Hello

rose094

Hi, I'm Rose094 and I've never had a tattoo before but I am planning on getting one very soon and I had some questions I need answered. Really just one big one, I'm a minor and I need to know if I will be able to go out of state and get a tattoo with parent consent even if I'm not a resident in that state. I am from Tennessee and want to go to Kentucky. I have emailed a shop after looking at their porfolios and am very impressed with the artists' work. I am waiting to hear back from them about tattooing me but if any of you know for certain whether it is an okay thing to do then please get back to me. Thank you.

Regardless of if you're allowed to...don't do it.

From about 13 on, I knew I wanted tattoos and if I looked hard enough, I could probably find my old journals (from when I should have been taking notes in school) where I doodled all my amazing tattoos I was going to get the day I turned 18. A lot of nautical stars, metalcore lyrics, upside down koi fish...who knows what else. I finally got my first tattoo when I was 18. Not on my birthday like I always thought I would but a couple months later. It was a logo for a straight edge band. I still like the band and they were massively influential to my music taste and lifestyle (I was straight edge at the time) but it's kind of funny now because I'm no longer straight edge and beer has actually become a big passion of mine in recent years.

I'm 25 now and I don't regret it, but I had also been deciding what I wanted for 5 years and obsessing over tattoos since I was in middle school. As it stands now, if I could go back and do it again, I probably wouldn't. Had I been able to get a tattoo at 16, who knows what I might have done. I was a lucky one, probably just because I've always had an affinity for art so I had a little bit of a head start as far as realizing what good tattoos looked like.

I'm assuming you're 16 or 17...waiting until you're at least 18 isn't that hard but I know it feels like forever. If you wait until you're 18 and still make a bad decision, at least you're an adult and can take full responsibility for your decision instead of later growing to regret it and blaming the artist or your parents for letting you do it. Plus it never hurts to think about something permanent for a while. If something is a good idea today and a good idea a year from now, it was always a good idea. You'd be surprised how much the tattoos I want even now as an adult (kind of) change over 6 months or so of sitting on the idea and really thinking it over. In the meantime, learn as much about tattooing as you can. Look up artists, do research into what makes good tattoos, think about how you want your tattoo to look...just don't get it until you're at least 18.

Probably a bunch of wasted breath, but whatever.

Thank you for your concern but its a memorial for my late sister. Nothing i could ever possibly regret besides her not being able to live her life since she died when she was 8. Im 17 on Friday and my dad and mom both believe in this tattoo. They have been devoriced and this is probably the only tattoo theh would even allow for me before im responsible for myself. And my dad is covered in tattoos he believes in but he would never even let me get a star. This being for my sister he is willing to allow. I am constantly doing research and he is telling me every risk. Hiv, aids, etc.

Edited by rose094
More thought

Okay so yeah, wasted breath. Yet I am not deterred somehow...

You may not regret the symbolic aspect of the tattoo, but you might regret the application. Most high quality studios won't do tattooing on anyone under 18 and I would be skeptical of any that did. You may regret what you choose to honor your sister with. How many people got a feather or infinity symbol and then felt a little embarrassed for getting swept up in the trend? My own preferences in tattoos have changed drastically throughout the years and it wasn't until a couple years ago that I really nailed down what it was I loved about tattoos and what styles I liked. Wait a while and see how your interests change with time.

Again, it won't kill you to wait until you're 18 and then it's a mistake to live with that's yours and yours alone if it ends up going that way. It doesn't hurt anything to wait, you have your whole life ahead of you to get tattooed.

1 hour ago, pidjones said:

Also, legal age for tattoo in Kentucky is 18.

Except with parental permission:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_tattooing_in_the_United_States

Most states permit a person under the age of 18 to receive a tattoo with permission of a parent or guardian, but some states outright prohibit tattooing under a certain age regardless of permission, with the exception of medical necessity (such as markings placed for radiation therapy).

Not that I'm recommending this!

The OP's question is because she is from Tennessee, which has an absolute ban on under-18s, and she wants to go to Kentucky where under 18 is (apparently) allowed with parental consent.

Edited by PinkUnicorn
added more info

Hey Rose, please wait. I can empathize with your desire to get a memorial tattoo for your sister. Please realize that your may be asking an artist to break the law. There's nothing cool about that scenario. Wait until you can find a great artist that can do a proper tattoo. If you post photos of a tattoo and heaven forbid that someone puts together that you are under age, that's a pretty crappy position that you just places everyone in - you, your parents and the artist. Do you really want to do that?

My dad would never do something where he would end up in a mess. I would never ask someone to break a law so i can get something i want. None of you know me or what sort of precautions im taking so please stop telling me to wait. As for the two people that were actually helpful for what my question was, thank you.

I love when newbies (especially underage ones) post and get mad because no one agrees with them. Fun times. Ah, to be 17 again and right about everything.

I'm sorry about your sister, but your memorial can wait until you are of age. Turn 18, go to a great artist, and get something wonderful for her.

Edited by oboogie

I doubt you'd need to be a resident but that's a question for the shop where you're getting tattooed. You will need to provide a valid ID like a drivers license and you will probably need the parent to be there with you to grant consent. A note won't cut it or every 16 year old who wants a tattoo would just forge a note from home. The real question is what are you getting and from what artist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@rose094 Hello and welcome! My guess is that it would depend state to state or shop by shop.  I've seen it while hanging out at a shop where I live, where a minor (I think 16 or 17?) was tattooed by a quality artist at a quality shop with her mother there with her even though they were here on holidays so residence wasn't an issue.  Tattoos aren't regulated at all here so I don't know how much of a factor that is, but it's in principle possible.  Check with the shop you want to get tattooed at.  Good luck.

Edited by Graeme

I believe @Graeme is right. I used to live in Florida and you can get tattooed there with parent / guardian consent as a minor. Tons of tourists do this all the time and no one ever seemed to mind that they were from out of state. 

Sorry to read about your sister. Good luck with your tattoo.