Scabbing

Isotope

So, having a fair bit of tattooing under my belt, i've begun to notice something. I scab. Easily. Badly. Big, thick ones. Only one tattooer has made me not scab anywhere, Kelly Edwards. And he did my full back. Healed perfectly every session. 

Every other tattooer, not so much. Linework never scabs. Black shading almost never scabs. But almost anywhere color has been packed really solid, I can count on my healing being a nightmare with one wrong move needing a touch up. 

This is Texas. Everything is sweaty all the time. Even in the dead of winter, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But I'm at a loss. Maybe it's just my immune system. I'm curious to hear others experiences with scabbing in tattoos. 

@Isotope when it comes to scabbing there are so many factors at play I wouldn't worry about the why am I scabbing aspect part of it. The only thing that you can essentially control is the method that you use to heal your tattoos afterwards. Now I am unsure of how you heal a majority of your work but if you find that what you have been doing isn't working it might be time to try something different; dry healing or tegaderm.  After a crappy scab ridden heal on my ribs I decided to give 3M tegaderm a shot for my last session because I didn't want to go thru that again and what I found out was quite pleasing. Using tegaderm I avoided all scabbing and had a much quicker heal. After that experience I am going to use it exclusively for healing all future tattoos that I get.

Edited by Hospitelli

Agreed with the above regarding wrapping or the -derm products.  I've consistently had pretty good heals, not always perfect ones though, rewrapping my tattoos.  I actually didn't wrap a small one I got about six months ago because I was out of Saran Wrap and I figured because it was small it wouldn't be a big deal.  The thing scabbed and healed sort of crappy.  Go figure.

Next time you get tattooed talk with your tattooer about it.

I actually didn't wrap a small one I got about six months ago because I was out of Saran Wrap and I figured because it was small it wouldn't be a big deal.  The thing scabbed and healed sort of crappy.  Go figure.

I had a very similar experience, just a small one, should be an easy heal. Didn't end as well as I thought.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Personally I think it depends on so many factors : the artist, the position of the tattoo, your state of health at the time of healing. I've had all sorts of heals from perfect minimum peel, healed in 3 days to next level cm thick scabs. I usually wet heal and have used dermalise (and other similar products). For example I've had bullet proof heals using those products but I've scabbed at least a little everytime. Most recently I'm healing a small one on inner thigh, have used dermalise for a week, removed and now have some pretty big /deep scabs. But I've been very ill so I'm sure this has delayed the heal. I'm just leaving it alone now. I'm sure it will come good. You've just got to bear with - I just think what will be will be! 

• 4 weeks later...

I used to scab a little,the last two tattoos I have had done I used cocoa butter and anti-microbial washing several times  a day,but I kept the butter on lightly 24/7 for the first 5 or 6 days,and they healed perfectly,no scabbing,I get peeling,but no scabbing,after the  first 5 or 6 days I go to Aveeno.

at night I lightly saran wrap the area and tape when sleeping so it would stay on and not soil the sheets.

I use small towels on my armchair to watch TV,etc,etc

I agree the color does tend to scab more than  black/gray

Edited by Dan