Any Tips???????

Nathan B

So I'm getting my first tattoo tomorrow and I'm superrr Excited!!! I've been preparing for quite some time now. I bought a non-scented lotion all that good stuff. I was just wondering if there is anything that you guys can tell me that I do not know yet. Aftercare, what to do beforehand, etc. Any tips would be helpful.

Thank you in advance. 

What are you getting? How big and where?

Best advice: get plenty of sleep, eat a lot of food before you go, bring water (and a snack if you'll be there awhile), and just relax and enjoy it.

Everyone has their aftercare routine, but mine is first 2-3 days lots of washing and very light aquaphor, then switching to lotion once the peel starts on day 3-4. That's it.

5 hours ago, otisc said:

Best advice: get plenty of sleep, eat a lot of food before you go, bring water (and a snack if you'll be there awhile), and just relax and enjoy it.

Everyone has their aftercare routine, but mine is first 2-3 days lots of washing and very light aquaphor, then switching to lotion once the peel starts on day 3-4. That's it.

I'd agree to all of this.  Make sure the aquaphor is definitely VERY light, you want the tattoo to breathe.  I don't know where your placement is, but I also like to give my tattoo lots of air time.  Once the (light) aquaphor is on, I let the tattoo breathe whenever I can.  Not sure if this actually does anything, but I'm a pretty fast healer, so maybe it helps (?).  Also I'd say whatever snack you bring, make sure it has some sugar in it -- depending on how long you're sitting, you'll want to keep your sugar levels up so you don't crash out.  Keep those glucose levels up!  Dress comfortably, and enjoy the ride :).  Good luck and congrats!

Make sure you listen to your artist. He/she will give you instructions on aftercare as well. My only alteration was to use Aquaphor instead of A&D for the first few days - and VERY light is truly the key for both the Aquaphor and the lotion until you are healed and the peeling and any scabbing is gone.

Your skin needs air to heal - one of the major factors behind the many folks who advocate for a dry heal. Whatever you wear it should cover the tattoo to protect it from the sun and the poking of curious people, but not be constricting or chafing.

I'm scheduled to be in the chair on Saturday so I'll be right behind you in the healing process!!  Enjoy the experience!

12 minutes ago, Devious6 said:

Your skin needs air to heal - one of the major factors behind the many folks who advocate for a dry heal. Whatever you wear it should cover the tattoo to protect it from the sun and the poking of curious people, but not be constricting or chafing.

Just to add to this, I've had good luck on my back tattoo with shirts made for hiking -- lightweight, breathable, soft material.  Don't wear anything that has fluffy bits on the inside that could get inside the open wound for the first few days.  Also, always dry your tattoo with paper towels.  Same concept.  Regular towels can have fluff that can get into your tattoo (also they can harbor all sorts of nasties even when they're "clean").

Good luck, Devious!  Have a great time Saturday! :)

Edited by Kate1939