Plain Skin Newbie

skywalker

Hi guys,

My name's Courtney, I'm a "plain skin" from Cardiff (UK) and planning on getting some tats soon when I get my sh*t together (i.e. get the money and time off work). I love the traditional style and will be going to a shop in my town, probably Frontier tattoo. 

Any advice or warnings at all would be most welcome and I'll probably ask some questions while I'm here (if there's not already a thread for them).

Welcome,

Chris Collins work looks quite nice in the traditional style. You may also want to try to get in with pedro_soos who seems to be doing a guest spot (visit to the shop) in August.

As for advice, closely follow the aftercare advice given by the artist who does your tattoo, and take no advice from anyone or anywhere else! Once you have ten tattoos that have healed well do what works for you, but everyone will have suggestions, ignore them.

Post a photo once you get something.

47 minutes ago, mtlsam said:

Welcome,

Chris Collins work looks quite nice in the traditional style. You may also want to try to get in with pedro_soos who seems to be doing a guest spot (visit to the shop) in August.

As for advice, closely follow the aftercare advice given by the artist who does your tattoo, and take no advice from anyone or anywhere else! Once you have ten tattoos that have healed well do what works for you, but everyone will have suggestions, ignore them.

Post a photo once you get something.

Thanks for the reply and the advice, mtlsam.

Collins was exactly who I had in mind, love his style.

I'd never seen pedro_soos tattoos before, they look right up my alley too.

All I'm worried about with tats is the blowout since I'm so pasty I'm practically translucent but as long as I take care of my skin before and after, I can live with mistakes.

I'll definitely post anything I get!

On 7/9/2016 at 8:24 AM, skywalker said:

Thanks for the reply and the advice, mtlsam.

Collins was exactly who I had in mind, love his style.

I'd never seen pedro_soos tattoos before, they look right up my alley too.

All I'm worried about with tats is the blowout since I'm so pasty I'm practically translucent but as long as I take care of my skin before and after, I can live with mistakes.

I'll definitely post anything I get!

hi and welcome,like was said,skin tone has nothing at all to do with blowouts,blowouts can happen fro many reasons,but not color or tone of skin,

blowouts can happen from the artist pushing too hard,

it can happen to even the very best artists,

it can happen on certain types of thin skin(like base of front /side of  necks,or soft thin skin anywhere on the body)

it can happen to old guys like me because of age,

it can happen from the artist stretching the skin too much during the tattoo,

but going back to very "pasty" or white-ish skin,that's actually the best skin tone for tattoos.especially color tattoos.

that's also why 50spf is our best friend

and the very best advice we can give you is to carefully choose the right artist.

Edited by Dan

Hey there and welcome to the forum! I'm also very, very pale, and so far on 6 tattoos no blowouts (knocking wood).

Also, what Dan says above about pale skin being the best to tattoo is spot on. Some of my artists have actually commented on how nice it is to tattoo very pale skin like mine (I live in southern Italy so the local artists don't tend to see much of it). I'm just happy to have found one positive aspect of being pasty!

Apart from what everyone else have already said, my number one advice for getting tattooed would be not to stress about it, be sure to go to your appointment well rested and hydrated, and above all, be sure you eat something! I once witnessed someone faint after getting a 10-minute tattoo due to being nervous about their first tattoo and not having eaten anything that day (and this happened in the early afternoon).