Detailed Tattoo Roses

Nathan B

So I finally decided that I am going to get my first tattoo on my inner forearm, which is going to be the roses below. As you can see, the roses below are detailed and shaded. However when I look at my tattoo artists portfolio, his work is like 99% black and white/grey, which is good, however I have not seen many roses that were detailed. I have seen tattoos that he has done but they are not as detailed. However, the artist himself can do very detailed work on other things. I am just worried right now because this is my first tattoo and I want it to be exactly as the picture. Any advices? should I ask the artist flat out if he is capable of doing detailed roses? or should I get another appointment??

Thanks in advance

Roses Tattoo.jpg

If he is capable of doing detailed work he should be capable if doing detailed roses. If you are unsure just ask him. Most of these concerns can be discussed with your tattooer. You dont need a middle man.

I would also advise you not to be concerned about it being exactly like the photo given. Every artist is different and does things differently. If he does good work he will do a good tattoo on you. Take it from someone with allot of tattoos. My first few tattoos I was so concerned about it being exactly like the photo I showed them, and they didnt turn out as well because of that. They would have looked better if I would have just let them do their thing. Now I just let the tattooer do whatever they want. Trust your tattooer. They've been doing this longer than youve wanted to be tattooed. You are over thinking it.

20 hours ago, a_beukeveld said:

Trust your tattooer. They've been doing this longer than youve wanted to be tattooed. You are over thinking it.

Agreed.  I have three tattoos, so I'm by no means the expert that some people are on this board, but I have found that bringing in a few different reference pieces and then letting the artist create something all their own is really the way to go.  You need to trust them.  And no good tattooer is going to copy someone else's work exactly anyway (at least that's my experience -- good artists respect each others' work and don't want to rip each other off).  Find a good artist, trust them, put in your two cents, and you'll end up with a piece that's uniquely yours.  Good luck :).

Edited by Kate1939
typo

You can have a good idea of what you want—black and gray roses—but yeah, don't go in saying, "I want it exactly like this." You will find yourself out on your ear because most accomplished tattoo artists aren't going to copy something exactly. Why would you want them to? Let him do his own take on it, and you'll end up with something much better.