First Tattoo, Big thigh piece

Zookeeper

So I'm looking for a couple of things here, first being advice on tattoo design that I can suggest to the artist (I already had a consultation, artist is working on first draft), second being care of the tattoo, and third being how to prepare for the tattooing session (I've been told it is going to be very long since the tattoo needs to be done all at once since there is not a clear outline).

So I'm getting a large lion tattooed on my lower thigh (probably going to stretch the entire length of the thigh though). It is mostly black with heavy shading and somewhat realistic. Very bright contrasting yellow/orange eyes with splotches of yellow, orange and red in the background. There is a long line running through it, cutting the lion off after the head. I'm hoping to change it to include more of the mane. I asked for the quote 'twenty seconds of insane courage' but I may ask for that to be taken out because I don't think it will fit into the tattoo very well. If it comes out nice and fits the tattoo I will keep it. There are is a very short stretch of African landscape, limited to the black silhouettes of some trees  and several small black silhouettes of birds flying away in the background.

All these questions and concerns can be answered by your tattooer. As for how to prepare for the tattoo, just get lots of sleep the day before and stay hydrated throughout the day and during the tattoo. Eat breakfast. Wear shorts that are comfortable and that you can move around easily with. I wore a bathing suit for both of my thigh pieces. I also wore tight underwear to be sure my balls didnt pop out or something, as my last piece was pretty close to my crotch. Both of my thigh pieces were 6 hour + sessions.

• 3 months later...

I did end up getting this tattoo early September, painful but not the end of the world. Came out fantastic and I absolutely adore it. Tattooing is extremely addictive though and not even four months later and I have just finished the outline of a massive tattoo that spans over a foot of ribs, belly and hip and had me crying like crazy on the table. It still needs to be completely colored in, it is solid vivid color tattoo of the castle of hogwarts