I will not use that facial lotion again which sucks because I haven't itched in hours now! I'll have to find something else.

@Kurgana - It itches all over, not in certain areas. It looks normal, just the gross peeling that happens, isn't warm to the touch etc...so no signs of infection or anything like that :) I tried ice, and it only sort of worked. And slapping it doesn't do much either but I do it all day at work because I have to.

@bongsau - I love how it turned out, but petty much everyone thinks it's a shit tattoo.

@Gingerninja - I'm already using lotion for sensitive skin because I have sensitive skin, so I'm good on that front. It's my everyday lotion (well, one of them). Like I said to kurgana, all is good and the only ugly is the peeling. No warmth, no weird bumps, just peeling that itches like hell. Maybe the super extra thick Eucerin would do that trick. My mom used that on me as a kid when my skin was extra dry and/or itchy. I absolutely hated it because it felt gooped on, but it was effective!

Edited by lildropofsunshine

If it's that bad I'd just take an antihistamine.

I'm an itchy person (eczema, highly reactive skin, random dryness) and in my overly varied experience it's very rare for ice not to kill an itch. When it doesn't antihistamine always will. 

It breaks the itch / inflammation / over reactive cycle. If it's that itchy and ice doesn't work you're almost certainly having a reaction. Most likely not to the ink mind, just to something in your environment (or several things even). 

Sensitive skin that's 'upset' for whatever reason will often react to things that would normally be fine. Skin that's already reacting is even more susceptible to reactions, and so on until it reaches hysteria. 

Edited by HettyKet

An allergic reaction to the ink won't necessarily give you any other symptoms initially apart from the itch, but that's probably not the case here since the whole tattoo is affected. Antihistamine won't help if it's not allergic, but I'd be tempted to try it just in case, especially since at least where I'm from you can get them very cheaply and over-the-counter. The only problem is that the new generation non-drowsy antihistamines don't usually work for itchiness so you have to factor in that; ideal if you have a day or two off really, at least for me since I have a really low tolerance for the older ones and WILL fall asleep randomly (so absolutely cannot drive or do anything that requires much attention).

Edited by Kurgana

58 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

You may want to consider a lotion like Lubriderm that is fragrance free and great for sensitive skin. Is there any signs of "extra" redness or bumps? Does it feel extra warm? If not, you're just most likely experience a different heal than the other times.

...keep in mind some lotions (i.e. Lubriderm) contain lanolin (sheep byproduct) which can irritate some skin and vegan mindsets. Now I used Lubriderm to heal my first few years of tattoos. Then I couldn't anymore because it would just itch and burn. So I switched to other lotions like vaseline intensive care and glysomed over the years. Same thing, after a few successfull tattoo heals it would just itch and burn. So now I just dry heal and only spot-use A&D only if I feel it is necessary to lubricate the skin to prevent too much cracking. Healing methods work in different ways for different people and for . It's a bit of a trial by fire in my opinion.

But yeah, don't use sunscreen on a healing tattoo!

@HettyKet - It's not that ice didn't work, it's that the relief didn't last. My tattoo it still wasn't itchy from when I put the facial moisturizer on until now, after I washed it and let it dry. For whatever reason, that moisturizer completely took the itch away. I went out and bought some thicker lotion (Target's brand of Eucerin), so hopefully that helps.

@bongsau That's really interesting about your sensitivity. Isn't it fascinating how differently we all react and heal? I discovered that I get can contact dermatitis from hours of the gloves on my skin. I don't have a latex allergy, either. I was horrified once when the artist took a photo of my new tattoo. It looked awful due to all the red bumps.

@lildropofsunshine Glad that you found some relief!

@Gingerninja - Yeah, the lotion is working pretty well. I figured it would since it's what I have to use in the winter to keep my skin happy. In the summer I can usually get away with a lighter lotion though. I'm also careful about making sure extra ointment or lotion is taken off. With lotion I usually rub it down my leg and with ointment I usually blot it with a paper towel.

3 minutes ago, LizBee said:

I like coconut oil, and i also think if it works, use it. One can overthink things sometimes. Relax and enjoy your itch free tattoo and start planning more

You know, I was wondering about oils. I have Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Coconut Oil and I was wondering in my mind if I could use that on my tattoo.

Oh, I already know there's gonna be a #4, but I have absolutely no idea what it'll be...but it'll probably either be my other thigh. my left foot/ankle or my left shoulder. Yeah...lots of choices lol. As for content, I've got a few ideas floating around in my head, but nothing concrete, and that's just fine :)

• 3 weeks later...