Curious

Tiresius

@Tiresius I live in Sicily, Italy. Living on an island is sometimes a little frustrating. I'd love to collect tattoos from artists all over the world, but at least at this stage of my life it seems a little complicated. This is not to say that there are no talented local artists, but I guess I tend to gravitate towards styles that are not that well represented here. 

I totally see myself as pretty much covered in the future. Hopefully with work by multiple artists. It's probably not going to end up looking very cohesive, especially because I'm all for mixing different styles... But at least it will be interesting :)

59 minutes ago, Kurgana said:

@Tiresius I live in Sicily, Italy. Living on an island is sometimes a little frustrating. I'd love to collect tattoos from artists all over the world, but at least at this stage of my life it seems a little complicated. This is not to say that there are no talented local artists, but I guess I tend to gravitate towards styles that are not that well represented here. 

I totally see myself as pretty much covered in the future. Hopefully with work by multiple artists. It's probably not going to end up looking very cohesive, especially because I'm all for mixing different styles... But at least it will be interesting :)

that's me 100%

I'm still wanting my tattoos to be relatively discreet, and I'm also a little hung up regarding coherence. My body is an extension of particles, but I am also a unitary being and I feel the need for there to be a unifying principle behind it all. My first was going to be my only one: I had this idea of the tattoo being 'my motto' or my personal symbol. However, I was in a bad place at the time and some years later I had another on the other ankle to provide a kind of answer to the first.

A few months ago someone that meant a lot to me passed away, and I really want to be physically marked by that - if that makes any sense! I also want something really beautiful and larger than my previous ones. I may have it done on my abdomen, however, so it remains discreet. The difficulty is that I feel like it needs to tie in with the other two and I'm not sure quite what that means. I don't want to repeat the exact motifs, and I'm not even sure whether it is unity of style that I am after...

I was considering remaining with the theme: so the first was a rose- bud, the second, an anklet of hearts and this third COULD be a swan which would make them all romantic. But...I'm feeling some tooth rot from the saccharine!

@Tiresius I totally get what you're saying. It's a difficult decision when you are trying to make all your tattoos work together. Lots of people succeed, but I ended where I'm now when I realised I didn't want to be limited by a specific style or theme. Still not sure how it's going to work out for the single body parts though - my current tattoos are set apart from each other, but my probable next one (actually it'll be three separate tattoos in the same area) will have to somehow fit on my arm where I already have a really girly little scrollwork tattoo (one of the earliest) and a large blackwork piece taking up pretty much all of my inner forearm. 

@Tiresius I uploaded some (questionable quality) pics of the newest three to the gallery (just click on my name and you should see them in my profile).  My two oldest are frankly too small, too boring & in a too bad shape to share (they are 17&16 years old and saw no kind of sun protection for most of that time, so they desperately need some retouching), while the middle one is my ooops tattoo (also known as should-not-have-gone-to-that-artist). Also, all three are in spots which are impossible to photograph by myself ;).

Ha ha! I love your characterisation of the middle one :D

The  firefly ROCKS! I really like its clean, precise geometry! The curls of the armadillo are amazing too.

I'm a fan of Queen - but not enough of a fan to get a tribute tattoo... I love the way the artist managed to get those high cheek bones in. He was a beautiful man! (Freddie, not the artist ;) )

Seems like Sicily has talent!

Question: how does it usually work when one books a tattoo with an artist who has a long waiting list?

I had my consultation. We discussed the tattoo; I paid a deposit; but the appointment is in a year. I was told that I could change my mind about what I wanted done. Mostly it was a copy of a detail of a painting so the artist said he did not need to draw up a design anyway.

It just seems strange to have a consultation so long before the work is actually started. Like, I could change my mind a million times before then. Why have consultations so long in advance? Would it not make more sense to have bookings made, but consultations closer to the time?

@DJDeepFried well one needs to make an appointment for a consultation. Like that is done by phone or messenger or going in to schedule it. Then the consultation involves discussing what you want and then after the consultation I made an appointment for in a year which is the soonest I could get (they did inform me of that before the consultation, so it wasn't like they sprung it on me). So - why not just make the appointment for the consultation in a year's time, a week or so before having the actual work done? I guess its to get the deposit to make sure one actually comes for the appointment - after all, the chances of changing ones mind in the interim are quite high, and it would be awkward to ask for a deposit without even having a discussion...

@Kurgana There is an interview with Beppe Strambini on this site, and a lot of international guest artists seem to pass through Ink Addiction.  I know Verona is a long ways away from Sicily, though!  Not sure what style you're into, either.  But it sounds like an awesome shop, and one that I'd like to visit.

Edited by polliwog

Thanks @Tiresius

That middle tattoo was pretty much a direct consequence of me never making my mind up - had been wanting more tattoos for years after the first two (got those while living in the UK). I never found anyone local I liked enough, then gave up on the search and ended up having it done on a whim while on holiday (never a good plan when you haven't done your homework on the artist). I guess it's not really one of the worst tattoos ever, but he managed to screw it up plenty considering he had a good, ready image to work from (it's too small even though I specifically asked him to make it big enough to age well, so it'll probably end up a nice black blob in a few years, and then there's the arm he forgot to add, etc). BUT that tattoo is what  pushed me "over the edge" to actively look for a good tattooer again, so I have no regrets. Just got to add more so no one will notice lol.

I've loved Queen since I was about 7, and actually three of my tattoos are somehow related to them (firefly, oopsie & Freddie obviously), not promising there won't be more ;). It's an obsession :D.

Now to get back on track and stop hijacking your thread, it certainly sounds counterintuitive to do the consultation that far ahead of your actual appointment. Although I guess they need to do it before taking your deposit to ensure your plan is feasible & you're aware of what can be achieved within your requirements (space, style, budget). I can't imagine the tattoo artist retaining much info from the consultation a year before the actual appointment though.

(@polliwog I've been planning to watch some of the interviews for ages  so maybe I finally should. There are quite a few interesting studios/artists elsewhere in Italy, and I'm definitely keeping the option of a nice long weekend in the north in the back of my mind should I get the opportunity, just that there always seems to be other priorities to sort out first)

@Kurgana I don't believe conversations are hijack-able as I always enjoy the various detours they take :D

Your story makes me realise how fortunate I am as I did no research regarding the artists of my first two tattoos. I knew what I wanted for a while and then it was just about finally being in the time and space to have it done. I have a serious problem with making decisions in general and I really find the need to book months in advance and all the rest to be a serious impediment. 

3 tattoos shows SERIOUS commitment to a band! Makes me consider a Rammstein tattoo in the future :)