I gave in and watched it before finishing even half of today's work. It was worth it. May have to have a tattoo show binge like Jade later on tonight, haha.

We need more shows like this, I think it would be great! The interviews here, and these shows, already make me happy, but they make me want to see more too. My best friend is a producer- one day I'm going to MAKE him work with some tattooers to see what they come up with, for my own selfish needs.

can i just say that i had a smile on my face the whole time, and dare i say that i kind of liked it more that tattoo age? i guess it's hard to tell since there's only been one 12 minute episode of tattoo age, and this was 31, but it encompassed so much of tattooing that i love, at least from a customer's stand point. i felt inspired after watching it. coincidental that Jackson and i may be going to New York by the end of the year, now i have to decide is it worth it to sell my car to get tattooed while i'm there (because there's so many artists that i love!), or do i want to not get tattooed to go to new zealand. it's a honest to god deciding factor, and it may sounds stupid to some, but god damn i'll miss getting tattooed if i leave here. it's one of the main points for wanting to stay.

Watched last night. And everyone who said "Stop talking about TLC, stop going ape shit, you're just giving them more power," were absolutely right. This should be the response. This should be the well-crafted answer to their shit show shitshow.. Beautifully done and exceedingly inspiring for us lay people so I can only imagine that it's even more positive for you tattooers. Ten thousand thank yous to Marcus Kuhn and for everyone involved. I hope this sets a new bar.

yeah it is good so far. Just like scott's interviews and the tattoo age show, it is so awesome to get a feel for these people who are amazing tattooers, bear witness to how humble they all are amid all the hype that surrounds them. Very inspiring. I may never be the same caliber as any of these artists in my life, but i am proud to be a part of what is happening right now. The bullshit exploitation shows are just a fart in the wind, but the rest of these guys/girls will still be rocking it.

I liked this 'show'. While I prefer the stripped down no frills technique of Scott's interviews here and the simple monologue/face-to-face chat of Tattoo Age. I think it's great that Marcus has brought a different, more flamboyant element to tattoo media without it turning out like an egotistical vanity project. I like the way marcus is more like a narrator/guide than the 'star' of the show. It feels insightful and respectful and spiritual, regardless of the subjects and setting.

If I have a criticism (however small) it would be that it is almost a little too cool sometimes, maybe because I'm a dork and Marcus is tough, handsome and charismatic!

I'm looking forward to the rest and I'm stoked that someone with opinions, knowledge and balls is making tattoo media with high production values.

...everyone who said "Stop talking about TLC, stop going ape shit, you're just giving them more power," were absolutely right. This should be the response. This should be the well-crafted answer to their shit show shitshow..

I'm sorry to single this quote out as I don't disagree with you per say but I feel that shows like this are probably not and certainly shouldn't be a 'reaction' to bottom-of-the-barrel mainstream coverage of tattooing. Maybe the initial spark comes from frustration at tattooing being mis-represented but I always feel it's best to produce something as pure and high quality as you can - for it's own sake.

If you define yourself by what you are not, when you succeed in conquering what you were fighting, nothing defines you at all.

If we work to create beauty and strive for quality, the effort is it's own reward. The resulting creation exists to enrich others.

If we work to create beauty and strive for quality, the effort is it's own reward. The resulting creation exists to enrich others.

Yes, not a reaction, poor word choice. You summed it up much better than I did. I only meant that instead of shouting and protesting, the best thing to do is work at and create something positive. That this is the kind of high-calibre production that is, in its way, a kind of quiet "answer" to the other things out there. A wonderfully crafted, thoughtful, artful and very human piece that celebrates the hard work and unbelievable talent that is out there.

I love the artists he's chosen but damn- I'm sick of how often he calls things "cool." I like Hooper's talk about the Polynesian warrior tattoos influence and how they're fitted so well to the body and empowering.

EDIT - just read Stewart's post above. He elaborates a similar sentiment much more eloquently.

I love the artists he's chosen but damn- I'm sick of how often he calls things "cool." I like Hooper's talk about the Polynesian warrior tattoos influence and how they're fitted so well to the body and empowering.

EDIT - just read Stewart's post above. He elaborates a similar sentiment much more eloquently.

It's not "cool", it's "super cool"! Haha, maybe he's just from a place where people say that a lot. In Newcastle, we tend to make sentences ten times longer by adding in words that don't mean to be there. It's just a force of habit. Though, I still agree with you and Stewart about it being a bit too cool- I was kind of jealous of the places they were going to and what was going on around them, since I'm also a dork.

I love the artists he's chosen but damn- I'm sick of how often he calls things "cool."

Thanks, but I wasn't talking about the language. I say 'cool' and other americanised phrases although I'm very English. I thought Marcus made a great narrator/guide and his mannerisms fit the style very well.

I was more thinking about Dan's record/antique/coffee shop and hanging about drawing in a coffee shop. It's a very cool thing to do. I don't mean that in an insulting or negative way. If I wanted to be insulting i would have said 'hipster' but that's not what I wanted to mean. it's the kind of artsy hangout vibe that many people love and it fitted the style and approach Marcus has chosen to take, but it's the only small thing I didn't think was awesome because I'm kinda dorky and socially awkward. But that's tattooing in general for me, I'm just waiting for the tough guys to sniff me out, realise I'm an dork and give me a wedgie.

You're right about Thomas' opinion on the power of tribal tattooing. I would extend the same thing to traditional Japanese tattooing too. Thomas knows his shit when it comes to the mechanics of powerful tattooing outside of the American style.

I feel spoiled with all these cool documentaries and shows but even more spoiled because I've been fortunate enough to have had the same conversations with some of these guys face-to-face and often more in-depth. I feel like a kid being allowed to stay up past my bedtime and hang with the adults.

You're all obviously just jealous of his cool hats.

I think that's really a more concise version of what I was trying to say to be honest.

Marcus is a fucking cool ass tough guy.

That was just heartwarming. I feel really good now. At first the pace was little hectic, music blasting over Santoros and Marcus was talking over them little too much. But when they went in the Tibetan museum, it was like swooosh! Marcus was calmer and whole of the vibe shifted. You could just see when he talked that he had that warmth in his belly. That exitment. Love it.

And when Thomas talked about the more complex patterns and how they link to the brain being complex... Yes. A cycle. And he explained the pover of Tribal tattooing to the teeth. Great thought about the black.

And the scene where they all drew in the diner. I felt happy :)

Little too loud music at times, but other than that it was lovely.