Diffrence between Custom Tattoo shop and other ones.

Nathan B

So I finally go an appointment to get my first tattoo - which is going to be a band of roses (black and grey) around my forearm like the picture - for Thursday, 6 days from now. The tattoo shop calls itself a custom tattoo shop and I was just wondering what the actual difference is between CUSTOM tattoo shops and the other one. Do they draw directly on your skin from scratch? And not trace a flash sheet or something? Is it more risky to get a tattoo from a custom shop than it is from a normal shop?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Nathan B

Custom means the artist draws up a one of a kind design for the client vs picking a design from a sheet of flash. One is not necessarily better than the other but a shop might charge more for the former. Most do both these days at least in my experience. There is a difference between a street shop that takes walk ins vs by appointment only but again one is not better than the other though the latter might charge more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no hard set rule. Some shops say theyre a street shop, others a custom shop, but most will do either. Some shops (typically very renown shops) only do appointments, so they wouldnt really be a "street shop", but the titles dont hold much significance now a days. Back in the 60s and 70s during the tattoo "reconnaissance" fronted by Ed Hardy, a shop would advertise that they did custom work, which was in refference to shops that only had premade designs, so it was a big deal to get a custom made design. Now a days most shops do custom work as well as flash so the titles dont hold much meaning anymore.