Pricing / Rate questions

saintmarys

Hi,

I have an appointment with a pretty well-known artist, Mike Adams, coming up pretty soon - I have only communicated with him a small amount because he's really busy and I think doesn't respond to emails often - I also don't know if it's considered polite to ask about pricing, but I wanted to have some idea of what chunk of $$$$ it will cost me to get something from his flash/paintings about palm-sized.

I don't know if anyone here has been tattooed by him but any tips on ettiquette would be great! Sorry if this is a dumb question.

EDIT: reading around, I can now see it's inappropriate to ask a specific rate/pricing for an artist. I guess I just want to know if it's ok for me to ask him the day of the appointment before we start. I told him what I would like done and he said that sounds good so that's as far as I've gotten. I know that placement/size will change stuff and I want him to have artistic liberty as I think he's fantastic. My first tattoo was from a friend of a friend and it was only $150 which seems insanely cheap (covers whole inner bicep) because it's gorgeous and I know he gave me a discount. 

Edited by saintmarys

I always ask for the price, as I need to know how much to bring. I always ask it last, tho, after everything is sorted out and the appointment is made and the design and placement are chosen. I just say, "How much do you think it will be? I want to know how much to bring with me." or "I want to known how much to set asside." 

Doesnt have to be any more complicated than that. If youve already shown that youre comitted to getting the tattoo, you shouldnt feel bad about asking for price. If you hear artists complain about it, its usually from clients who are price hunting and dont have any real intention of getting tattooed by them. 

If he doesnt respond to emails give the shop a quick call.

Edited by a_beukeveld

Just now, a_beukeveld said:

I always ask for the price, as I need to know how much to bring. I always ask it last, tho, after everything is sorted out and the appointment is made. I just say, "How much do you think it will be? I want to know how much to bring with me." or "I want to known how much to set asside."

Doesnt have to be any more complicated than that. If youve already shown that youre comitted to getting the tattoo, you shouldnt feel bad about asking for price. If you hear artists complain about it, its usually from clients who are price hunting and dont have any real intention of getting tattooed by them. 

If he doesnt respond to emails give the shop a quick call.

Thanks for your response, I will definitely give the shop a call. I believe it's a private studio so it may just be his mobile. I have set aside up to about $400 which seems like it would be good for a palm or so sized tattoo from flash but you never know, which is why I am sort of second-guessing myself. Thanks again

4 minutes ago, saintmarys said:

Thanks for your response, I will definitely give the shop a call. I believe it's a private studio so it may just be his mobile. I have set aside up to about $400 which seems like it would be good for a palm or so sized tattoo from flash but you never know, which is why I am sort of second-guessing myself. Thanks again

Good idea. If you arent sure, just ask him if he thinks $400 will be enough for what you want. He knows what his designs are worth.